Happy Wife Happy Life- 78 Corvette "resto"

coltboostin

JP, would be interested in seeing some more pics of the paint job work, any interior/exterior/engine shots.

Douglas tires? Had to google those...they are in my price range. :)

This is all I have readily available.

i-SMnwVPp-X2.jpg

This is after probably the first actual cleaning of the leather in many, many years. Wish I took a before pic!

i-fkzT7dB-X2.jpg

white with a red gut is so pretty.

Couple of things I recommend:

- Brakes. The C3 brakes are actually pretty great (4 opposed piston calipers) but they are old tech and require maintenance to keep working right (fluid flush once a season to prevent air inclusion from the old tech seals). Wilwood makes a 6 piston opposed caliper that bolts over stock rotors and fits inside stock wheels. modern car braking for less than $1000.

https://www.zip-corvette.com/65-82-d8-6-wilwood-6-piston-front-brake-kit-red.html

- Induction. I love carbs but they are just fuel toilets for an engine. Consider a holley sniper if you are going to drive the car more than just an occasional weekend. Better reliability, consistent fueling, and you don't have to worry about ring wear like you do with a carb engine. Plus you get a rev limiter, the ability to run electronic fans, and if you want to go crazy - timing with the holley distributor.

- rear hatch: If you can find it, the 1982 collectors edition had a rear hatch like yours but it opened. It was a kit made by C&C (now defunct) that GM actually used on their own cars, but anybody could retrofit it to any 1978-1982 C3. NOS C&C kits come up for sale every once in a while for big money, but if you look around you can sometimes find someone parting out a 1982 CE and grab all the hardware and hatch for cheap. It makes the car so much more useful, but it's going to take time and patience (and money) to track down the parts.

white with a red gut is so pretty.

Couple of things I recommend:

- Brakes. The C3 brakes are actually pretty great (4 opposed piston calipers) but they are old tech and require maintenance to keep working right (fluid flush once a season to prevent air inclusion from the old tech seals). Wilwood makes a 6 piston opposed caliper that bolts over stock rotors and fits inside stock wheels. modern car braking for less than $1000.

https://www.zip-corvette.com/65-82-d8-6-wilwood-6-piston-front-brake-kit-red.html

- Induction. I love carbs but they are just fuel toilets for an engine. Consider a holley sniper if you are going to drive the car more than just an occasional weekend. Better reliability, consistent fueling, and you don't have to worry about ring wear like you do with a carb engine. Plus you get a rev limiter, the ability to run electronic fans, and if you want to go crazy - timing with the holley distributor.

- rear hatch: If you can find it, the 1982 collectors edition had a rear hatch like yours but it opened. It was a kit made by C&C (now defunct) that GM actually used on their own cars, but anybody could retrofit it to any 1978-1982 C3. NOS C&C kits come up for sale every once in a while for big money, but if you look around you can sometimes find someone parting out a 1982 CE and grab all the hardware and hatch for cheap. It makes the car so much more useful, but it's going to take time and patience (and money) to track down the parts.

All great info.

The PO has literally just spent $1,200 renewing the entire braking systsem+bearings before selling it. May sound silly, but it really stops like a new car!