Let's talk Smoker's and Grill's

Mojoe

I know with Derek's BBQ trailer we don't need to smoke or BBQ our own meat anymore. But, for those that do, what are you working with? I started doing some smoking about 3 years ago. I just wanted venison jerky. I am by no means gifted at a grill or smoker, but I have had some pretty good cooks now. I was working with a pellet grill, Cabela's Pro Series 24. Plenty of room to cook for our small household. We also have a 36" Char Broil propane grill, with side burner, getting rid of that soon. New setup is on order. I found myself with far more grilling items taking up space than what I was using, or wanted. I smoke about 12-15 times a year, and have been grilling less than that. I will likely be doing a lot more in the future. When looking to consolidate for space and functionality, it seemed my options were pretty limited for a smoker with wifi and propane cooking too. I'm not getting rid of propane, because you don't need power to cook with it. It's just a great fall back option to have. The smoker is my main focus though. The tech is out there for good wifi management and app function. Traeger really seems to have a good thing going with theirs, but they don't have a propane option. The issues I was finding is that many companies are putting out a product that has poor material and patchy tech functionality. It truly is a "get what you pay for" mind set for intuitive smoking options. Having an app to manage your smoke really streamlines your efforts for cooks that go over several hours. I'm not talented enough to feed a fire and maintain a certain cooking temp, nor do I want my time taken up with that, so pellet smoking is where it's at for me. When I have a smoke on, I'm doing many other things like fishing the pond, mowing, or working on something in the shop. I can have a wifi meat probe in, and set the app to tell me when the internal temp is where I want it. This is just what works for me and lets me do other things, rather than sit and watch over a cook. You could get a stand alone wifi temp probe that does this, and that's what I have been working with for a year now. But if I'm upgrading, I want an all in one. Remember, I'm consolidating, and I want to do that with functionality too.

Like I said, my new set up is on order. I'd like to hear what you guys run and what you like, or what you dislike when smoking or "working you meat".

I personally picked up a Traeger Ironwood 650 not long ago as I got tired of going out for BBQ. I know alot of people say pellet smokers are not real smokers but meh im not complaining.

The Ironwood has the D2 wildfire system which allows your phone to connect and control the smoker. While its nice I swear they put the worst wireless system in it they could. I had a hell of a time getting it to connect and pretty much had the put the AP right in front of the damn thing. Once it was connected though it was fine. The probe that connects to it doesn't seem very accurate but it gives you a close enough temp. My other complaint is it doesn't look like the App gives you any notifications.

if I could do it over again, Id still get the traeger because I don't want to baby sit the damn thing constantly checking the temp however I think Id get the larger unit. While I probably wont ever "fill" up my 650, it would be nice to have more working room in side.

I'm going to blaspheme with my process below, but the only real BBQ I crave are ribs. Here's what I do to make them at home:

I've used our Instant Pot to cook a rubbed rack of spare ribs 25 min in some vinegar/liquid smoke until it nearly falls off the bone, then throw it in the broiler for 5-7 minutes to crisp it up but not burn. Makes wonderful ribs in less than an hour from mixing the rub to eating the finished product.

Still love smoked meats, but I leave that work to the professionals. ;)

I would say to research Recteg pellet smokers. I have an offset charcoal smoker right now but I am planning on getting one.

Company web site deep link to the model I think would work for what you want:

https://www.recteq.com/RT-700-Wood-Pellet-Grill

Two very active FB groups with tones of knowledge:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RTGOOA/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/784738541708442

One thing to point out is their customer service. It impresses me.

Currently have a Large BGE. Does a great job but its a lot of babysitting. I have intentions of buying a Pitboss KC combo platinum series and building a whole outdoor cooking station sometime in the future. I'd like to integrate the pellet grill, my Large BGE, a mini BGE, my Blackstone griddle (loooove this thing, BTW), and a discada cooking station. Will not be a small project so its gonna be awhile.

Did you lose my phone number? Hahahah

On topic. Ive seen the best reviews for RecTec.. do they offer a combo unit like you're looking for?

Combos are a hard find. I posted about looking on FB and you didn’t reply there. Rectec is nice, but no combo.

I would say to research Recteg pellet smokers. I have an offset charcoal smoker right now but I am planning on getting one.

