2020 car goals??

cstmg8

2020:

Get new garage built

Reassemble Fiero crapcan racer

Garage MIGHT be done by year's end...then can move a bunch of stuff to make room to work on Fiero

Fiero - finally (?) done removing stuff - have lots of pieces and parts and starting som assembly.

2021:

Actually assemble car and RACE!

Karting again as the primary. Bought a small enclosed trailer to help haul stuff. My son moves to a new class and we are going to test with my daughter in the kid kart so may have 3 karts Racing in a given weekend! I’m going chasing on a Yamaha masters championship again so it’ll be another 14+ race weekend year.

The FD i’d like to drive it. Hoping to do at least one track day with it too. I have parts sitting on the shelf for an intercooler upgrade and better water tank for the water/meth injection. Also would like to relocate the battery and put on the upgraded fuel pump wiring I’ve got for it...but all of those take 2nd priority to karting.

Other big thing will be finding a replacement for my wife’s daily that we can both agree on....probably the biggest hurdle of anything I’m listing. Hahahaha

Thankfully was able to kart with the family navigating thru various restrictions and protocols. Won the Yamaha Masters championship as desired and bought the new engine package for a new class and challenge next year.

My son made huge strides in his driving this year which I’m very proud of. He went from driving a 2.5hp kid kart to a 13hp cadet kart and was growing every time. My daughter got in the kid kart for some races but got spooked after being bashed by other kids a few times. We’ll see if she wants to try again next year.

Drove the FD on the street, but not a ton and never made it on track. It’ll be back there at some point though.

Never got a new daily for the wife as we parked our cars like many for most of the year. That’ll be a bigger priority next year likely.

Never got a new daily for the wife as we parked our cars like many for most of the year. That’ll be a bigger priority next year likely.

Goal for 2020 was to get rid of mine. Achieved. Traded it in and am going to simply rock my wife's old SUV until we turn in the lease in a couple months. From there I'll drive my son's car as work has grounded us from "travel" until at minimum the end of March. I really have no need for a vehicle. I'm not even yet sure I'll get one in 2021!

What a crazy feeling....

I am going to set my goal to something that I should be able to achieve and say that I just want to finish up the 6.0 LS motor swap in the IROC. I have collected nearly every part and the motor and trans are coming back from the engine and trans shop so I should get all of that by the first of the year. The rear is at the powercoaters and that should also be done next week then back to the rear guy for assembly. Then, the fun begins (along with the million other things I realized I missed and still need to buy most likely). I hear all the time how cheap these swaps are supposed to be, but I definitely have found that absolutely is not the case if you want them done right!

No swap is ever cheap unless you fab everything yourself and have access to free extra parts.

Absolutely! I know and have talked with folks that have done this swap for under a grand, but I prefer not to use a junkyard engine with 200K miles and basically rig everything up. This swap was done with the emphasis on reliability and longevity, so basically everything is either new or rebuilt. I wanted a car that I could drive and enjoy. We all know 3rd gens are not known for their breathtaking performance (certainly not anymore), so it will be nice to have something that will be quicker than the average minivan. Definitely not building a race car, just something with a little get up that is also fun to drive. When done, the entire brakes, suspension and complete driveline will be updated so it has been done as a complete package. I always lived by the motto of figuring out what you think it will cost and then doubling it, but this project has tripled it and then some! Oh well, that is cars for you!