Critique my garage build plan

Trouble Maker

What should I do differently here?

Some considerations.

We are limited by site constraints as well as city code. Code dictates <15' high and <720sqft. We'll likely be asking for variance on both, but have to be considerate about what will or won't pass. Height seems like not a huge issue, size (plus plumbing plan) seems more difficult at the local level.

Additionally we want it to work (very) well with our site, future plans as well as architectural match the house. This means a lower roof pitch parallel to the road, as well as ~19' max height. The current house peak is around 19.5'. We want to keep a pass through to the back yard. We also want a bathroom, height for a lift & lofted workshop space.

I've made some rudimentary sketches to coalesce my ideas as well as facilitate conversations with construction and architectural firms about feasibility.

These are our basic site constraints.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=9925

And basic image of new garage and driveway.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=9926

Rough dimensions from the side view.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=9927

This get's us enough height for a lift on the back right

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=9928

And lofted workshop space on the back left.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=9929

What do you think, any good ideas about what to change or do differently?

Edited by Trouble Maker

What should I do differently here?

Some considerations.

We are limited by site constraints as well as city code. Code dictates <15' high and <720sqft. We'll likely be asking for variance on both, but have to be considerate about what will or won't pass. Height seems like not a huge issue, size (plus plumbing plan) seems more difficult at the local level.

Additionally we want it to work (very) well with our site, future plans as well as architectural match the house. This means a lower roof pitch parallel to the road, as well as ~19' max height. The current house peak is around 19.5'. We want to keep a pass through to the back yard. We also want a bathroom, height for a lift & lofted workshop space.

I've made some rudimentary sketches to coalesce my ideas as well as facilitate conversations with construction and architectural firms about feasibility.

These are our basic site constraints.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=9925

And basic image of new garage and driveway.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=9926

Rough dimensions from the side view.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=9927

This get's us enough height for a lift on the back right

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=9928

And lofted workshop space on the back left.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=9929

What do you think, any good ideas about what to change or do differently?

Is this your only garage or additional to a 1 or 2 car that already exists?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Is this your only garage or additional to a 1 or 2 car that already exists?

This would be our only garage, replacing and in a similar spot as a 1.5 car that already exist.

You can see it in the first pic, site constraints, listed as Garage.

Here's old versus new, old in black and new in red.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=9930

...propane heat to this new garage.

You're generally on the right track with utilities. My original plan was to run all utilities (natural gas, electric, water and sewer) to the garage. Then we can have a small bathroom, gas for heat. Eventually this would enable the outdoor kitchen too. I'm debating on gas now, since my latest plan is to do a (DIY) mini-split and that'll get us both heat and A/C. So for now the gas wouldn't be used, but might be with the kitchen or fire pit. Struggling with the idea of installing gas for a maybe down the road. Most of what I want to do with the outdoor kitchen is cooking over real fire. Gas line for fire pit would just be to make it easy to start wood logs, but that's easy enough most of the time anyway. I'm getting mixed info on whether water and sewer is OK, but it's our (strong) want so I'm going ahead with that plan and if it's not possible we'll cross that bridge then.

Great time to add a 500 gal propane tank...[/url]

I doubt propane tanks are OK in city limits, but I don't see a realistic situation to use it anyway. See above, if we need gas we'll just run an natural gas line from inside.

...22K generator ...

When we redid the electrical system I installed a panel with a manual changeover, power connection on the side of the house and 8kw (gas) manual generator. That's enough for what I envision ever needing.

Edited by Trouble Maker

It had been a minute since I have done anything downtown, but anything 5-feet from the property line used to need fire rated.

Where is the 3' coming from?

3' is just my understanding and could be wrong.

I think many of these details depends on specific (zone) area, what it's zoned as and/or are there in a special/historic district. Here I believe habitable space is 5', but something like a garage is 3'?

I read this as saying 3' is the minimum for garages in R-3, we are in an R-3 district.

https://library.municode.com/oh/columbus/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TIT33ZOCO_CH3332REDI_3332.26MISIYAPE

Section E "Notwithstanding above subsection (A), (B), © or (D), as the case may be, the required minimum distance of a detached garage from the interior side lot line shall be three feet."

