Home Defense for the wife

Sully

With the increase in crime lately, I am considering getting something for the wife to keep nearby in the house since she is a SAHM. She has shot guns before, but never owned one. I have several shotguns in the house, but I need something easier to grab and more manageable for her. I'd like to get something inexpensive but reliable and cheap on ammo. What would you recommend?

Revolver of her choosing.

Whether a .38 spl, 9mm, or one of the .22lr/.22wmg combos or anything else, they don't jam/no FTF or FTE or anything, if she pulls the trigger and it doesn't fire for whatever reason she just needs to pull the trigger again, she won't have to worry about racking a slide/chambering a round, she won't have to worry about hot casings being ejected, and a .22wmg will hold 9 rounds.

Really hard to say how much is she going to be "into" it. I agree with Otis actually if it's just something she will grab point and shoot revolver might be a great idea.

If she's going to rely on semi-auto she will need to get comfortable with it, multiple range trips, probably should learn how to disassemble it/clean it just to become comfortable with the gun and controls. Might sound dumb but if you can disassemble, clean and put back together you will likely be pretty comfortable with the gun.

My wife will shoot about anything but she loves 1911's because of the weight. I have them in 9mm just to reduce ammo types and it's easier for her.

There are a billion options and a billion opinions I would have a good conversation about how involved she wants to be with it as far as practice (range time) even dry fire drills, practicing changing mags, etc. It's hard to beat a good semi-auto (sig 320, glock 19, S&W MP, etc. )

But you need to be comfortable with the gun.

Might sound crazy, but I LOVE my Foxtrot Mike 9mm AR pistol. Almost no recoil, but it's more of a pistol caliber carbine than a pistol. Anyone could shoot it, it's a very short frame with only a 6 inch barrel, but it takes 33 round Glock mags. Would be great as a home defense weapon I believe. If anyone want to give it a try let me know, we can set up a range day and have some fun.

Might sound crazy, but I LOVE my Foxtrot Mike 9mm AR pistol. Almost no recoil, but it's more of a pistol caliber carbine than a pistol. Anyone could shoot it, it's a very short frame with only a 6 inch barrel, but it takes 33 round Glock mags. Would be great as a home defense weapon I believe. If anyone want to give it a try let me know, we can set up a range day and have some fun.

I honestly think this is an amazing option for those who are not avid shooters/might be afraid of recoil, etc. Pistol caliber carbines or larger pistols with braces/weight are amazing to shoot.

CZ scorpion, Stribog SR9, SIG MPX, ETC. are insanely accurate at typical defense ranges and next to no recoil.

I stand behind my recommendation, my wife isn’t afraid of her 9mm and keeps it bedside for when I’m not at home. Personally, I don’t know if I’d trust a 22 for self defense. Too many hopped up meth-heads going crazy lately and nothing short of serious restraints (or firepower) seem to stop them. I’d rather see someone get something they have good availability in to practice than a shelf queen that never gets shot and can’t be relied on if SHTF. Training and practice are a must regardless of what’s chosen.

I stand behind my recommendation

Your recommendation was a caliber, not a firearm, but a good one. I second your recommendation. It also falls in line with the revolver recommendation and several good semi-autos. 9mm is a solid round although it's priced currently about twice or more what it should be....but what isn't?

my wife isn’t afraid of her 9mm and keeps it bedside for when I’m not at home.

My wife isn't afraid of 9mm being that she grew up in a family of mountain men and hunters and shooting 12g (even slugs for deer) and every common pistol cal, but in times of duress a revolver is easier to just keep pulling the trigger. Admittedly she's also shot less in her adult life than she did back then. Personally I like a good 9mm semi-auto. I'd also like a good 9mm revolver. Pull, pull, pull, pull, pull, etc.

Personally, I don’t know if I’d trust a 22 for self defense. Too many hopped up meth-heads going crazy lately and nothing short of serious restraints (or firepower) seem to stop them.

Have you not heard of the .22 Caliber Killer? What about the elderly woman who defended herself with a .22? Maybe this is a better example.

I agree that a higher caliber will DEF inflict more damage (it's science) but IF the invader isn't a World War Z zombie they ain't sticking around to get hit by 1-9 .22 LR's or WMG rounds. If they hear, "BANG!" they're gone...if not dead or at least injured.

I've yet to meet someone who says something similar (and MANY have) who will sign a waiver then let me shoot .22L or .22WMG at them as they try to flee. You signing up?

