Car Immobilizer?

zeitgeist57

I received an awkward, "youre-the-car-guy" inquiry from an extended family member regarding a leased 2019 Grand Cherokee V6. If the owner wants to install an immobilizer/kill switch on a modern vehicle, is there any decent tech available out in the marketplace that people recommend? Anything DIY that I can install after they buy it? This would stop a normie younger driver from using the car if they're not allowed.

If it was an older vehicle, I could see a hidden battery cut-off, or fuel cut-off valve. But for something this modern, and LEASED, I don't want to cut it up to install something.

Short of going to Columbus Car Audio, open to CR's feedback. Thank you!

If their focus is to say stop a teen driver for taking the car when they shouldn’t , I would A: take the keys so they can’t get in the car . B: if they do take it correct the behavior however your parenting model seems fit .

IF you were to install a device that shuts off the car after it is taken the last thing I would want is for my kid who took the car to be driving and not be able to steer or stop the vehicle because I cut power and cause harm potentially

Just my 1 cent thought

If their focus is to say stop a teen driver for taking the car when they shouldn’t , I would A: take the keys so they can’t get in the car . B: if they do take it correct the behavior however your parenting model seems fit .

IF you were to install a device that shuts off the car after it is taken the last thing I would want is for my kid who took the car to be driving and not be able to steer or stop the vehicle because I cut power and cause harm potentially

Just my 1 cent thought

I get that for sure. Trying to help with a specific ask.

Just pull out the fuel pump relay?

That may be more than this person can handle. Also may be difficult to swap in and out easily. That is a good idea, may keep that in mind.

Columbus Car Audio has a car tracker with starter cut-off, $299 for the tracker with another $100 for the starter immobilizer, but it would need to have a tracking service added for $120/year that enables full tracking, hotspot notification, etc...pretty pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Vehicle-Tracker-Disable-Ignition/dp/B008YHR04U/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=car+remote+kill+switch+with+app&qid=1623499668&sr=8-3

Something like this may be what you are looking for, but the monthly fee is always a frustration. However, it does seem to do what you are asking from an app.