Company web site deep link to the model I think would work for what you want:

https://www.recteq.com/RT-700-Wood-Pellet-Grill

Two very active FB groups with tones of knowledge:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RTGOOA/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/784738541708442

One thing to point out is their customer service. It impresses me.

Not a combo though.

I think you were saying the same thing when we talked about this. Just walking by the Pit Boss stuff makes me not consider it, seems like it would fall apart if you looked at it wrong. Maybe I should have looked at it just to give it a fair shake.

The Cuisinart in the pictures looks about the same. It looks like all of the propane grills I've had that fall apart from rust after 3 years. But again, maybe I'm being too harsh just based on pictures.

The Camp Chef system does look awesome.

The RecTec looks nice, mabye what I'll do if anyone has anything bad to say about the Webber ones.

Anyone have any thoughts or info about the Webbers? The are expensive but felt like a tank when I checked it out in person at Lowes.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/wood-pellet-grills/smokefire-series/22510201.html

I'm not so concerned with smoking but I want to cook over 'real' fire without having to make a fire. So ability to grill is more important to me.

I'm tired of buying a new one every few years, so I want something that will last. It will mostly stay outside, but I can cover it. I think I even got a cover with my last one and it fell apart so I stopped using it, then it rust.

Sorry to slightly thread jack Joe!

I'm going to blaspheme with my process below, but the only real BBQ I crave are ribs. Here's what I do to make them at home:

I've used our Instant Pot to cook a rubbed rack of spare ribs 25 min in some vinegar/liquid smoke until it nearly falls off the bone, then throw it in the broiler for 5-7 minutes to crisp it up but not burn. Makes wonderful ribs in less than an hour from mixing the rub to eating the finished product.

Still love smoked meats, but I leave that work to the professionals. ;)

I've done Instant pot ribs twice. Same process you've used. Both turned out amazing.

Started smoking on a Brinkman tiny barrel style smoker, did all the mods i could find and got 2nd place in a rib competition :gabe: (lost to Derek). Got rid of this when I built the UDS

https://www.amazon.com/brinkmann-852-7080-7-gourmet-charcoal-smoker/dp/b000hvce24

Built a Ugly Drum Smoker and it works great and I like it a lot, but I am about to retire it.

Bought a electric Bradley briquettes smoker, its not bad, but I don't like electric smokers and we basically just use it for an outdoor oven or holding area to keep food warm.

https://www.bradleysmoker.com/us/product/4-rack-bradley-original-smoker/?v=7516fd43adaa

Bought a Masterbuilt 560 Gravity fed Charcoal unit, love it for smoking, hate it for grilling, takes too long to get going, propane wins that battle hands down.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/gravity-series-560-digital-charcoal-grill-smoker

Just bought a Charbroil 4 burner gas grill, works great for quick weeknight cooks.

https://www.charbroil.com/performance-series-4-burner-gas-grill-463342119

I also have a small portable propane smoker that can fit 2 racks of ribs OR a pork butt, used it twice and its great to throw in a car and take to a tailgate or camping for a weekend. It uses the little green tanks so that's kind of a pain.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Masterbuilt-MPS-20B-Patio-2-Portable-Propane-Smoker/1000386175

I think you were saying the same thing when we talked about this. Just walking by the Pit Boss stuff makes me not consider it, seems like it would fall apart if you looked at it wrong. Maybe I should have looked at it just to give it a fair shake.

The Cuisinart in the pictures looks about the same. It looks like all of the propane grills I've had that fall apart from rust after 3 years. But again, maybe I'm being too harsh just based on pictures.

The Camp Chef system does look awesome.

The RecTec looks nice, mabye what I'll do if anyone has anything bad to say about the Webber ones.

Anyone have any thoughts or info about the Webbers? The are expensive but felt like a tank when I checked it out in person at Lowes.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/wood-pellet-grills/smokefire-series/22510201.html

I'm not so concerned with smoking but I want to cook over 'real' fire without having to make a fire. So ability to grill is more important to me.

I'm tired of buying a new one every few years, so I want something that will last. It will mostly stay outside, but I can cover it. I think I even got a cover with my last one and it fell apart so I stopped using it, then it rust.

Sorry to slightly thread jack Joe!

I think this vid talks about that Webber for his dad in the beginning. Embedding is kicking my ass.

