What basic daily you driving ?

STEVE-O

Going through the long list of cars I have owned has me not excited for much in the realm of say $5,000 or under daily drivers..

Been tossing around a volt , civic , sonata etc

Something just basic , good mpg, low maintenance cost .

What are some of the best no frill vehicles you have daily driven and just rack the miles up changing oil ,brakes and tires

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are some of the best no frill vehicles you have daily driven and just rack the miles up changing oil ,brakes and tires

Having been "grounded" from work travel I've had a chance to really spend some time in my sons little corolla and for the money it's dang nice. Just don't try and pass anyone on a two lane road unless you want to die.

Should easily last 250k miles and from what I've seen they are bulletproof reliable. The latest gens are actually really nice looking for a compact car and can be had cheap with low miles on them. Not $5k cheap though.

Had a Volt for 3 years, and would do again.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Currently daily driving my 13 with almost 100k miles. Only thing it needed was a software update. No issues whatsoever.

Im looking and there are a couple for sale, nothing exciting with these and that is kinda of what I am looking for. However the ones with fair miles seem to be priced on FB higher than space x shuttles. Im not pressed so there is no way Im paying 8-9k when it should be priced more like 4-6

I dont care to much about the whole battery part as the range is pretty low but everyone seems to have the opinion that they are decent on fuel and better that they are actually comfortable to drive.

I am going to look at a civic hybrid with good miles for a fair price but I have never really driven one before ( girlfriend had one and said it was her favorite vehicle taking multiple trips from cali to ohio without issue

Im looking and there are a couple for sale, nothing exciting with these and that is kinda of what I am looking for.

I dont care to much about the whole battery part as the range is pretty low but everyone seems to have the opinion that they are decent on fuel and better that they are actually comfortable to drive.

Depends on how much you drive and what roads you go on. I have a 220V charger in my garage, so the charge times were tolerable. On a weekend, doing multiple short trips back-and-forth from the house I would never use gas. During the week the gas engine could turn on for part of the commute home. Highway driving kills your battery range. I got 49 miles out of the battery a few times, but ~45 mph seems to be the tipping point.

Daily my golf TDI but have been really considering Tesla model 3.

I will say I am a fan of the tdi. I would highly consider a jetta sportwagon but again I use to see these all day for 4k and now it seems everyone thinks they are worth 10k... Not a chance in my position Im taking that deal

Kind of partial to old S10s for simple daily duties. Haven’t had one in a while but they are simple little things that aren’t hard to keep going cheap. Unfortunately it’s hard to find them now that aren’t falling apart completely. I drive my old 2006 Silverado now and I’m going to try and hit 300k+ on it, I hate new trucks and really want to see 400k+ but we’ll see.

I still love my wife's 2006 audi a3, even though it went from her DD to her play car. It's a base model, no options, 2006 A3 6mt 2.0T. Maintenance has been cheap thanks to ECS and FCP Euro - most of the car has parts that cross reference with the MK 5 GTI. The car is really sensitive to maintenance, there are a couple of cheap things and cheap upgrades that if you do them ahead of time you avoid expensive repairs. timing belt service is evey 70-80K miles, and expensive if you pay a shop but cheap if you DIY - just know that the front of the car has to come off and it will take you a weekend to do. Cam follower for the fuel pump needs to be done every 30k miles but it's like $20. Beware the options creep - it's tempting to want to get one with a lot of options and a dsg but the more options you have the more likely it's going to cost you in repairs.

not fuel efficient, but every jeep I've had with the 4.0L inline 6 has been fairly reliable, and dirt cheap to fix. XJs are starting to go up in price so maybe look at a comanchee pickup. Even first gen grand cherokees with the six are reliable. you can even get a 5.9L 1998 GC under $5K if you look hard enough and that's a real fun jeep to drive.

The best advice I can give you though - whatever you buy, buy a stick car. An appliance like economy car is always less soul sucking if you have to row your own gears.

Kind of partial to old S10s for simple daily duties. Haven’t had one in a while but they are simple little things that aren’t hard to keep going cheap. Unfortunately it’s hard to find them now that aren’t falling apart completely. I drive my old 2006 Silverado now and I’m going to try and hit 300k+ on it, I hate new trucks and really want to see 400k+ but we’ll see.
I must be getting old because, unless you need the utility of the truck bed, I would hate driving an S10 every day. They fold like a piece of paper in a crash and aren't that comfortable. I must be too pampered but my daily needs to have comfortable, heated seats, decent ride quality, and be relatively quiet inside.

