GPS Tracking

Talk to me about hardwired GPS units for asset tracking. 4G signal based seems to the way to go. Pricing for the unit itself seems to be all over the place as does the cost of the service plan. Trying to figure out something sooner rather than later hopefully. Edited by Nickey427

Its something you can do yourself with an old android phone and the cheapest dataplan tbh.

Zero input on any commercial solution. Wiring in an old android phone that even with a bad battery will fire up after a few minutes is easy AF.

I use Republic for my cell service. The plans are pretty cheap ($20/month or $200/year). I don't know which network they are on, but there are lots of old android phones out there you can use. I'm sure I have an old one laying around you can have. I suppose you could basically wire the charger to the car battery and keep everything charged up. Even when the car is shut off it would work until the car battery goes dead. I was thinking a hidden kill switch on the fuel pump or ignition would work pretty well too.

Now this has me thinking and wondering if there is a radio head unit that would incorporate GPS tracking. You could get satnav function at the same time as getting GPS feedback. I'm sure someone make a kit to install a modern double din radio. Sorry, I know that's not what you're asking about, it just got the gears turning since I don't like the radio I put in my truck and I'm going to be changing it out soon.

There are a bunch of articles out there about the Apple Airtag. It was (not so) surprising to see how well the coverage is, I mean there are iPhones everywhere.

Aside from that, if you want commercial I can make a few suggestions but they aren't super cheap as they are built for reliability.

There are a bunch of articles out there about the Apple Airtag. It was (not so) surprising to see how well the coverage is, I mean there are iPhones everywhere.

Aside from that, if you want commercial I can make a few suggestions but they aren't super cheap as they are built for reliability.

Airtag sounded great till it shows iPhone users it's following them if it's not their airtag.

I'd be interested in commercial solutions, as they're likely cheaper than replacing a vehicle.

Most Sierra wireless devices have options for gps reporting and they are designed for vehicles and this purpose. You can get used models on eBay for reasonable prices also and google is loaded with how-to’s.

There are some other devices also, such as pepwave. It’s the data plans that end up costing as they usually Run more than a simple cell phone plan.

Edit, Ryan’s option of an old phone is tried and true as well. Depends on how you want to handle it tbh.

I vote store it at a friends place, off the beaten path and add hidden miniguns mounted to motion detectors whenever somebody comes within 30 feet of said item. I mean, I could PROBABLY design and build that for you....

I'm an avid investor, swing trader in a company called Global Star, GSAT. They are probably overkill as they are commerical with satellites and terrestrial towers all over the world though they do provide sat phone and GPS tracking for livestock, shipping containers, construction assets, etc. Their phone plans aren't terrible to have, but usage costs are still higher.