Jalopnik - Why Americans love trucks

zeitgeist57

Really well-written opinion piece on USA's obsession with trucks. Even the comments section delivered. It's long but a good read.

https://jalopnik.com/a-cultural-arms-race-1846382601

With my $1400 2WD Silverado, I'm not going off-road but "rugged individualism" where I know I can pick-up/drop-off anything at any time is a very comforting feeling as a suburban family man.

I think the Carolina Lean bro-dozers on 37s are too much, but if that's your bag - as it certainly is in FL where I was this past weekend - then go right ahead and blow your money. :D

I was gifted an low mileage 02 Tahoe and fell so madly in love with it I sold my 2017 Civic to Carmax. Kind of the same reasons Clay, I love being able to haul whatever. Few modern upgrades including a chinese 10 inch Android head unit and backup camera, front/rear dash cams, and I think its about perfect. Tempted to ruin it with either a turbo kit or a Cadillac blower.

Man, I tried to like driving a newer truck everyday and hated every minute of it. Cant park the thing anywhere, gets worse gas mileage on the best day than any other car I have when Im beating on it (that's 2x-3x as fast). The throttle response and shifting is SOOOO lazy to try and eek out every little bit of fuel economy that its miserable.

Ill gladly spend $60 every so often to rent a truck from Menards when something wont fit in our small SUV. Which is next to never.

And yes I own a truck with an 8" bed that I love but mainly because it has a RideTech susp and I dont have to drive it everyday.