My garage build

Tractor

I've seen that stuff out on job sites didn't really think of it in this application but would work good except I really only have 6-7 outlet locations per circuit and two circuits going opposite directions around the building to reach all the points. Then just a few runs going up a single 3/4 EMT to feed the lights from the switch box. Should be pretty easy.

• 2 weeks later...

20210219-204151.jpg

I finished the lighting Friday night. I'm at about 100 lumens per square foot and I'm very happy with that.

I spent the weekend moving stuff from my storage into the garage. I don't have shelves yet but the local Sears store got liquidated and I contacted the manager so I should be picking up a bunch of their pallet racking this week so I'll have 12ft tall heavy duty shelves along the back wall.

Thanks guys. Weather is nice so I have a plan to build some shelving and work bench combos so if I finish my job early today I'll probably take my truck over to Lowe's and get materials. Since I do everything in sketchup I already have the details worked out and I'm pretty quick with woodworking so I'll have that roughed in in a few hours as I get time this week. I'll also likey be setting up my central work bench in the next few days.

I put my truck in the garage to see how it would work before I went off to Lowes to get shelving material. I'll have room to walk around all sides and do work.

20210224-155306.jpg

I had a bunch of scrap laying around so I whipped up a quick dolly for one of my work tables. I should have scrap plywood when I'm done with the shelves and I'll add it to the bottom to make another shelf as well as putting a larger piece of nice MDF or something on the table top as a good work surface.

20210225-151846.jpg

I put my truck in the garage to see how it would work before I went off to Lowes to get shelving material. I'll have room to walk around all sides and do work.

20210224-155306.jpg

I had a bunch of scrap laying around so I whipped up a quick dolly for one of my work tables. I should have scrap plywood when I'm done with the shelves and I'll add it to the bottom to make another shelf as well as putting a larger piece of nice MDF or something on the table top as a good work surface.

20210225-151846.jpg

Don't have a heart attack when you see lumber prices!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Oh god I know. I got this building in before steel went up, at this point if I tried it out of wood it would have been more expensive for sure just for materials. I'm glad I got my deck built Nov 2019, I still have my old design spreadsheets and I paid 25% the price I would today so about 1100 vs 4400.

Just going to throw out an idea/recommendation. If you're going to have a battery charging station/area. When you are wiring it I would wire in some sort of timer into the circuit, so you can put a battery on to charge, set the timer for an hour maybe, then walk away. I'm planning on modifying my shop to do that as well.

One of my neighbors had a 16x20 wood shop behind his house that burned to the ground earlier this week. The fire marshal is pretty sure it was the battery chargers that started the fire. My chargers are currently unplugged, but I know eventually I'll slip back into my bad habits of leaving a battery on the charge and walking away. The fire marshal said he's been investigating a lot of fires lately and the battery/chargers are the source.

I've had this thought too. I have a good amount lithium batteries for flashlights, power tools, camping gear, etc.

The only ones I feel mostly comfortable charging overnight/unattended are my milwaukee batteries, though maybe that's even a mistake.

I've considered buying a "flammable storage cabinet" for all my rechargeable battery storage, or even a small benchtop one for chargers themselves. The question always becomes heat build up if it were really closed. Not sure what the best answer is other than unplugging them always. You can buy inline plug-in timers pretty reasonably though, so no need to hardwire an old school mechanical wall timer in my mind.

I've had this thought too. I have a good amount lithium batteries for flashlights, power tools, camping gear, etc.

The only ones I feel mostly comfortable charging overnight/unattended are my milwaukee batteries, though maybe that's even a mistake.

I've considered buying a "flammable storage cabinet" for all my rechargeable battery storage, or even a small benchtop one for chargers themselves. The question always becomes heat build up if it were really closed. Not sure what the best answer is other than unplugging them always. You can buy inline plug-in timers pretty reasonably though, so no need to hardwire an old school mechanical wall timer in my mind.

Since my wiring is external to the wall, one of my thoughts is to pull off the single box and put on a double box. Then I can have the outlet, and the timer switch side by side. Something like this should do the trick, and will add a lot of piece of mind.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-500-Watt-60-Minute-In-Wall-Digital-Timer-R62-6161T-1LW/202051145

That's a really good idea. I was thinking of a switch on my charging outlet but I like the idea of a timer. I know milwaukee's charging stations go bad if left plugged in without a battery to charge. Don't know if it's bad to leave them tending a battery.

One of my neighbors had a 16x20 wood shop behind his house that burned to the ground earlier this week. The fire marshal is pretty sure it was the battery chargers that started the fire. My chargers are currently unplugged, but I know eventually I'll slip back into my bad habits of leaving a battery on the charge and walking away. The fire marshal said he's been investigating a lot of fires lately and the battery/chargers are the source.

Good tip. I try not to leave batteries in chargers if I'm not around. Thankfully most even the bigger leaf blower ones charge up rather quickly.

Great reminder and fail-safe trick.

20210228-172307.jpg

My 10yr old daughter and I whipped these up pretty quickly over the weekend. There about 9ft high 8ft wide and shelves are 30 inches deep. The workbench tops are just some old wet 2x12s I had laying around. They will be fine for automobile benches and will be pretty nice when they dry out and I can sand them.