Actual imported car, did you have issues with registration/insurance?

1Quik7

I came across an outrageous deal on a Panamera Turbo that I'm trying to purchase and there seems to be a hangup because the VIN isn't showing up for the bank. The car is from Dominican Republic and it was imported/registered in Florida, its LHD, nothing strange about it, well it's in km/h. The VIN shows up in the Porsche registry and also when it came thru the port of Miami.

I know some people have actually brought in Japanese cars on here, even if the bank is ok, will I get a run-around trying to register/insure?

My case is nowhere near yours and I have not delved into registration further, but I expect the title transfer is without a problem since it already has an Ohio title. As far as insurance goes, my agent told me that Hagerty would insure it for a set value; granted that it would be insured as a show car with certain limitations. The insurance company (Travelers) that cover my other cars wouldn't insure it for some reasons. I would likely move my '96 to Hagerty if the premium was lower.

My case is nowhere near yours and I have not delved into registration further, but I expect the title transfer is without a problem since it already has an Ohio title. As far as insurance goes, my agent told me that Hagerty would insure it for a set value; granted that it would be insured as a show car with certain limitations. The insurance company (Travelers) that cover my other cars wouldn't insure it for some reasons. I would likely move my '96 to Hagerty if the premium was lower.

It has a Florida title. I've just never seen a VIN that doesn't come up in a search. Apparently it happens with imports.

It has a Florida title. I've just never seen a VIN that doesn't come up in a search. Apparently it happens with imports.

I'm thinking they're using a VIN lookup that only shows USDM/North American vehicles. Try asking your insurance agent to run it.

I can also ask around at work tomorrow as I work at an insurer.

In the case of my military vehicles the VIN numbers aren't in any system either, they just go by the title at the DMV with no problems most of the time. Sometimes people have gotten the clerk who questions it and causes trouble.

Also when purchased directly from the .gov they don't have a title only a FORM SF-97. That can get some strange looks. I'm my case I played dumb and acted like it was a Jeep truck which it does say Kaiser-Jeep on the papers so they moved forward.

Not really helpful but you never know.

I'm thinking they're using a VIN lookup that only shows USDM/North American vehicles. Try asking your insurance agent to run it.

I can also ask around at work tomorrow as I work at an insurer.

This !!

I can almost all but guarantee they are searching a vin in the system which won’t show up for a international vehicle that was imported outside the manufacture to the states.

Look into Grundy instead as thats what I had on my JZX. Classic car, no mileage restrictions, allowed to drive as long as its not "daily". Must be garage stored, included travelers insurance, towing etc and does agreed value and was quite a bit cheaper than Hagerty.

Look into Grundy instead as thats what I had on my JZX. Classic car, no mileage restrictions, allowed to drive as long as its not "daily". Must be garage stored, included travelers insurance, towing etc and does agreed value and was quite a bit cheaper than Hagerty.

My Hagerty policy does not have any restrictions for the street vehicles and trailer they insure. There are restrictions on the race cars, but those are expected for dedicated track vehicles. I will have a look at Grundy but would be shocked if there were a cheaper option than what I pay Hagerty annually.