Edelbrock HQ closing

zeitgeist57

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2021/01/28/auto-parts-maker-edelbrock-with-270-employees-closing-torrance-facility/amp/

They still operate a few foundries through their corporate parent, but you better believe that further innovation in Edelbrock performance parts will be in-name-only.

Once the Edelbrock family was out of the company, it was only a matter of time before "corporate Synergy" got the better of them. This has been in motion for a long time, from the sell off of Qa1 and their Nitrous Oxide business, to the acquisition of SX and Comp Cams this is just the logical next step in a plan for IOP. If anything, Covid speeding the work from home and remote work migration probably sped the plow on this. They don't need 2 R&D departments for the cam and manifold business, nor do they need two sets of executives.

At the end of the day, the performance industry needs to be near two other industries: Aerospace/Defense and heavy manufacturing. Executive and clerical positions can be done from anywhere at this point, but the actual parts making, R&D, and shipping needs to be near where the physical factories and the knowledge base is. Closing down the clerical offices doesn't seem like it's going to have much of an impact, but I am curious where the R&D will eventually end up. Comp Cam's R&D is in Olive branch, MS, so it tracks with what O'Doyle said.

Edelbrock isn't going to be the last, there are several others leaving CA. It's very hard and expensive to do business in that circus, if you're manufacturing something or wanting to expand it's a nightmare.

The joining with COMP made a small impact, but overall if they want to expand they can't do it in CA.

Holley is sucking up tons of companies too like Simpson and Detroit Speed. The industry has been in a consolidation phase for a while.

https://www.dragzine.com/news/iconic-automotive-company-edelbrock-shutters-so-cal-headquarters/

Edited by Wagner

the mazda rotary shop that hoonigan uses for engine work left cali also. the owner said, 4k in month for rent alone is alot of business i have to generate to cover, then add in the regulations. left to open his shop in virginia.

The "Edelbrock Group" bought and dissolved Crane Cams too. Im sure it won't be the last bought up by them or the Holley Group.

Absolutely not. Holley is buying up companies that "do" things they currently don't to try and become a one stop shop.

They moved Racepac from CA because of the difficult business environment a few years ago.

Absolutely not. Holley is buying up companies that "do" things they currently don't to try and become a one stop shop.

They moved Racepac from CA because of the difficult business environment a few years ago.

Its a hot fucking mess.

Its a hot fucking mess.

Tell me about it, that state's stupid laws have made it impossible to use freelancers that are based there. I know of a few who moved just so they could continue to make a living writing.

The stuff I hear from the marketing guy at AFR is terrifying.