AWD daily driver fun car...

1Quik7

I'm looking for a vehicle that is AWD and somewhat moddable and family friendly; I feel like I keep looking for the same vehicles over and over. Is there something I'm missing?

$35k limit

I keep coming back to German cars:

Audi - S whatever

BMW - 6 series / Alpina

MB - AMG whatever

Porsche - Panamera/Cayenne/Macan

The Genesis G70 is intriguing but no used ones close.

Stay away from the AMG. My ‘12 E63 AMG was leaking everything except brake fluid. Mb used biodegradable plastic fittings for the coolant and vacuum hoses, the heat from the turbo just cooked them up. Those fittings will just snapped off and crumbled in your hands.

I like my Cayenne but it has it own set of problems too.

Stay away from the AMG. My ‘12 E63 AMG was leaking everything except brake fluid. Mb used biodegradable plastic fittings for the coolant and vacuum hoses, the heat from the turbo just cooked them up. Those fittings will just snapped off and crumbled in your hands.

I like my Cayenne but it has it own set of problems too.

Same, I had to replace every coolant line and fitting on our GL450. I just can't see the idea behind the plastic fittings, but it makes mercedes a 100,000 mile car to avoid. Also the engine bay is tight with twin turbos, so $500 in coolant system parts were a PIA to replace. Don't get me started on the intake tubes that crumble when you look at them sideways.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My old Q50 Redsport is at Byers Mazda :p Has under 20k on the clock and you can pick it up for less than $34k for sure.

Never even heard of this car. This is exactly the point of this thread. Why did you get rid of it?

Never even heard of this car. This is exactly the point of this thread. Why did you get rid of it?

Haha. I didn't really either until I was ready to get rid of my S4 and found it for so much less than a new German Deal to be had at the time.

Lease on it was coming due and as you can see from the mileage I really never drove it to the level I thought I would so it was really pointless to have it any more than I did. Should have sold it months earlier. Wife's car is going away next. Used the money to just buy her new car outright and for me, I'm my sons car and her old Lincoln until I decide what it is I want to do next. Like you, I may go with another nice daily or I may just rock a smaller plebeian daily and buy a toy. I'm fickle and honestly not having a car to worry about for the time being is actually oddly nice.

Here are some pics of it. Just call me if you have any questions on it. Happy to fill you in on the car. Go see Jeff at Byers used center and tell him I sent you. They haven't had much action on it so I'm sure they will be anxious to deal.

Here's a gallery of images on it from over the past few years. I still have a few nice add-ons for it including a much larger cargo net, brand new set of carpeted mats and a Pro-Clip Cell mount. I also have the stock axle back exhaust but the sport exhaust from Infiniti I put on it sounds amazing. Super quiet on the freeway too.

Tires on the car are only 8k mile old. Pulled the stock run-flats off during the first week and ran with some Conti's but they were pretty harsh. at about 11k miles I put some Michelin Touring tires on it and LOVED them. Inside is 10/10 like new as is the outside of course. 3 layers of ceramic on it.

Here it is at Mazda: https://www.byersmazda.com/used/INFINITI/2018-INFINITI-Q50-columbus-4b6488ba0a0e0ae8632ffabe00b7cb26.htm

original.jpg

Golf R

Agree with this, but I'll add on to it as well.

VW MKV R32: getting a little old now but still a solid car and due to their high price and collectibility there are a few low mileage ones still out there.

2006-2013 Audi A3 VR6 Quattro: Mechanically an R32 but with an audi badge and a slightly longer body and lower roof. I think they actually look better but that's just my opinion.

2006-2013 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro DSG: Basically an AWD MK 5/6 GTI. All the GTI mod stuff will fit on this car no issue.

I don't get why we got this far in a thread about AWD fun cars and nobody has mentioned a Subaru product of some kind. Seriously, are WRX's no longer "fun" cars?

STAY AWAY FROM BMW 6 SERIES. The cars are beautiful, but they are maintenance traps. The only one to even consider are the N55/N57 I6 powered 635Xi models, and if you are going to grab that engine, might as well get it in a lighter car like the 335xi. The classifieds are filled with mechanically totalled V8 and V10 models because it is more expensive to fix the engine than the car costs.

Agree with this, but I'll add on to it as well.

VW MKV R32: getting a little old now but still a solid car and due to their high price and collectibility there are a few low mileage ones still out there.

2006-2013 Audi A3 VR6 Quattro: Mechanically an R32 but with an audi badge and a slightly longer body and lower roof. I think they actually look better but that's just my opinion.

2006-2013 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro DSG: Basically an AWD MK 5/6 GTI. All the GTI mod stuff will fit on this car no issue.

