1949 Chevy - The "Fun '49"

Otis Nice

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At school one time way back a class did an experiment where they de-rusted a car frame using electrolysis. They made a pool using wood framing and visqueen. It was big, but shallow since the frame isn't very tall. It was a neat experiment. Here's a video explaining the process. Another guy uses the same process to clean up rusty motorcycle gas tanks. You're moving the iron oxide from one piece of steel to another using electricity and chemistry.

At school one time way back a class did an experiment where they de-rusted a car frame using electrolysis. They made a pool using wood framing and visqueen. It was big, but shallow since the frame isn't very tall. It was a neat experiment. Here's a video explaining the process. Another guy uses the same process to clean up rusty motorcycle gas tanks. You're moving the iron oxide from one piece of steel to another using electricity and chemistry.

That's pretty interesting. Thanks.

• 8 months later...

Been working on the eng rebuild on and off as we could over the winter. Ran into a few minor snags but they're all ironed out. Onto some body work. We're going to tr to keep the exterior patina/thrashed look but the interior will be revamped and not orig unlike the Fam '52. Gotta get rid of some rust and get a solid foundation. 

IMG-20220427-225712.jpg

IMG-20220427-225726.jpg

IMG-20220427-225721.jpg

Edited by Otis Nice

• 1 month later...

A bit more progress has been made. The passenger side floor and jamb is done. The front end was removed and dad drove out to Indiana today to pick up the one we had custom built and all the parts.

Screenshot-20220615-202319-Gallery.jpg[

IMG-20220614-184329.jpg

IMG-20220615-191024.jpg

Edited by Otis Nice
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Otis Nice said:

I hope so. I really enjoyed the other one we did and still go back through the thread and read it/look at pics from time to time.

Link? Assuming it survived the transition.

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Link? Assuming it survived the transition.

The "Fam '52".

EDIT: It appears many of the pics early in the thread did not make the transition but you can get the story and see the online mag article, some later pics, etc. 

Edited by Otis Nice

On 6/25/2022 at 12:24 AM, max power said:

This is cool but can we also have some updates on that beautiful vette with the stroker?  A malaise era stingray with a stroker is a dream car of mine. 

I'll have to reach out to my cousin. He lives in FL so I just can't swing by and he doesn't post on social media much.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I keep forgetting to update here with all our vehicles and builds. If interested you can follow more closely here: https://www.facebook.com/NelsonandSonsGarage

I also started a YT channel. I have no aspirations of having a million subs or anything. It's more just to document what we've got going on. If interested you can follow along there too. If not no worries. https://www.youtube.com/@NelsonandSonsGarage

45.jpg

46.jpg

48.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

• Upvote 3