1976 Nissan V8 Conversion is Prepped For-Sale

TTQ B4U

So many of my friends and those that have been to a Columbus Cars & Coffee (=AZVNVDHnT54PAxLgg4pR1orNS6cX03b2gBtcD2ixhDP93PPiDQy8snvsNTNP4J8_66_AJsGA1OE-Q1Ax5kft5tut3wrfm2SV189NIwz71gXW2w&__tn__=-]K-R"]Clay Lanctot) event will recognize this car and perhaps know it's owner. The short version of the story is that life has dealt a heavy blow here and let's just say it's time for the owner and car to part ways.

While I barely know him personally outside meeting him at various events, my heart aches for his situation for a large number of reasons. He's a car-guy and needs our help and that's coming. Out of respect too, that's all I'm going to share on the situation and ask that others will do the same.

First order of assistance was to help get his life long project in great condition and looking like the best it can be for the next lucky person who will hopefully continue it's journey as a great fun project car that flat-out is reliable and so very well sorted.

There's literally 2 pages of typed out work that's been done to the car as it's that well organized and documented. Two boxes of manuals and diagrams showing the build down to the calibration of the gauges and layout of the stereo system. In short however, know that this, as the plate reads was at one time a 1976 Datsun 280zx. Since 1993, it's been living as a hybrid 90's Mustang. The 302cu in 5.0L motor mated to the Ford 5spd from the era and even the custom made to fit wheels all align perfectly.

Painted in Satin Black Urethane Enamel with custom upholstered seats from a Porsche of the era and carpet that is thick and well done bring the car together very well. I will say, the paint is near flawless and very well done. what few marks are there were as a result of it being in storage for a bit.

I gave the car a thorough cleanup including a graphene sealant and a spot extraction and clean up of the interior to help make it next owner ready.

More to come on this vehicle in the next 1-2 weeks. Just know that if you're a car guy on any forum, the goal ahead of us is to help get eyes-on-it in hopes of finding a buyer. The car will likely be auctioned off and the proceeds there to help the family deal with the situation. It's a good cause for a fellow car guy of his entire life. One that worked in a body shop and did paint work and lived and breathed cars and fun.

Thanks in advance for helping where you can. Contact information for those interested and more forthcoming. Please stay tuned. Until then, here is a handful of eye candy bits for those that can appreciate a mans hobby and passion. More photos to come.

Prayers to the owner and his family. Shout out to =AZVNVDHnT54PAxLgg4pR1orNS6cX03b2gBtcD2ixhDP93PPiDQy8snvsNTNP4J8_66_AJsGA1OE-Q1Ax5kft5tut3wrfm2SV189NIwz71gXW2w&__tn__=-]K-R"]Richard Schnipke for putting me in touch and having the opportunity to help out where I can. This is a special one to me.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

I went to meet Gary (the friend selling it) and talk on the phone with the owner about this car yesterday, so I'll give an honest review. I think this car should stay local rather than some crypto/tik-tok rich poser buying it for a stance and stretch tire look.

The exterior is an 8/10. Body work's perfect, a slight rub mark on the rear fender lip.

It's interior is immaculate and comfortable. All gauges function. A/C works.

The 5.0 is a hydraulic roller motor and fuel injected. The k-member is custom fabricated making the motor look like it was meant to be there.

It's bone stock and feels like it. Probably making about 220whp but lots of room to grow.

The only drawbacks I felt was the oem brakes were spongy and difficult in traffic. Those can be upgraded for about 1k and a mustang master cylinder was retrofitted to the vehicle so it has enough juice to handle some big brakes. It has a high rpm vibration that I would bet is due to the a harmonic balancer deteriorating or the driveshaft needing balanced.

He's asking 25k and if it goes to BaT I fully expect it to go for 35+. Someone buy it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well if I actually watched this auction I might have bought this vehicle .. it sold for $17,500 so only about 10k under his asking price

Oh well

Saw this car at the Gahanna car show a few months back. Had a for sale on it back then and I "thought" it had a 5k price tag on it. Wanted to talk to the owner but he wasn't around. Pretty slick car.

His initial asking price was like any of us would do in today's market, high. By what standards? the market average, but it's a slim market of comparable out there to bench mark from too. He started off in the 20's but quickly realized that wasn't going to happen.

His legit real-world expectation price was in the mid teens. I'll leave it that they are very happy with the eventual auction results and got more than they expected.

His initial asking price was like any of us would do in today's market, high. By what standards? the market average, but it's a slim market of comparable out there to bench mark from too. He started off in the 20's but quickly realized that wasn't going to happen.

His legit real-world expectation price was in the mid teens. I'll leave it that they are very happy with the eventual auction results and got more than they expected.

Had they just listed it for what they wanted or slightly more it likely would have sold here or elsewhere with no listing fee or hassle involved. $10k more than desired is nothing on a $250k car. On a ~$15k car that's quite a leap.

Had they just listed it for what they wanted or slightly more it likely would have sold here or elsewhere with no listing fee or hassle involved. $10k more than desired is nothing on a $250k car. On a ~$15k car that's quite a leap.

Exactly.. when I see a listing price and in my mind I am no where near that I move on and never look back. I’m not here to take 3 weeks and countless hours explaining why I want to pay this price and why you feel it is worth X price .

If it’s close I’ll obviously negotiate but asking 25k but actually willing to take 40% less is killing your potential market of buyers

Also it takes forever to get a car listed.

When I was ready to sell my m3, I put my $99 up and they took it immediately then several weeks later email me and says my reserve was too high and asked me to lower it (it wasn't).

About 4 weeks later and several emails to them I still hadn't heard anything.

My son put it on fb marketplace and someone from massachusetts called we agreed on a price and he drove down handed me the cash then towed the car home.

I contacted them and they returned my cash.