I need to discuss this details with construction and architectural firms, but this is me trying to get my ducks in a row before I do and see what I'm missing or good ideas others have. :)

Why the cut out on the bottom with the woodworking loft as an overhang? Why not box that all in? Is there enough storage in the garage for all your other stuff, or are you going to end up filling the lift area with stuff (bikes, mower, etc)? Is there room for a decent side toolbox? Wired for a EV changer? Need an air compressor? Dust collection for wood tools?

Why the cut out on the bottom with the woodworking loft as an overhang? Why not box that all in? Is there enough storage in the garage for all your other stuff, or are you going to end up filling the lift area with stuff (bikes, mower, etc)? Is there room for a decent side toolbox? Wired for a EV changer? Need an air compressor? Dust collection for wood tools?

City code limit is 720 sq.ft. and that's already 745 sq.ft ignoring the lofted workshop space. Having gone to the zoning and variance committee meeting I'd say we are already pushing it and going up to a 4 car 22'x40' (880 sq.ft.) on 1st floor alone will be a no go. I'm going to the next (commission/council) meeting Thursday so we'll see how that goes, they may be more lenient. Just trying to make the most out of the space that we are allowed.

With the lofted workshop space I'll be able to put many of the larger tools up there. If needed I can put the air compressor up there too and run lines throughout the garage.

All big yard tools are in a shed, but we'll likely get a bigger one down the road and put all yard tools in there. Other than bikes and a tool box this won't leave a ton needed to be stored on the 1st floor.

I also really like the idea of putting an outdoor kitchen out there in the future.

just let me know when you are ready to do the metal roof to match your house, the gutters soffit fascia and siding :)

We definitely need to talk before we get too much further.

We are planning to match the house roof, siding and gutters.

Do you not do (whole) garages this size/scope?

If the garage is built into a house remodel (as opposed to a freestanding building) can you get more flexible on the size? UA has restrictions on standalone buildings but a lot of people breezeway a garage to their house and the flexibility increases dramatically.

Edit: I see your comments above but the one thing about paying too dollar for garage/storage space is it will never be enough, and if much of the infrastructure cost is already built you should stretch for the absolute most room you can afford.

We definitely need to talk before we get too much further.

We are planning to match the house roof, siding and gutters.

Do you not do (whole) garages this size/scope?

I have contacts and we can just not what we really like to get into . I try to stay in my lane but it’s not impossible

If the garage is built into a house remodel (as opposed to a freestanding building) can you get more flexible on the size? UA has restrictions on standalone buildings but a lot of people breezeway a garage to their house and the flexibility increases dramatically.

Probably lots of people in UA trying to do habitable space; an apartment with kitchen(ete). Similar issues here, usually not allowed detached. Worries of ADUs (accessory dwelling units) turning into apartments or worse... gasp... Airbnbs. With both house and garage being low sloped roofs and only 1.5 story, to get the spaces to connect, best case we would have to move the garage forward about 15' which starts to cause some real problems. Namely too short driveway at only 35' total, but that's especially an issue on the left side not having enough room to pull into with the tree there. The tree is a beautiful mature Japanese maple that I might chain myself to if someone tried to take it out. At any rate I'm not trying to make habitable space, but it could be a backdoor to more space regardless of how classified. I'm going to keep mulling this one over to see if there's some way to make it work.

Edit: By breezeway do you mean elevated connected walk walk or kind of enclose (or not) porch connecting at ground level? I'll have to check but I don't believe the code 'cares' about breezeways other than probably calculating yard coverage% and getting some taxes out of it. What I mean is I believe it doesn't then work as an attached garage, maybe other than needing fire rating on the connecting wall (just a guess). I imagine it may only work if the 'habitable' spaces were 'directly' connected, which in my last paragraph is what I was referencing about connecting at the 2nd story. With a connection at ground level this also won't work with our current image, the 'habitable' spaces wouldn't be connected.

Edit: I see your comments above but the one thing about paying too dollar for garage/storage space is it will never be enough, and if much of the infrastructure cost is already built you should stretch for the absolute most room you can afford.

