CR Shut Down - End of Month

excell

Friends - the time has come to shut down the forums. The software is super old, the newest versions won't upgrade cleanly so we can move to more modern (and cheaper) hosting, and our traffic has dropped to the point it's just not viable to keep things up any more. At the end of the month I'll be taking the site down and archiving a backup of the database and code. Now is the time to save any content you want to keep.

Discussion has largely moved to the Facebook group and will live on there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/108279778939

Personally, I want to thank all of you for your friendship and all the memories we made through the years. Since Anthony founded the group in 2001 (and many of us hanging out in the Columbus DSM and COFBA days since 1999/2000 and earlier) this is a bittersweet end to a platform that brought us together from all makes and models of motorsport and helped form lifelong friendships. We all leave the forums with memories of parking lot hangouts, Steak and Shake at 2am, racing in the middle of night and in the middle of nowhere, track days, dyno days, and lots and lots of banter and bullshit.

Whatever you do in the future, we hope it's awesome and wish for all of us to continue the hobby and passion we love.

:fa::marc::leghump::zoom:

Edit: I set up a Slack account for our chatbox buds, if you're so inclined. Invite open: https://join.slack.com/t/columbusracing/shared_invite/zt-11nte98g4-Yib8ynL36yDWEKv2jU5gvw

Edited by excell

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The end of an era. Kinda like moving away from Listserv back in the day....

Chris, will sponsorships, etc. for vendors still be available and expected? I fully support kicking in some money to keep things rolling there. Just let me know.

Chris, will sponsorships, etc. for vendors still be available and expected? I fully support kicking in some money to keep things rolling there. Just let me know.

Not at this time, but very much appreciated.

Damn. I figured this was coming eventually, but it still sucks. I get it though.

I have been in the habit of visiting CR daily for the last 15 years. I've bought and sold so much stuff on here, wayyy more than my 28 "trader rating" shows. I'm not super close with anyone from CR, but met some good people and always enjoyed my time on the forums. I just wish I had come out more often back in the day. Other than a handful of Broad/thrift store meets in the mid/late 2000's with my teal Camaro and a few Polaris meets in the early 2010's with my red Camaro, I wasn't very active (track days, QSL, etc).

Thanks to all who ran this place and those who contributed so much. Look for me on the FB group, Steve Kovalchik is my name. I'm the 35-year-old dude drinking beer out of a boot. I'll make an effort to attend cars and coffee or whatever car shows are around next year with my '85 GMC pickup, and any future track days once I eventually get a "fun car" again.

Snapchat-2137095202.jpg

Saw the notice come across my fb feed, and realized I haven't logged in for a while. I completely get it, and since moving to Cincinnati in 2006, I haven't made a meet. I can't be too surprised that the time has come to shut it down. I am surprised though that as I look at my "last login" info, that I haven't even visited the forum for nearly 5 years. I'd say that doesn't seem right, but I think it just shows how things have evolved.

Sucks to hear but understandable.

I have learned a lot from here over the years. Never got close to anyone but met a lot of great people, found services, parts and great recommendations when I have asked.

I appreciate all the time and effort by the powers that be.

It was the inevitable end state that we all saw with the rise of other social media platforms, but that doesn't take the sting away. A huge thank you to the Green family, the moderation team, my fellow sponsors, and everyone else who kept this forum running for as long as it has. It's been a hell of a ride, with many good friendships and memories as a result.

Thank you all for providing an excellent community to grow up in.

• Casper unpinned this topic