Chevy Silverado EV

zeitgeist57

I heard about this on one of my daily emails and thought "There's GM, rushing to market with a half-baked product." after seeing how impressive the F-150 Lightning was. Man, this actually looks great with the Avalanche midgate option too.

Just skimmed through this article, and as much as I crap on post-gubmint-bailout gm this is an impressive vehicle. Didn't even think of the platform-sharing with the new Hummer EV. This thing will be a hit. Front end is still hideous as always.

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/01/05/2024-chevy-silverado-ev-reveal-ces-midgate-avalanche/

Chevy or Ford, the consumer wins with these new EV trucks. Will be intadesting to see if the products live up to the hype and the numbers the OEMs put up.

Chevy or Ford, the consumer wins with these new EV trucks.

It comes with a similarly fully-loaded price of $105,000 not including destination. Now, before that scares you away, note that there are far more trims and powertrain options coming for 2025. Chevy says that the base private customer-spec WT will start at $39,900, not including destination. That will also come with a smaller battery pack that will become available for 2025. So, yes, the Silverado EV will be seriously pricey to start, but affordable versions are on the way, even a Trail Boss variant.

No thank you. That's not "consumer winning" IMO.

Also, as you alluded to and others have said, that's the ugliest looking Ridgeline I've ever seen.

I heard about this on one of my daily emails and thought "There's GM, rushing to market with a half-baked product." after seeing how impressive the F-150 Lightning was. Man, this actually looks great with the Avalanche midgate option too.

Just skimmed through this article, and as much as I crap on post-gubmint-bailout gm this is an impressive vehicle. Didn't even think of the platform-sharing with the new Hummer EV. This thing will be a hit. Front end is still hideous as always.

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/01/05/2024-chevy-silverado-ev-reveal-ces-midgate-avalanche/

Chevy or Ford, the consumer wins with these new EV trucks. Will be intadesting to see if the products live up to the hype and the numbers the OEMs put up.

When I saw this thing as a clay model a few months ago I was unsure about the exterior styling theme. Ford used the same sheet metal as the ICE F150 and that definitely saved some cash and might not alienate their traditional customer.

However doing a clean sheet design has its perks. It has a ton of nice features (multifunction tailgate, midgate, tons of outlets for equipment, SuperCruise...) and they were able to move the front seats farther forward (rear seats have 4" more leg room than the F150!). I think the Chevy interior looks nicer, but Ford will have a clean sheet EV truck out around 2025 too. From the pics it looks like the F150 frunk might be a little bigger, but both the Chevy and Ford have a leg up on the Rivian there.

I think the blue RST trim they showed looks pretty good, but the WT looks horrible (probably a poor choice in acronym too for the cheapest model). But hopefully a lot of the WT's will end up vinyl wrapped with some business graphics all over it.

While it will get compared to the F150 a lot, you also have to figure that a major target is Rivian. They said there will be several different price points for the Silverado and the RST launch edition is fully loaded. With the WT at $40k I'm assuming there will be a ~$60k model that's decently equipped that will go toe to toe with the R1T.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Amazing they're keeping the Equinox name for an EV given what turds those have always been
I mean, they kept the Silverado name for the EV too, but there's still an ICE Silverado across the showroom.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

...but the WT looks horrible (probably a poor choice in acronym too for the cheapest model). But hopefully a lot of the WT's will end up vinyl wrapped with some business graphics all over it.

FWIW the WT trim stands for "Work Truck" (literally that's what it is called in all internal and external materials) and has been around since 1988 and the GMT400 platform. As I have been told, they were originally a way for dealers to order fleet spec bare bones trucks for customers that didn't qualify as Fleet or commercial customers. It's a terrible trim acronym but it is a legacy one for GM.

I'm kinda with you on being confused as to why they used the WT for a clean sheet base model electric. They could have literally gone with anything else, but they chose the trim of the truck that anybody who has every worked for a municipality has cursed for it's too small cab, uncomfortable vinyl seats, and ashtrays so hard to clean that everybody just lets them fill up till they overflow. Even now just saying WT has me picturing a white 1991 long bed short cab with peeling paint, gray grill and bumpers, and reeking of parliaments.

memba when that elon character showed us a that tomb raider tiddy truck and then it never came out? Pepperidge farm.
Yeah, and GM is already delivering Hummer EV's to customers while people still wait for that abomination from Elon.

Edit to add:

Looks like the RST Launch Edition "sold out" in 12 minutes.

I know the need to have a EV Truck in the market, but I also kinda wish there was a 7 passenger SUV version of this to rival the Rivian R1T and R1S. Not everyone needs a truck bed and it wouldn't be too hard to do. People are already spending big money for the Expedition, Escalade, Grand Wagoneer, and the Rivian R1S is the only large SUV that's even been announced. If it could be done in the $60-80k range the Trail Boss was rumored to fall into I think they'd have a winner.

Edited by Mallard

I think it looks better than the current Silverado. I think they went a little too far towards the Hyundai Santa Cruz-like styling, but I’m still impressed. This is the same company that designed the Bolt, so I know the bar is low.

It's a terrible trim acronym but it is a legacy one for GM.

Agreed. WT is def GM legacy.

Not everyone needs a truck bed and it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Folks who buy anything with a "mid gate" don't need a truck bed either. It's just a convenience that one time their wife makes them buy new trim...so long as the weather isn't terrible.