Buying a Scooter/Moped questions

carl1647545492

Getting on FB on CL seems like a few folks are selling bikes "for my boss" I think I can spot a bad condition bike but have no clue when it comes to paperwork and making sure bike isn't stolen

To cut out that out what should I ask for before even looking? a vin # ? or ?

Scooters and mopeds should have titles just like a car. Same things you would check when buying a car apply. Check the VIN on the vehicle with the VIN on the title. Confirm seller information on the title is correctly completed (if already notarized). Or meet seller at the Title Agency to transfer ownership.

I've got a 1985 Honda Elite 80 scooter that I love. Old school looks and since It's a Honda, it just works all the time. Also since it is so old, I registered it with historic tags and insure it with Hagerty for pennies a month.

Makes sense with the vin # ideally would like to run through before I waste time looking seems like there are different opinions,no you just need a serial # to get titled with a bill of sale

Neighbor has a Honda CT 90 barn find hat he completely went through and now runs around on and its definitely a cool little bike,he pulls over and we speak for a bit so I get the appeal.

Show me a Navi for 1900 and I would buy it.!

https://powersports.honda.com/street/minimoto/navi

Base Price $1800. Yeah, you have fees/tax/title/tags on top of that. But they are less than $1900 new.

I might have to consider one for the trailer to take to the track. The minibike is okay, but this would be way better. Was thinking about a Honda Rukus, but the Navi is interesting.

Just order a Navi if you’re serious about this. I see crap bikes for $1000 to 1200 that need a lot of work. If you order a Navi now, it’ll be here by March right when the weather breaks and every goober coming out of COVID 2 is gonna want to get out on the road. Even if you didn’t want it you could probably flip it for a couple hundred bucks. :lol:

What's a real, no-shit, out the door price on a navi though? Once dealer adds on their $500 for dealer prep fee, $250 documentation fee, and whatever markup the spud-season dictates we're lookin at $2700ish after taxes and fees?

I'd take a grom over a navi if those were my only two options.

+1 for a grom. I purchased one and like it. I found one under 1000 miles and only mods were a muffler change and mirrors. It was a 2017(looks like new) and I purchased it from the original 60 year old owner who worked at Honda for under $3k. Edited by RS69

The old CT 90,s have become collectable to the point where they are 2500 to 3K now,they are cool but it almost makes a new Grom seem reasonable.

FWIW I priced a new Grom at Iron Pony and a 2800 sticker was 3450 all said and done.

That is why I bought the grom. I recently sold one of my classic bikes, my 1966 ca102 with a asking price $1500 and it sold within a hour locally. I had many calls and realized I was too cheap. There are some good affordable Groms for under $3k that are not beat up. I have enough classics/etc, I just wanted something to use at Mid Ohio and other racetracks to cruise the grounds with.

Talking of Mid Ohio my scooter neighbor paid $ 1000 for 1 of his Honda mopeds at Vintage Motorcycle days event https://www.midohio.com/news-m/838-dates-announced-for-30th-ama-vintage-motorcycle-days-2022-july-22-24

Said it was a cool swap meet bikes racing type deal that we will probably go check out.

Talking of Mid Ohio my scooter neighbor paid $ 1000 for 1 of his Honda mopeds at Vintage Motorcycle days event https://www.midohio.com/news-m/838-dates-announced-for-30th-ama-vintage-motorcycle-days-2022-july-22-24

Said it was a cool swap meet bikes racing type deal that we will probably go check out.

Yes, it is a great time.