‘67 Camaro pro touring project

brent1976

So I picked this car up last July and my plan was to just make it a really nice driver and do little things to it over a couple years. As soon as the guy I bought it from backed it out of the storage container he had it in I started negotiating a price in my head because I was taking it home. I climbed over the car for an hour looking everywhere I could picture some rust but didn’t find anything anywhere. It had full RS interior and paint but the back seat was vinyl so it threw me off. I used that and looking up the firewall tag to get him to a pretty decent price so I picked it up the next day and had it trailered home.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9755

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9767

The tag says it’s a v6 car with base everything I looked up so I wouldn’t feel bad changing anything from stock but I never really looked too deep. Apparently over the year’s someone painted it white with RS trim, changed out the interior to RS seats and dash and put in a 327 with a 4 speed manual. It seemed to run pretty good when I test drove it so I don’t think it’s stock. It sounds like it might have a cam but that might be wishful thinking. There were multi leaf springs and new coil springs in the trunk so the first weekend I threw those in and took it around the block. The front and rear tires rubbed on every corner so I started looking into that. It had drop spindles an the front springs were lowering springs and it just ruined all the front geometry. The rear tires were 275s and had an 1/8” to the inner tubs. I started looking at forums to figure out what to do. I decided pretty quick to just gut everything and start over.

There’s way too many options to pick from. I didn’t really want to get into a subframe swap yet so I just looked at replacing all the suspension parts. I ended up going with ridetech full suspension. All new control arms with coil overs, 4 link rear with coil overs, tru turn steering so I can get a wider wheel in the front. When the boxes showed up I wondered if I got in over my head.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9757

I did the front the weekend the parts arrived. I took out all the drum brakes and replaced it with discs and everything came right apart and the new stuff went right back together. No wrestling with anything and minimal cussing. I still need to tweek a couple little things to make it perfect but it’s drivable.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9756

I started looking at the rear and reading and decided since I should be able to run a 275 front tire on an 18” wheel that I wanted wider in the back. I ended up ordering some DSE mini tubs. I put off doing this during winter because the floor was too cold to be rolling around on in my old age. I started a couple weeks ago and did one a Saturday until it was all in there. I had to notch the frame rails in a couple places and was nervous to find any rust but there’s nothing. I’m shocked at that since it’s a 50+ year old car.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9759

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9758

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9760

I bolted the 4 link cradle in the car and decided since I’m done grinding and welding that I’d clean out the inside. The seats were decent but I decided to get some sport seats since the stock ones are just flat and not comfortable. I ordered some TMI sport seat foam and upholstery with higher bolster and try recovering them myself. I ordered seats with factory looking comfort weave but what came was just stamped vinyl and looked like junk to me. So I returned them and started shopping for what to do. I decided to just get new seats. I picked some corbeau sport seats. They seem to be built really well, the brackets fit perfectly and they recline and slide to fit how I think I’ll sit pretty well. Since I had to take everything out to weld inside the car I got new carpet too. I shopvaced and cleaned everything for a couple hours and put the new carpet and seats in. The car was super dark inside everything being black and tinted windows so I decided to to go with gray carpet. I think it looks good but if I change my mind that’s the cheapest thing I’ve bought so far.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9764

I was planning on pulling the stock rear end out of the car and hacking it up to cut all the brackets off and then welding all the 4 link brackets back on but was dreading it. I’d been looking at GM 12 bolts on FB but I couldn’t find anything I’d be willing to just mod and throw in the car and drive without rebuilding and having rediculous money in. New 12 bolts are even worse. I ended up figuring out a 9” made for the car drops right in with a u joint change. All my years working on cars and I thought it would be rediculous to convert. It was a no brainer once I found that out because they are thousands less than I was finding 12 bolts for. I ended up ordering a built 9” with all the goodies and my 4 link brackets welded on for me. They ship parts of it in pieces and I have the housing and axels so far. I ordered disc brakes for the rear because it was a pretty cheap option so why not.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9763

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9765

The brakes should be here Wednesday and the center section beginning of the next week. Once that’s all in the car I can measure and order wheels and tires and finish up a few little things and get it on the road.

Wow, VERY nice! Should be a lot of fun.

I hope so. I plan on just driving it this summer and make sure I love it as much as I think I will. I’ll do some interior mods to make it how I want. Then doing an LS/tremec swap next winter. I’m sure it probably only makes 200hp so more power should make it a blast.

The car only weighs ~ 3200lbs so it shouldn’t take a ton of power to make it pretty fast. It should handle almost too well for the power it makes now.

I figure an old LS2 with decent parts should be cheap enough I can sneak in a super charger without the wife even knowing. Plus I should loose a couple hundred pounds with an aluminum block.

Have you looked at the new 5 speed TKX? Much smaller housing for less tunnel modifications.

That’s what I’m planning on. Everyone is saying no tunnel cutting. My car had a 2 speed auto so tunnel has already been cut and cutting and welding isn’t a problem for me.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9766

The shifter location is more of a plus to me. Any further back and I don’t think it would be as comfortable. Plus I’m planning on picking up a 5th gen console and the shifter is in the same place and has a smaller hole. Modding that will probably look bad no matter how much I plan and be as careful as I can be.

LOVE these kinds of projects. I keep telling myself ill do one some day. Maybe I will. But, ill probably end up buying one already done.

A member (or former member, idk) named AJ did one and spared no expense. His project is/was incredible to follow. Crazy amount of detail.

Looking forward to following this!

Very cool car and build.

My dad has a 68 rs/ss thats been wasting away in his barn since before I was a kid. I wish it was in slightly better shape, I'd love to do a drivetrain, suspension, wheel and tire build on it. He has all original GM sheet metal for it and claims he's gonna restore it one day but everyone knows that will never happen. And I wouldn't be interested in another full resto.