I don't get why we got this far in a thread about AWD fun cars and nobody has mentioned a Subaru product of some kind. Seriously, are WRX's no longer "fun" cars?

STAY AWAY FROM BMW 6 SERIES. The cars are beautiful, but they are maintenance traps. The only one to even consider are the N55/N57 I6 powered 635Xi models, and if you are going to grab that engine, might as well get it in a lighter car like the 335xi. The classifieds are filled with mechanically totalled V8 and V10 models because it is more expensive to fix the engine than the car costs.

I think he'd already thought about the germans but you brought up a very good point..why did NONE of us think about a WRX or STI...it must have been mass thread hypnosis

I think he'd already thought about the germans but you brought up a very good point..why did NONE of us think about a WRX or STI...it must have been mass thread hypnosis

LOL mass thread hypnosis :lol:, I'm going to have to remember that one.

As for his german choices:

Audi - S whatever

BMW - 6 series / Alpina

MB - AMG whatever

This would be the same list If someone asked, what are the coolest german cars that are just a nightmare to own and one rubber seal away from being mechanically totaled.

Despite having a really positive Audi ownership experience, I don't think I would own any A4 or larger Audi without a warranty, including S cars. Tim would be the one to ask since he owned a modded S4. Everyone I knew with an A/S 4 or 5 had the oil consumption issue, some having engines replaced under warranty. The A3 (and the S3/RS3) are the most VW of all the Audi's (MK5-6 2006-2012 and MQB platform 2013+) and tend to have fewer issues than the larger Audi's. They are not without their own issues though, but most have been addressed through the aftermarket. 2013 S3 is a nice car. The A3/TT line are the most reliable cars Audi makes.

BMWs are a little different, mostly because they tend to use the same engines/transmissions across platforms. I don't trust the turbo V8s and V10s bmw has been using in their cars lately. I think the E90 M3 was probably the last fun naturally aspirated V8 sedan that was somewhat reliable but it isn't AWD. the 335 turbo and supercharged I6s were AWD and they seem to be pretty ok. they have their own challenges but you don't have to mortgage the house to fix one like you would an M6 V10 and if you keep on the maintenance they rack up the miles.

I don't know much about AMG cars, other than you have to be a little nerdy to own one (in a good way). Some of them are lauded as the most reliable thing ever, and others can be mechanically totaled by a $1 oil seal deep in the engine. It's the kind of car you have to research heavily.

Totally forgot about the WRX. I've never been a Subie fan but it does check off the boxes and is affordable.

Focus RS

One of our buddies we autocross with has one with bolt-ons and a tune and he's generally about a second faster than me. Not sure I'd want to daily a small hatchback (again), but I'd take it over any of the automatic land barges posted above.

I assume you are looking for a large car when you mentioned BMW 6er. If not, my TT-S would be a decent contender in that price range. Its pretty strictly a 2 seater unless you're a family of midgets.

But its 2L turbo, haldex awd and DSG. Runs a 12 flat 1/4 (with wheel spin) and sub 4 second 0-60 (on snow tires and more wheel spin) with software and a downpipe. Sounds like a tractor but its fun'ish. Steering feedback is my biggest complain but its a very comfortable daily with the magride and going down to 19" wheels and tires instead of the factory 20's.

WELL under that price range is the Taurus SHO or Explorer Sport. May not be as high end as many of the cars on the list however, for $17,500 I just picked one up with 70k on it. EcoBoost 3.5L mid 13's stock. Not hard to get in the 12's. The platform is looking to break into the 10's this summer. I have heated AND cooled massaging front seats, heated rear seats, automatic parking, Lane Departure Prevention, Advanced Cruise Control, Automatic High Beams, Automatic Wipers, Forward Collision Warning, Cross Path Detection, etc. Upgrading to a Sync 3 Radio with Android Auto/Apple Car Play and factory functions for $250. Leaves plenty of your $35k for mods or a dedicated toy. I am very happy with the number of compliments, the feel of the car (extremely roomy even at 6'3"), and the price point.

Despite having a really positive Audi ownership experience, I don't think I would own any A4 or larger Audi without a warranty, including S cars. Tim would be the one to ask since he owned a modded S4.

The B8.5 series is pretty solid. The ONLY reason I sold it was really my fault. Went stage III with a dual pulley set up and figured I could get another year or so out of it without issues but the power and heat was too much for the cats and the supercharger heat sinks. Cats at the very beginning of failure turned me off immediately.

12hrs labor is enough plus parts, etc. wasn't in my cards to spend that much on it. otherwise, I'd still own it as I loved it with no issues otherwise. Leave them stock or go Stage I and call it a day.