1986 Mustang GT - What To Do?

Wease

Whats the budget?

Whats the End goal?

Heads/Intake/Cam 302 should get you around 105/8 trap speed. By far your cheapest option.

Could rebuild it with a 347 stroker kit, get a bit more

Can go with a 351 based motor. Stroke it to 408, be a pretty fun NA car.

The Coyote swaps can get pretty pricy, especially if you are not doing the wok yourself. Lot of things would have to change for that.

Depending on budget and goals, this would be my preferred route. Personally I love resto-mod/sleeper cars. A lot of your major components could be sourced from places like Car-Part.com and depending on mileage/goals can just go right in.

I'd do a freshen up on the motor, either just re-ring and bearing, since the 86 is a forged piston motor or go to 306 but if you're going to 306 might as well go 331 for a few hundred more since you're boring it out anyways. Put a nice set of twisted wedge or afr 165/185 heads and performer rpm or twisted wedge intake on it. Around a 510-520 lift cam. A centerforce dual friction type clutch, pro 5.0 shifter, fms driveshaft. Shorty headers and X-pipe with your choice of mufflers. Frame ties. Put 3.73 to 4.10 gears. Do a 5 lug swap with 31 spline axles with a limited slip diff. poly bushing upper and lowers. a decent rate spring all the way around. then you would need a tune, injectors and i'd put a bigger radiator in. you should run 11's (depending on which heads and gear you choose) on a drag radial and drive where ever you want. the t-5 with the pro 5.0 and that block will hold that hp and set up for a long time. issues happen when you add power adders, like a 225 shot and split the block in half to run 10.20's on heads that only flow 170 cfm on the intake side...lol i ran base performer heads with a f cam and 1.7 roller rockers on a stock block 347 for years with a victor jr intake and 650 carb hooked to a t-5 for years. that combo on a radial in a stock suspension 84 vert went 11.82 with 4.10 gears and burnt up radials. then in a 89 coupe with 4.30 gears and a slick its gone 11.42

I really like the basis of this idea, basically taking the current engine block and refreshing, plus adding to it. And some of your suggestions, I already have done, including gears, exhaust, shifter, etc.

I am checking with a couple shops to see if they could do the swap for you.

I really appreciate this, thanks!

Keep the ideas coming guys, I appreciate it. And don't let my pics fool you, it needs a repaint for sure. I took those with the best angles and sunlight possible. :)