CR Shut Down - End of Month

excell

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember some story about Not Brian getting feces on his GF's loofa?

Dang. I need to update my profile and sig. I don't even have that car anymore. I also need to add a 2016 Honda Odyssey to the vehicle list. lol

I seem to remember some story about Not Brian getting feces on his GF's loofa?

Dang. I need to update my profile and sig. I don't even have that car anymore. I also need to add a 2016 Honda Odyssey to the vehicle list. lol

Because of this post I followed your photog FB shit...and also 'memba the loofah story. I also regret not buying that car when it was up for sale not too awful long ago.

If you need tips or tricks on Odyssey's hit up Clay or Gergles.

You pretty much summed up what happened to most members of the forum, right there.

why-would-you-say-something-so-controversial-yet-so-brave.gif

I'm sad to see the change, but I think I understand why working with the old tech has now brought us to this. Props to Chris and all the administrators and mods for devoting so much time over the last two decades to give us this forum. Your efforts have brought a lot of enjoyment and benefit to literally thousands of people and you are much appreciated.

I believe most of us see that our group is generally older, less nocturnal, and less car-crazy than in the early days. That in itself wouldn't be a problem if we had new, younger members joining, but that isn't happening. Most feel that it's generally true that the younger generation is less into cars in general, but there are likely other reasons why CR hasn't attracted more.

Although I'm far from tech-savvy, I wonder if a platform such as Discord would preserve a lot of what we like about CR, with much less cost and very little administrator time needed? I leave it to those of you who know much more about such things than I do to debate whether that would be feasible and desirable. I would think it would have an added plus of being more familiar and accessible to younger car enthusiasts than our current format.

For me, the best thing about Columbus Racing has always been the people. The spirit of this group isn't going to die until we ourselves die. The way we communicate with each other is going to transition, but managed correctly, it can be a means to enhance and grow CR.

Man, what a time. You feel like it had to come eventually, but also kind of thought it never would. If that makes sense. I haven't been active in a long time (since joining the AF and moving away), but this place has always been at the very top of my bookmarks and I always make sure to pop in from time to time.

I actually think (barring someone else taking over the whole kit and caboodle...I could see a subscription type of deal or Kickstarter by all the old-timers being viable honestly) that discord is the best alternative. The FB group is nice, but a lot of people have a strong aversion to that platform. Allows separate rooms (passing lane, parking lot, etc) and is more "private" than FB. I just hate to see the whole archive of everything that's happened here go away. I get it, but it's a bummer.

CR was be missed, I agree with FB it would be matter of time before the retirement. I have met a lot of people from this forum and thank all you for the advise and entertainment. Thank you Anthony and all the admins and others who kept the machine going. I will see you at C&C and on FB.

Crap! I check into CR several times a week. CR is my kind of people. Thanks Anthony for getting the ball rolling and anyone who worked on the site since.

I won't know it but I'm sure I'll run into you guys at track rentals or car shows around town. Take it easy.

Facebook is the devil.

Dave Hart

2 fords and a mopar

I'm sad to see the change, but I think I understand why working with the old tech has now brought us to this. Props to Chris and all the administrators and mods for devoting so much time over the last two decades to give us this forum. Your efforts have brought a lot of enjoyment and benefit to literally thousands of people and you are much appreciated.

I believe most of us see that our group is generally older, less nocturnal, and less car-crazy than in the early days. That in itself wouldn't be a problem if we had new, younger members joining, but that isn't happening. Most feel that it's generally true that the younger generation is less into cars in general, but there are likely other reasons why CR hasn't attracted more.

Although I'm far from tech-savvy, I wonder if a platform such as Discord would preserve a lot of what we like about CR, with much less cost and very little administrator time needed? I leave it to those of you who know much more about such things than I do to debate whether that would be feasible and desirable. I would think it would have an added plus of being more familiar and accessible to younger car enthusiasts than our current format.

For me, the best thing about Columbus Racing has always been the people. The spirit of this group isn't going to die until we ourselves die. The way we communicate with each other is going to transition, but managed correctly, it can be a means to enhance and grow CR.

nail on the head... Some of us still own fast cars but they are just collecting dust... I mean my Camaro just sits on the lift collecting dust, I never drive it anymore.

Cant upgrade to newer software other forums are using?

Not really worth it.

Money. Hosting and backups cost ~$75/mo.

Also, security. We're on an old ass (and vulnerable) version of Apache and PHP and Ubuntu operating system that's 12 years old.

And time. I don't want to put the time to building up a more secure place to host such old shit, nor do I want to put the time in to fixing all of the stuff that breaks when performing an upgrade so it can run on newer shit, for a site that gets dozens of users a month.

I'm open to discussing handing things off to someone, if someone wants to put the money and time into bringing things up to current spec.

With that said, I still have an active vBulletin 5 Connect license I would be willing to throw the sites way since I am no longer using it if some one would be wanting to keep the site up. IMO I agree with excell that it doesn't really warrant doing with little activity that the site gets.

I'm really going to miss CR as I log in many times a day and keep up with you guys from back home. Hope we can keep a community of such awesome guys (yes even the ones I have fun arguing with in Kitchen), I can honestly say I've never blocked anyone on this forum and value everyone because everyone has value.

If I didn't have plenty of issues and things going on IRL I'd take up the task of modernizing the forum. Maybe keep that idea on the back burner because I'm all for it, could put in the tech time, and have very underutilized servers anyway as part of my business.

If anyone wants to keep in touch, ask me questions etc I consider all of you the best friends I got.

FB - Evan Whytsell

I'm on LinkedIn as well

ewhytsell@hotmail.com

dojiscalper@gmail.com

ewhytsell@ultimatetechnologyconsulting.com

Thanks to the Admin for all they've done,

Edited by Tractor

Absolutely. Discord is 100% free to setup. Most upgrades are only for ability to host Larger pictures and video and things like that. I would be happy to help setup a discord that could even attach to the Facebook Group.

• Casper unpinned this topic