If they ARE that meth'd out, well, there are

that show that

There is one particular vid I was looking for that show a guy who was shot in the double digits by multiple LEO's and was still charging aggressively with a machete or something but I can't find it now. Actually, IIRC he was hit with 5.56 too.

I’d rather see someone get something they have good availability in to practice than a shelf queen that never gets shot and can’t be relied on if SHTF. Training and practice are a must regardless of what’s chosen.

100% agree.

What is inexpensive and reliable? To me, a $600 AR chambered in 9mm with a 8" barrel seems functional.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psa-8-9mm-1-10-7-lightweight-m-lok-moe-sba3-pistol.html

Throw one of these one it and be done.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/holosun-micro-sight-dot-reticle-with-shake-awake-hs403b.html

Rural king sells 33 round knock off Glock mags for these @ $15 each.

9mm ammo pricing sucks still, but it is out there.

She needs to be the one to go shoot several variants of firearms in a manner to simulate engaging bad guys. Then, she can say what was effective and comfortable for her. Us suggesting a gun for her is like us thinking we know what tampon will be comfortable for her.

EDIT:

Rick and Jerrodh get it.

• Upvote 1

I get ya Otis, but in an effort not to get into a brand debate I left it open on purpose. My opinions here on reliable and cheap are frowned upon. :lolguy:

I also didn’t say 22 can’t be lethal, but in a panic situation popping off 22 and getting a grazing hit vs a that same grazing hit with a self defense 9mm are going to inflict vastly different damage. That’s partly why I chose 9mm with good jhp rounds for the bedside. People underestimate what they can accomplish under severe duress.

When picking home defense, always take into consideration your style of home. If a shot misees it's intended target, where is it going?

I haven't kept up with bullet technology the past 5 years but .223 slowed down quicker than 9mm did when going through walls. If this still holds true I'd be looking at an AR in 223/556 over a 9mm.

When picking home defense, always take into consideration your style of home. If a shot misees it's intended target, where is it going?

I haven't kept up with bullet technology the past 5 years but .223 slowed down quicker than 9mm did when going through walls. If this still holds true I'd be looking at an AR in 223/556 over a 9mm.

.22 goes through 3 layers of dry wall.

Get a judge public defender...then self defense 410 ammo for it.

Almost no kick and you don't have to hit dead on.

I'm so torn on those. I loved the idea when they first came out but never bought one and now I don't really care whether I own one or not.

...but it's also a revolver so it'll just work. lol

Get a judge public defender...then self defense 410 ammo for it. Almost no kick and you don't have to hit dead on.

I've waffled on those quite a bit. My brother in law has the SW version and keeps .410 loads in it. I don't recall a ton of spread though. Certainly not at the typical 20-25ft max that you're likely to see inside a home. Load perhaps matters, I'm not sure. His were pretty tight though.

Certainly a good suggestion. Fun guns for sure.

I'm a fan of a 410. Have any of you tried to buy ammo for one in the last year, and been successful?

I have a hard time getting on board with a judge, or revolvers in general. Any time I see newer people shooting with a trigger pull of 4+ lbs, they tend to not enjoy shooting the gun. Many ladies don't like the hard trigger pull. Revolvers are going to be in that range, with the judge being 3.5lbs in single action. It would take some repetition, training, to create the habit of cocking the hammer and engaging the target effectively. I think when we are talking a SAHM situation, the comfort level and repetition of motor skill would be hard to comfortably say is there, if shooting is not something she is going to do from time to time. And, if she was going to do it from time to time, than other platforms than a revolver would prove more ability, simply on capacity alone.

Get a judge public defender...then self defense 410 ammo for it.

Almost no kick and you don't have to hit dead on.

I second this. I have one sitting on the headboard. .410 Self defense from Winchester (PDX1) in a 2.5" shell has 3 copper discs and 12 BB's with a decent pattern. With a 4-10" penetration in ballistics gel, they are not over penetrating and with the nice spread, it is great for a hallway gun. It is not the most comfortable to carry especially on someone with a smaller frame. Another advantage is the key lock safety built in for when you are not using it and want to lock it out from prying little hands.

I personally carry it for CCW sometimes and like that I can take the .410 shells out and load 45LC JHP for when I am more concerned about the spread.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I had also stopped at Vance's after work on Friday to pick their brain a bit. What I've decided that it boils down to is what several of you have stated. She needs to be comfortable with it. So, instead of just getting her a gun, I'm going to take her to the range to let her try a few different ones.