Parental advice for Teens after an accident

mrs.cos

Outside the small group of people who are enthusiasts (on a forum like this), people absolutely do not drive well at all. Our drivers-ed program and license test are both a joke. I lose count daily of the dumb stuff drivers do and am confident saying I avoid at least 2 accidents a week with heads up driving. :)

Bro, driving in central Ohio is an effing PITA. #4 on the country's worst drivers list, and as someone who has traveled A LOT for work over the years, yeah, Cbus does have awful drivers.

Both of you are 100% correct. Society in general is full of idiot drivers, but central Ohio takes it to the next level of mouth breathing stupidity.

Driver education needs to be much more thorough/challenging and the testing needs to be WAY more strict, and there needs to be a much harsher penalty for causing an accident. Common sense traffic laws are repeatedly broken everywhere you go, and unfortunately the police can't really enforce much more than the obvious cut and dry violations (speed, OVI, failure to control, etc). People stop when they have the right of way, they go when they shouldn't, I mean these are the absolute basics and people are too stupid and oblivious to figure it out.

Any left lane campers who impede the flow of traffic or dumbfucks that are doing 47 mph while merging onto the freeway should be fined $5,000 and forced to serve a year in prison. I'm joking, but not really

Both of you are 100% correct. Society in general is full of idiot drivers, but central Ohio takes it to the next level of mouth breathing stupidity.

Driver education needs to be much more thorough/challenging and the testing needs to be WAY more strict, and there needs to be a much harsher penalty for causing an accident. Common sense traffic laws are repeatedly broken everywhere you go, and unfortunately the police can't really enforce much more than the obvious cut and dry violations (speed, OVI, failure to control, etc). People stop when they have the right of way, they go when they shouldn't, I mean these are the absolute basics and people are too stupid and oblivious to figure it out.

Any left lane campers who impede the flow of traffic or dumbfucks that are doing 47 mph while merging onto the freeway should be fined $5,000 and forced to serve a year in prison. I'm joking, but not really

giphy.gif

The problem is, the state doesn’t make money by failing people and they’ll likely drive anyway. Why not license them and let it be insurance’s problem? That’s also why insurance is a shitshow and you have to carry so much extra coverage.

The problem is, the state doesn’t make money by failing people and they’ll likely drive anyway. Why not license them and let it be insurance’s problem? That’s also why insurance is a shitshow and you have to carry so much extra coverage.

Sad, but true. Win/win for both the gov't and the insurance companies. They get free money, and the competent members of society get fucked by the dipshits. Such is life.

Welcome to ‘Murica where the honest hard working get bent over time and time again but we’re too busy to do anything about it.

Also true.

I'm too dumb/ignorant to figure out how to get rich, but too smart/proud to mooch off of the government. That being said, it's way better to be a middle class American than live in some place like Bangladesh or whatever.

I still don't understand why central Ohio is so fucking bad at driving. I spent months driving around Cincinnati for work this past winter, and the difference between drivers in Columbus and Cincinnati is night and day.

I spent months driving around Cincinnati for work this past winter, and the difference between drivers in Columbus and Cincinnati is night and day.

:wtf: Been working all over Ohio (regularly going to/working in Cbus, Cleveland, Milan, Toledo, Lima, Dayton, Chillicothe, Cincy, etc) for ~2.5 years and I see no difference anywhere. They all suck.

:wtf: Been working all over Ohio (regularly going to/working in Cbus, Cleveland, Milan, Toledo, Lima, Dayton, Chillicothe, Cincy, etc) for ~2.5 years and I see no difference anywhere. They all suck.

I’ve been all over the globe and they all suck. :wtf:

I cant go two miles on 270 without having the urge to smash someone into the retaining wall or punt someone into the ditch

I cant go two miles on 270 without having the urge to smash someone into the retaining wall or punt someone into the ditch

Same...but the same with all the other major cities. YMMV.

I've had idiots do the same all over. May not be the same experience for all but as far as Ohio goes I'd def put all under the same umbrella.

You should live where 80% of people are retired. Their reaction times are so bad that two cars go at every green light, three more run the red light and someone nails someone every fucking day. Talked to paramedics here they are run ragged by old people doing stupid shit here. Not even getting into the number of times someone drives through the side of a building or front doors often killing people.

You should live where 80% of people are retired. Their reaction times are so bad that two cars go at every green light, three more run the red light and someone nails someone every fucking day. Talked to paramedics here they are run ragged by old people doing stupid shit here. Not even getting into the number of times someone drives through the side of a building or front doors often killing people.

Yeah, it's called Westerville.

Curious about the outcome as well here.

Reading through the comments and reflecting on my own life, I remember driving out of the student lot in high school (styling, profiling as everyone was filing out and saying hi to each other as we all left) and my friend backed into my Samurai with his Olds Achieva.

Insurance quoted $800 for the repair, this was in 1996. :lol: There was the smallest scratch on the bodywork but definitely not needing that much paint repair. My friend obviously felt bad about the low-speed crunch and said he’d pay to repair it... but balked at that price as it was just a bent rear bumper and broken taillight.

I was able to source all the parts during the early days of the internet, as well as some touch up paint, for a couple hundred bucks. He happily paid that much and we repaired the damage ourselves. He and I talked about that all the way through college and it ended up being a much better experience for both of us: he still had to pay but learned a bit about car work by helping me, and aside from a tiny break in the paint I got a new rear bumper and parts for free and kept my Samurai looking great, while helping my friend out of a sticky situation.

I think a reasonable measure of showing responsibility is to make your child pay for the damages to her car. She may think twice about a drag race and how much she’s willing to put herself and her car on the line after an expensive lesson before.