I should add with the Volt that you mentioned wanting a car that's cheap on maintenance, like tires, brakes, and oil changes. On the Volt you may only change the oil once a year (depending on how often the engine runs), with regen the brakes barely wear, and I only filled it with gas once every 3 months (or more).

just know that the front of the car has to come off and it will take you a weekend to do.

Im not here to argue but that's not accurate. There would be no reason to remove anything on the front end on a tranverse car to do a belt and water pump. It can also be done in a few hours.

I do think those cars are good cars though. I miss my A3 some days.

I've also been WFH since April, and that includes my 2019 Lincoln MKC company car being turned off (fuel, mileage reimbursement). Out of my 6 cars I've put most of the miles on my '01 Silverado V6, but admittedly that's been focused mostly on NW Columbus with a few errands to Sunbury, New Albany, downtown, etc...

Paid-off junk FTW.

I will say I am a fan of the tdi. I would highly consider a jetta sportwagon but again I use to see these all day for 4k and now it seems everyone thinks they are worth 10k... Not a chance in my position Im taking that deal

Depends on the model but they are worth that because they are appreciating in value. I just mentioned I considered selling my GSW on vortex and ive had multiple people message me asking to buy it. The demand is there for the right one.

Current daily is a 2006 Civic LX 4 door. Boring as they come! 145k miles, 5 speed, everything works and it is all stock. Upper 30s for MPG and can sit for weeks and be driven anywhere with no work or effort. Civic has been my go-to answer for utility transportation for decades. Oil changes, filters, tires, and brakes are just about it for maintenance.

XJs are starting to go up in price so maybe look at a comanchee pickup.

People are asking for top dollar on hacked together Heeps and rusted out POS's. Shouldn't be surprised, but finding a decent XJ is getting very tough. Got lucky with mine, 120k on it and not falling apart. That was 2 years ago, though.

I was recently gifted a 2002 Tahoe 4WD from my father in law after I kind of fell in love with it after servicing it for him. I actually ended up selling my 17 Civic to Carmax, I felt nothing for that car compared to the truck. No car payment and I can actually haul stuff without having to borrow a truck from someone or rent from somewhere.

I should add with the Volt that you mentioned wanting a car that's cheap on maintenance, like tires, brakes, and oil changes. On the Volt you may only change the oil once a year (depending on how often the engine runs), with regen the brakes barely wear, and I only filled it with gas once every 3 months (or more).

I'd love to move my wife over to an electric like the volt but she's stuck in SUV land......

A volt or Tesla 3 would be ideal for her running around locally. Even if she wandered to the farther stores she'd likely be able to do it all on battery and wouldn't have to worry about gas.

I must be getting old because, unless you need the utility of the truck bed, I would hate driving an S10 every day. They fold like a piece of paper in a crash and aren't that comfortable. I must be too pampered but my daily needs to have comfortable, heated seats, decent ride quality, and be relatively quiet inside.

Well I work on my own stuff, being a mechanic paying someone else would just be dumb. I admit I wouldn’t take a road trip in an S10, but they’re super simplistic vehicles.

I’ll add as far as a Volt goes you are correct, I think I have seen brakes put on a Volt twice and it was recently. We were talking about how little they really use the brakes and how none of us at work have had to do them. Decent cars with only a few issues, problem is when the heat goes out (that electric heater is one of the few things we see very often), it’s a big job digging it off the firewall and replacing it. So is the noisey bearing in the transmission when it goes bad. It’s hard to judge how common some of these issues really are because it’s not a popular car at all. Overall there isn’t much else I see them at the dealership for.

Im not here to argue but that's not accurate. There would be no reason to remove anything on the front end on a tranverse car to do a belt and water pump. It can also be done in a few hours.

It's been a few years but IIRC the front has to be put into service position at least. yeah I suppose if you are a pro and used to being a little blind while taking out and putting in bolts you can do it without even that. At the time I did mine, I ended up doing a water pump, a t-stat, and a bunch of other preventative things at the same time so I ended up taking the whole rad support off - made the job so much easier.

The '01 Passat and '02 Jetta I had both said to disassemble most everything in front of the windshield basically for a water pump. VAG lol. Never again. YMMV.

Affordable, boring, decent MPGs, and reliable? Camry or Accord. The end.

I personally prefer the Camry but we've taken a variant of both to nearly 300k with nothing other than oil changes and tires and they have lived on after we sold them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

People are asking for top dollar on hacked together Heeps and rusted out POS's. Shouldn't be surprised, but finding a decent XJ is getting very tough. Got lucky with mine, 120k on it and not falling apart. That was 2 years ago, though.

True, but there are some out there that look good on the surface anyway. They're gonna suck on gas though.