I don't smoke any meats myself but I thoroughly enjoy them. IMO Derek and my uncle have, hands down, the best smoked meats. Derek is a pro. That much is obv. The only brisket I've had that rivals his is my uncles. He loves his Pit Barrel Cooker so much he bought a second one. He also hauled it to Destin last month so we could have smoked meats on game day.

I dunno anything about them except that he uses them and makes some of the best smoked everything I've ever had.

I have one similar to this Kamado well my brother and one of my good friends too now and we all love them. Basically the offbrand green egg. Its amazing.

There is a little bit of "upkeep" compared to the pellet smokers but I think thats part of the process and if you enjoy being the "Grillman" at the cookout you will absolutely enjoy watching over the smoker.

There are a billion of things out there. Biggest advice I can say is start early and keep it low and slow.

One thing these lump coal smokers can do is get hot, way to hot quickly so that is a huge negative compared to the pellet smokers which I understand are a lot easier to control.

Just decide what kind of smoker you want more hands on (get one like this Kamado or Big Green egg/ etc.) if you want a more set it and forget it approach look into a pellet smoker. I have another buddy that has a pellet and he loves it and he's provided some pretty good smoked meats too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-Akorn-Kamado-Kooker-Charcoal-Grill-in-Sapphire-Blue-E56720/301919839?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-28_22_BBQ_GRILL-MULTI-NA-Feed-SMART-NA-NA-SMART_SHP&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-28_22_BBQ_GRILL-MULTI-NA-Feed-SMART-NA-NA-SMART_SHP-71700000070663294-58700006219952023-92700056187966501&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-_eS17uN7QIV5_HjBx3Tjg5EEAQYAiABEgJ95vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I understand the newer more tech type smokers and the draw to them but I still rock out stick smokers. I enjoy the cook process more than the food these days. I've been smoking stuff for 25 years so I've eaten a metric shit ton of bbq. I've competed in competitions (and did pretty good) but mostly just enjoy cooking so do it mostly for family and friends. I give most of what I cook away these days. I guess I understand some just want to eat bbq but for me it's always about the process so the more hands on the better. It's taken me forever to even start using a meat thermometer and I still rarely use it to check for temps but more to poke for tenderness haha.

I gave away a few smokers the last year or 2 (at one time I had 7) and now I'm down to a chargriller side box and an oklahoma joe bandera. The OKJ is probably my favorite smoker I've ever owned. Just cooks really nice and since it's a vertical offset it's pretty efficient. I also have a propane box I wag around on vacations and stuff because it fits in front of the 5th wheel hitch in the truck haha

I like seeing the variations in how you all like to smoke. I'm not closed minded to one being the best. Whatever works for you and you enjoy the food and the process, that's what's right for you.

xlr8n and Greg bring up a good topic on taking one on vacation. A vacation smoker has been a quest for me for over a year now. We spend two weeks on the lake in the Summer and I have several hunting and fishing trips planned in the years coming. Having the ability to smoke on these trips would be great. I bought a Green Mountain, the Davy Crockett, smoker last year and it was terrible. Hours on the phone with tech. Replaced controller, wouldn't regulate heat temp, so the cook took forever and it wasn't very good. Had to finish it in the oven. It was suppose to have wifi and control through their app, that was inconsistent and sucked too. Got rid of that thing. Traeger has a tailgater, or something like that, but I'm hearing that it is having heat control issues. I don't want one with folding legs, I like the "tailgate" cook idea. I ordered this one yesterday. Seems it is only sold by Walmart online. For $200 it's hard to expect much, or care if it fails. Reviews seem good, I can return it if it sucks. I'm heading out to Branson, MO in few weeks and plan to do a cook there with it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Country-Smokers-The-Traveler-Portable-Wood-Pellet-Grill/572860654

I ordered this one yesterday. Seems it is only sold by Walmart online. For $200 it's hard to expect much, or care if it fails. Reviews seem good, I can return it if it sucks. I'm heading out to Branson, MO in few weeks and plan to do a cook there with it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Country-Smokers-The-Traveler-Portable-Wood-Pellet-Grill/572860654

Facebook ads keep trying to get me to buy one just like that, VERY curious what your thoughts are when you get it. I love the idea of a portable pellet smoker. I have also heard that pellet smokers have issues getting a true smokey flavor into the meat because the pellets are so dry they don't actually put off much smoke. have you encountered that?