• 2 weeks later...

So last week the new calipers, brackets, and lines came for the rear end but the center section isn’t here yet. I decided to figure out why the fuse for the interior lights had a gum wrapper poked in around it. I bought all new bulbs for everything but forgot the dome light bulb. I replaced all the bulbs and put in a new fuse expecting it to blow instantly but it didn’t. I found an extra dome light bulb for my truck and rigged it to work with a socket to test everything out. The passenger door jamb switch was going nuts arching and the light never came on and stayed on so I’m guessing that’s what was popping the fuse. I’m going to work on replacing both door switches today.

Also the drivers front marker/blinker light doesn’t work every time the lights are on. The way the car is in the garage I can’t get to it well enough to fix it but the ground wire isn’t under the nut very well and I can see an orange wire nut in the fender so that will hopefully be an easy rewiring and done.

I test fitted the rear end in the car, got it pretty centered with the 4 link adjustments and slid the axels in to measure for the rear wheels. I looks like with a 315/30-18 I should have decent space around everything with no rubbing anywhere. More than 2” around the back side of the tires as long as it’s 1/4” in from the fender which is what I think will look best. I know that I won’t know anything until it’s all together but that’s what it looks like it will end up being. With the +100lb springs the front barley moves when I stand on the bumper so I don’t see anything moving around enough to cause a problem.

The front I measured some and it looks like a 275/35-18 will fit and it will be very close to the frame but with turning I’m just going to wait and make it work. If I need to notch anything I’ll deal with it.

The ridetech truturn does add a lot of space with the different spindle and steering arm. I held the stock parts up and the different angles of everything makes way more sense than the 60s parts. Plus the negative camber on compression of the springs with their control arms instead of positive like the stock stuff should make it handle so much better than it ever has.

I ordered wheels and tires on Tuesday. Everything should be here by the end of next week close to the same time so I’ll probably work on as much as I can and get it done quick.

I’m ready to drive it so I can decide what to do with the interior. It has an AM radio with one speaker in front of the center console so I’ll probably get a Bluetooth speaker for now and deal with it. I want to do a double din stereo but all the pictures I find don’t look good in the car and look kind of hacked in. I’ll keep looking and probably make something 3 or 4 times until I like it.

LOVE these kinds of projects. I keep telling myself ill do one some day. Maybe I will. But, ill probably end up buying one already done.

I say the same thing but then I realize I struggle to find motivation to even wash my shit. Then I'll browse restomods and find rusty old cars with an LS-swap and aftermarket wheels listed for triple what it's worth, so.. rock and a hard place.

A member (or former member, idk) named AJ did one and spared no expense. His project is/was incredible to follow. Crazy amount of detail.

AJ's maro is on a whole different level. He'll spend weeks on some very minor part to get it perfect. Thing's been under the knife for years.

AJ's maro is on a whole different level. He'll spend weeks on some very minor part to get it perfect. Thing's been under the knife for years.

I plan on driving mine. I watch my friends with endless projects and can’t imagine having something and not enjoying it.

Mine’s a nice car already with minimal body work needed(a couple small dings need pdr) so I’m going to get it on the road and work on everything I need to to make it how I want and also what needs done to make an LS swap easier.

The glove box was stuck and the PO said he could never open it. I reached around under the dash and got into it. There was random junk and an old dyno sheet that says 178 hp 240 tq. If it’s for this car I’m going to guess that means it’s the lower horsepower LF7 327 and it has the cast iron Saginaw 4 speed manual. I haven’t looked at the prices of them at all but I also have all the original comfort weave seats, suspension and steering with new parts, and front coil and rear multi leaf springs , brakes, and rear end. I’ll probably make decent money on everything I sell that I’ve taken off of the car.

I’m not counting on it or looking forward to dealing with all the idiots trying buy it.

Yesterday I took everything to do with the stock rear suspension out of the car. When I bought the car there was a set of multi leaf springs in the trunk so I bought new bushings and had already put them in the car so everything in there was never driven on. It came apart quick. I ended up painting the top half of the housing and the brackets when I started so it would be dry.

I didn’t think about how heavy the housing was or I would have asked for someone to help. Getting the top bars into the brackets was a bitch because it absolutely would not balance on the jack with only the bottom bars bolted in. I wrestled it up in there but I’m pretty sore today. The new brackets for the disk brakes replace the existing brackets on the rear end that holds the axel bearings so I have to wait to put them on.

I called quick performance to ask about when my center section would be shipped because they told me 2 weeks ago it was going to be done soon. Everyone else is paying the extra $200 to get theirs put on the top of the list so they were pushing mine back. I bitched a little and got them to make it that day and shipped it. Tracking says it will be here Monday so I’m excited about that. I called and asked about my wheels and tires. The tires are here and the wheels should be Tuesday or Wednesday and will be mounted and balanced waiting for me to pick up.

Old junk.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9774

New junk.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9778

I finally got all the parts for the rear end. Got it all put together after work all week. Picked up the wheels and tires on Tuesday. Today I got the brakes done as far as I can, because I’m missing one fitting. I still need to get the pinion angle perfect, and adjust the ride height 10 times until it stays. Then get an alignment and break in the new gears. I think it looks awesome. I’m super happy with how it sits and the wheels look great. It needs a bath and a wax soon.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9789

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1012&pictureid=9792

I can’t wait to get it done so I can get it out on some twisty mountain roads to rip on it.

Then I can figure out what I want to do to the interior. It has one speaker in front of the shifter with an AM radio so a sound system is going to be the first things I start on.