It's not so much about cost, of course at some point it always is, and this is already going to be an expensive project. Likely closing in that lower left half would be relatively inexpensive. But it's much more about code and what we can get variances for. Code is <15ft high, <720sqft. We'll already be asking for a variance on (probably) both of those. But if you want 15.5' and 721 sq ft they probably won't bat an eye, but if you want 1500 sq ft. 20' roof and fully habitable space it'll very likely be rejected. The variance and zoning committee approved 2 garages that were mostly height variances, but the two that also had significantly more space and plumbing were rejected. Of those one was only a bathroom for office space, which seemed like overreach by the committee to me. That committee is not the final say, the commission meeting is on Thursday and I plan to attend it to see if any of the rejections get accepted.

Additionally I'm kind of getting stuck on that being outdoor kitchen space to match our future image of how to build that backyard space out. I know you've only been to our place once, but if you remember the back of the house is the renovated dining/kitchen and the back right is the French doors. So my 'master' image is to essentially connect these spaces for when we have people over. Phil, meant to reference this image last night but was winding down for the day.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1090&pictureid=9932

Edited by Trouble Maker

I have contacts and we can just not what we really like to get into . I try to stay in my lane but it’s not impossible

Understand, I agree it makes sense to use you all for what you are comfortable with. Is your image to do everything past somewhere around framing, sheeting or house wrap/roof felt? I'll talk to the companies I'm going to have conversations with to see if they are comfortable with doing the first 'half' of the project and you all do the rest.

Just went through the variance project with Columbus in 2019-2020 (43214 zip, but not Clintonville). We built a 720 sq ft garage in while retaining our oversized 2 car attached (2 garages w/~1318 total sq ft) . Put in 60a electric, no gas or plumbing. Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss, hear more firsthand about the process (more details than I car to type out...)

Understand, I agree it makes sense to use you all for what you are comfortable with. Is your image to do everything past somewhere around framing, sheeting or house wrap/roof felt? I'll talk to the companies I'm going to have conversations with to see if they are comfortable with doing the first 'half' of the project and you all do the rest.

framed out and sheeted is easiest but we can sheet and deck it if needed also.

This is certainly a rabbit hole but a ton of great info from your research and thoughts, Jesse. Best of luck with the project as someone like Craig will have much better insight than I do.

It does suck for hobbyists/car guys that these restrictions exist. I've dealt with UA Code this year and you realize that "neighborhood aesthetic" can be a nebulous term that kills a lot of big ideas in the suburbs. No wonder people move out to the country where they have a ton more options for building out space for toys and hobbies.

This is certainly a rabbit hole but a ton of great info from your research and thoughts, Jesse. Best of luck with the project...

Thanks!

It does suck for hobbyists/car guys that these restrictions exist. I've dealt with UA Code this year and you realize that "neighborhood aesthetic" can be a nebulous term that kills a lot of big ideas in the suburbs. No wonder people move out to the country where they have a ton more options for building out space for toys and hobbies.

That's no joke. If it were just the code and city I wouldn't be so concerned. My experience with permits and inspections has been really good. But so far these committees and commissions seems much closer to HOAs than I care to admit. Finally while I get the appeal of country living, especially in this situation, I'll still take these hurdles and limits since it means I can walk to bars and restaurants. Additionally I think/hope the city codes will catch up to the reality of Columbus becoming and needing to be more dense, reflect the need for increase flexibility us use of space for things like ADUs soon.

That's no joke. If it were just the code and city I wouldn't be so concerned. My experience with permits and inspections has been really good. But so far these committees and commissions seems much closer to HOAs than I care to admit. Finally while I get the appeal of country living, especially in this situation, I'll still take these hurdles and limits since it means I can walk to bars and restaurants. Additionally I think/hope the city codes will catch up to the reality of Columbus becoming and needing to be more dense, reflect the need for increase flexibility us use of space for things like ADUs soon.

Agreed 100%. It wasn't long ago that you nearly couldn't put a solar-panel system on your roof in UA. Code needs to change for myriad reasons.

Craig, thanks again for walking me through your process! I really appreciate the call.

Went to the local commission meeting and it was also interesting.

There were 4 garage variances brought up at the zoning and variance committee last week, 2 were recommended and 2 weren't (voted down). However after that they all still go to the local commission. They all passed pretty easily at the commission meeting yesterday. My local commissioner did voice his opinion that he doesn't like the taller garages, however he did still vote 2 of them up. So that could be a hurdle. He did seem reasonable so I hope with our story, why we are doing what we are doing VS some other way that wouldn't need a variance, we can win him over. I could follow them to the BZA but I don't imagine they'll see any issues there.