Secure handgun storage

HotCarl

So I typically keep my glock19 in my night stand in a holster. Wife has been on me to move to a more secure storage system (we dont have any children in the house yet) and I tend to agree.

What do you guys use?

I would like to keep it somewhat accessible in an emergency but still secure.

I got one of these a few years back cause it seemed cool, was $90 during some Amazon sale.

https://www.amazon.com/GunVault-Speedvault-Biometric-Pistol-SVB500/dp/B006OGOHD0/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=gun+safe&qid=1596826848&refinements=p_89%3AGunVault%7CSentrySafe&rnid=2528832011&s=hunting-fishing&sr=1-5

41vdQFO23sL._AC_.jpg

The idea is alright, but in reality it is bigger, slower to open, and louder than I expected. Regardless, I'm not sure what other, better options there are nowadays.

With no kids, why does she want it more secure and slower to access?

exactly my thought... and is still my same view even when my son was young and all the way through now that he is older ( 10 almost 11)

teach them right and keep a eye on them. No reason to add more slower access and fail points when trying to protect your own life.

IF YOU MUST lock it up I would go with a mechanical only such as Fort Knox FTK-PB... no error of finger reading, no batteries ,simple

exactly my thought... and is still my same view even when my son was young and all the way through now that he is older ( 10 almost 11)

teach them right and keep a eye on them. No reason to add more slower access and fail points when trying to protect your own life.

IF YOU MUST lock it up I would go with a mechanical only such as Fort Knox FTK-PB... no error of finger reading, no batteries ,simple

Bringo.

What's she afraid of, that the pistol will develop a personality and go AWOL at 3:00 am? Educate her.

No kids.... yet. that will change January 9th.

Regardless, it's just the responsible thing to do. I don't have an issue with it as long as it's easily accessible. I'm not a huge fan of digital locks or codes unless they have some sort of key or analog backup. I did look at a few today, the Fort Knox received good reviews but its huge, heavy and expensive.

Bringo.

What's she afraid of, that the pistol will develop a personality and go AWOL at 3:00 am? Educate her.

Not at all, and there's no irrattional fear. It's more of part of being a new parent for the first time. She's never cared about my handgun on the nightstand before but now its, making sure plug covers are on all the outlets and buying strollers and foam padding for the fireplace which apparently we need?!

alot of changes are happening in our home, this is just one of them.

I held off replying, because I tend to be a bit matter of fact. Most of it has been said though. This is a comfort issue. She's not comfortable, because she is not educated. You started out with "no kids in the house", now it sounds like one is on the way? If that is the case, of course she is in mother mode. But remind her, you need to stay in father mode. And, slowing down the ability to protect the family is like putting a lock, not just a plug, over every outlet.

So what is the compromise? Go get everything needed to "baby/toddler proof" the house. Help her install it all. However, she must put in the time to be familiar with the firearms too. Hidden storage is likely your best answer for both of you.

This concept seems reasonable.

I held off replying, because I tend to be a bit matter of fact. Most of it has been said though. This is a comfort issue. She's not comfortable, because she is not educated. You started out with "no kids in the house", now it sounds like one is on the way? If that is the case, of course she is in mother mode. But remind her, you need to stay in father mode. And, slowing down the ability to protect the family is like putting a lock, not just a plug, over every outlet.

So what is the compromise? Go get everything needed to "baby/toddler proof" the house. Help her install it all. However, she must put in the time to be familiar with the firearms too. Hidden storage is likely your best answer for both of you.

This concept seems reasonable.

That's a cool idea. When I get around to building my own bedroom suite I'll have to incorporate that into the design.