My new Blazer

2 Sweet

So, I found a 2004 S10 Blazer ZR2 for sale on facebook marketplace earlier this week. 148k miles, clean title. It was at some hole in the wall dealer in Piqua, but it looked decent and it was my favorite color (Dark Green Metallic) and a 5-speed manual. Sweet! That's a rare combo, definitely worth checking out.

So I get there, and it needs a little TLC. Idles too low, the door pins need replaced, needs front tires, blah blah blah. I took a quick look underneath and the frame looked clean, it has the factory ZR2 skid plates, and no body rust at all which was shocking. Looked at the SPID in the glovebox to verify it was a true ZR2. Yep, there's the RPO, cool. Everything looked normal under the hood, checked the oil, everything seemed fine. I took it for a drive and other than the super low idle, it ran and drove great. No radio, no biggie. The 4WD switch isn't working, no big deal, I didn't expect it to work anyway. Heat blows hot, A/C blows ice cold. I decided I wanted it, we agreed on a price of $2500 and I came back today and drove it home without issue.

20211007-140705.jpg

20211007-140652.jpg

20211007-140921-HDR.jpg

20211007-123832.jpg

I decided to run the VIN, and it came back as a 4x2. What? It's a ZR2, it has to be a 4x4. I saw the axles and transfer case when I looked underneath, right? Better go look again....

20211007-140718-HDR.jpg

20211007-140740-HDR.jpg

20211007-140745-HDR.jpg

20211007-140802-HDR.jpg

WTF??? :eek:

So I do a little research, and apparently in 2004, you could order a 2WD ZR2. It's the same suspension and everything as the 4x4 ZR2, I just don't see the point but that's GM for you :lol:

So beyond it making no sense to me, I also have no idea why someone would add that switch to the dash. Either way it doesn't really bother me that it's 2WD, I just needed another beater and I wasn't planning on offroading this thing, and I already own a couple 4x4 trucks. Regardless, I'm mad at myself for overlooking something so obvious. I'm certainly no mechanic but I'm also not a complete idiot, or so I thought. The silver lining is that it's even more rare than I thought, but rare doesn't always mean desirable!

Thanks for reading. I figure some of you might get a kick out of this story :D

The rumor I always heard for 4x2 ZR2 trucks was they were a special request from the dealers in desert states for a "cheaper" Zr2 for customers who wanted a desert prerunner. 4x2 were only built in 2004 and only toward the tail end of production. Chevy had already discontinued the s-10 pickup in 2003 so any ZR2s built in 2004 were blazers.

This might explain why the truck has no rust on it. Pull the carfax and see if there is a history of it being in Texas or Arizona.

considering low S10 blazer production in 2004, and that Zr2s were evern rarer, and that manual transmissions and dark green metallic are rare, you may have a 1 of less than 10 made car.

Part of me wants to lower it on some wide Corvette wheels (I would remove the step bars and spare tire carrier and all that) but more than likely I'll just leave it stock and drive it for a while until I get bored and sell it.

But it's a stick shift with a locking rear diff and 3.73 gears, and 100% rust free, so I'm tempted to mess around with it. We'll see.

... so I'm tempted to mess around with it. We'll see.

If you want to mess around with it, replace all those dry rotted bushings in the suspension first. Also it looks like it has the ZR2 rear sag that was common with these trucks. Inspect the rear leaf spring packs really well to make sure there isn't any cracking or broken springs, and then invest in a pair of 2" shackles to fix the sag.

• 3 months later...

If anyone wants to buy this, let me know and I'll sell it CHEAP!

Here's the rundown:

-I put in a brand new battery

-I had a local shop replace the radiator because it was leaking

-It's throwing a code for the MAF. It'll immediately stall if you don't give it gas right after it fires up. But if you give it a little gas (just hold it above 1k RPMs) for a few seconds, it's all good. Holds an idle (low) when cold and runs fine after that

-Door hinge pins need replaced on both sides

-No radio, but still has the factory wiring and plug

-Sunroof doesn't seem to operate, but if you hit the buttons you can hear the motor trying to do something

-Needs various interior bits. The center console lid is busted. Overhead console dome lights are broken. Sun visors are missing their mirrors

-Headlights look rough

-Front tires definitely need replaced, and it probably needs an alignment. I had the shop check out the front end (you can occasionally hear a clunk at low speeds when weight is transferred, like when braking while turning) and they said it all looks good, but the idler arm has a little play in it. Personally I think the steering shaft rag joint is worn as well

I think that's about sums it up. The engine runs REALLY strong without a miss, the trans shifts absolutely perfect without any grinds, no popping out of gear, goes into all gears easy and smooth. Clutch feels great, never slips. Brakes feel perfect. It's pretty loaded with power options. Heat and A/C both work.

The bottom line is that it's a rust-free 5-speed Blazer, which is really hard to find nowadays. It's 2WD but has all the normal ZR2 suspension goodies plus the 3.73 G80 rear. I think all the issues could be fixed relatively quick and cheap. One trip to Pick-n-Pull would cure 90% of it.

I paid $2500 plus tax/title and spent another $600 on having the local shop replace the radiator and go through it. I would list it on FB marketplace for close to $3k, but honestly I would MUCH rather sell it for half that much to a friend or CR member, just to avoid the typical marketplace/craigslist headaches. It was an impulse buy and if I weren't currently living in an apartment, I would keep it and fix it up.

LMK if you're interested :cool: