What boat to buy

coltboostin

So 2 buddies and I want to get a boat. We figure none of us want to use it 24/7, but between the 3 of us it I will get used all summer. We all have kids, figure 1-7 yrs old. They have not had boats before. I have had Jet skis, 17', 21' inboard and outboard.

They seem to want 28-32+ range with a small cabin. I like a 21-23 with an open bow for day use, and so we have flexibility on when and wear to use it. 2 out of 3 of us have vehicles that can town a 23. No one can tow a 28+ lol, so I think anything binger than 25 will be kept in the water, which adds doc fees. A plus and minus, plus as it’s a destination: and many marinas up here are like little resort communities with pools and what not.

In short- what would CR recommend? Budget is between $1 and $10,000.

I honestly don't know the market, but if your top budget is honestly $10k I can't imagine anything in the 28-32 foot range not being old and at least soon to be broken. Is there such a thing as Sea Tow wherever you are or do they cover where you will mostly be? That might be critical with something older, especially once you get two or three families and kids on there!

Almost everyone I know with boats that size that stay around Ohio or even go to some of the bigger lakes down south have open bow boats. But we aren't up near lake Erie so that might play a role in the decision. Speaking of Lake Erie, do you plan on going out on it at all? I would guess a 21-23 foot boat could be small and my impressions is nasty storms can pop up quickly.

I've looked at boats a bit and this is my take on size, but I'm a bit all over the place too. It seems like it's really nice to invite people out and have a ton of space for everyone so open bow is nice. I personally love the idea of a small cabin, but anything small enough to tow by anything but a good full size truck has really small cuddy cabins. Plus it really cuts down on space that you will actually use for more people on a more regular basis for day trips. For us since we don't have kids the cuddy cabin could work for overnights, but we've camped in places without showers for days so it's OK not to have so much space or features. I would guess most people are going to want some shower and a closed off toilet area. I can see that getting big and expensive, but maybe those 28-32 foot boats can fit all of that in there?

I’ve attempted to share a boat with someone. It’s a pain in the ass, for all the reasons you’re probably concerned with deep down.

I’m sure there’s yearly boat memberships in the area. Definitely go that route! You will have various options to choose from, plus the benefits of a private club.

I honestly don't know the market, but if your top budget is honestly $10k I can't imagine anything in the 28-32 foot range not being old and at least soon to be broken.

Almost everyone I know with boats that size that stay around Ohio or even go to some of the bigger lakes down south have open bow boats. But we aren't up near lake Erie so that might play a role in the decision. Speaking of Lake Erie, do you plan on going out on it at all? I would guess a 21-23 foot boat could be small and my impressions is nasty storms can pop up quickly.

Well- 0 to $20k they are comfortable with, but I don't think we should spend that much on something that may be short-lived.

Pop up storms really don't happen up here, it's always a front or something predictable. Also, you are rarely more than 2 miles from shore. Docs all over, so you can be in port in 15-20 basically anywhere you go. the cabin is nice for full day and overlight trips...which is a possiblity if the boak is docked in Sanduask for example.

I’ve attempted to share a boat with someone. It’s a pain in the ass, for all the reasons you’re probably concerned with deep down.

I’m sure there’s yearly boat memberships in the area. Definitely go that route! You will have various options to choose from, plus the benefits of a private club.

I've done it before and it worked really well actually, but I was just an add on. As long as you have a good line of commununcation with the group. I am actually the one that propsoed it to this group. :)

The only "boat club" memberships up here seem retarded expensive. LMK if you see an affordable option?

10k 28 footer lol

Lookin at 20ft donzis, checkmates and they are basically non existent under 10k

There are deals up here, especially now! This guy already told me he would take 9,500. Its a very nice boat in person.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/d/painesville-1994-carver-santego-310/7219470444.html

since that is less than 10k which was your budget, buy boat outright by yourself.

I don't need or want a boat that big lol.

I should add they are willing to pay for a dock during the season if( 1500-2k depending on marina amenities) if I take care of storage (free, lol). It's a good arrangement for everyone.

Well- 0 to $20k they are comfortable with, but I don't think we should spend that much on something that may be short-lived.

Pop up storms really don't happen up here, it's always a front or something predictable. Also, you are rarely more than 2 miles from shore. Docs all over, so you can be in port in 15-20 basically anywhere you go. the cabin is nice for full day and overlight trips...which is a possiblity if the boak is docked in Sanduask for example.

I've done it before and it worked really well actually, but I was just an add on. As long as you have a good line of commununcation with the group. I am actually the one that propsoed it to this group. :)

The only "boat club" memberships up here seem retarded expensive. LMK if you see an affordable option?

There are deals up here, especially now! This guy already told me he would take 9,500. Its a very nice boat in person.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/d/painesville-1994-carver-santego-310/7219470444.html

Expensive yes, but so is owning a cheap boat. Committing upfront, X for a membership takes all the stress and hassle out of everything.

Expensive yes, but so is owning a cheap boat. Committing upfront, X for a membership takes all the stress and hassle out of everything.

IDK, maybe I have been lucky? I have made money on every floating thing I have owned. Just have to buy shit at the right time of the year. Maybe I am due for a fail lol.

Having a Hurricane 232 in FL I can tell you.....you're better off joining a boat club in Lake Erie like JewToys suggested. My boat has been really reliable but the boat slip/lift has been expensive, interior gets banged up, some stuff breaks after a few years, maintenance to keep the Yamaha running right, etc...

I don't even know what's available around CLE, but after initial cost of entry, the monthly rate is very reasonable most places I've seen to get a clean, new, working boat everytime you want to use it.

I don't even know what's available around CLE, but after initial cost of entry, the monthly rate is very reasonable most places I've seen to get a clean, new, working boat everytime you want to use it.

Maybe I am not seeing these services, because the only ones I have priced out seem very expensive.