Bicycle store?

SRTurbo04

I picked up a huffy cruiser at Walmart. I love it the seat is for fat people, bikes very strong, handle bars sweep back a bit so I can sit very comfortable. It fits me perfect at 5'7" and 200lbs. Only downside is it's a single speed but it's flat here so no problem. When I ride on the beach I air down to 3-4psi and it would be nice to have a lower gear on the sand but it was $50. I like the bike so much I'll probably add another speed or regear it eventually.

I have had good luck with used sports equipment stores like Play it again sports. You have to know what you are looking at though because used $100 walmart specials will be parked next to higher end bikes and the sales people aren't super knowledgeable about bikes. I scored a fully suspended, disc brake equipped, hybrid specialized last year from the cemetery rd location in Hilliard for $260. It was a brand new unit from a closing bike shop's inventory they had bought out (MSRP was around $400). I had originally gone in there to look at a Jamis road bike they were asking $300 on but liked the specialized better because it was a new unit.

If you have to have new: There is a Trek Store in Sawmill plaza (next to hobby lobby) that has been super helpful to me for small service items. Something like an 820 is a nice do it all hybrid and it's abut $450. If you want a fancy road bike to do 30+ plus miles a day on that's going to be a $800-$1K start these days from a legacy brand, although I think Diamondback and Schwinn have $500 entry level road bikes. Bikesource in Dublin (carrage place shopping center) is also a good shop, I think they do specalized, jamis, and schwinn.

"Roll" is a well-regarded bike store on Lane Ave in UA. I went there for tires on my GT Backwoods last year during COVID and they were very helpful, considering a lot of other stores and even Amazon were short 26"x1.95 tires.

I would try to get a GOOD used bike or splurge for a good-brand bike new. I bought my Backwoods from a CR member back in 2004(!) and it's still got servicable parts and rides great. I've always been able to get it serviced (once in FL around 2007 and once a few years ago) when needed. Huffy and other Chinesium bikes suck ass and will be uncomfortable to ride, let alone have components that will break or rust prematurely with replacement being not worth the bike itself.

If you go big-box store, go to Dick's Sporting and see what they have.

If you want to go help out a small business and an overall great guy, Rick at Cyclist Connection in Canal Winchester is your guy. They often have a few used bikes sitting around as well for a bargain buy.

At the very least he could probably help you find the right size ect. If you are doing it to lose weight the ergonomics and fit of the bike is essential. If it is not comfortable, how long you think you are going to stick with it!?

Cyclist Connection was always good for me. I also recommend a hybrid. Back when I was cycling longer distances years ago I had a Giant Cypress. I started on a Walmart special. The difference was night and day and the price difference was only about $150 since they still had a prev year model on the floor. It was WELL worth it.

Avoid Huffy. Giant and Specialized are my preferred but any of the other quality names like Trek or what not should suit you fine. I also back the idea of buying used if possible.

Ill give these a look, when i first glanced at the bike stores 6k bikes popped up and not many under 1k.

Not looking to go jump an airplane, and for sure not gonna get a road bike, ide kick my own ass before riding one of those things.

get a hybrid bike like everyone in here said, they are awesome, DO NOT get a bike from Walmart. Look on FBM, there's tons of options there right now, i just searched for "hybrid bike" and there's lots of options. If you do buy used, make sure you get it tuned up at a reputable bike shop, like break away in Delaware or Bicycle One in Gahanna

I still have my Walmart special but have been keeping an eye out to upgrade. Sadly there isn’t much in my area decent and if I wander closer to Pittsburgh there are nicer choices but the prices are rivaling new. Just can’t see spending that much.

Oh, I forgot to mention and I'll back up what others have said: getting sized for the right bike by the pros is also a game changer.

With a Wally World special that I just kinda picked I would go 2 miles and be dead. With the properly sized hybrid and in working with Cyclist Connection to get a good deal I rode up to 56 as my furthest ride but I would typically go 20ish and feel far better than struggling with the POS I had previously. Granted I also built up to that but proper sizing is a big deal and I was way off guessing on my own what "fit me".

Paul, I will also put a good word out for CyclistConnection. The owner Rick, and all the employees are good people. Very knowledgeable too. If you can wait another month or 2, they do a Parking Lot sale/Swap meet there. It's only once a year, and you will find your best deal from there then. I have been riding with them just about every warm Tuesday for the past 4 years.

I've followed a similar journey to a lot of guys on here apparently. I bought a WalMart special about 6 years ago, to get back into riding. Ended up buying a slightly used road bike from the Swap Meet after about 2 years on the Wally bike. HUGE DIFFERENCE

Be prepared to pay covid tax on used bikes. I run a fb bike sale group with a few thousand people and bike prices in the last year are insane. And shops can't get parts, inventory, so it's just driving used prices up. Bikes that'd sell for $500 2 years ago selling for $1200+

Sorry, not off the top of my head.

I ride in the C group though, if anyone cares to join.

No clue what group he use to be in but he moved to Wellston about 4-5 years ago and I know he HAS come back to do the weekly rides but he use to lead one of the groups. He rides 100 miles on the reg though. He was pretty into it. Not sure if he still is.

Went to bicycle One in Gahanna today to drop mine off for a tune-up and took some pics for ya, sorry 2/3 of them are tater-tastic

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=675&pictureid=9664

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=675&pictureid=9666

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=675&pictureid=9665