Spring Ride May 14, 2022

durk

Date: SATURDAY - May 14, 2022

Meet Place: Marathon gas station @ 706 S Friendship Dr
New Concord, OH  43762

Time: Meet by 10:30; kick stands up by 11:00 or earlier if possible 

Notice I did not label this an Epic Ride. I’m no social butterfly so this is just a meet and let’s ride kind of thing for me. Definitely want to say hey to some familiar faces and meet some new folks, but I’m no Derek. I don’t see me organizing photos or taking snapshots as everyone rides in. If there’s somebody that wants to do that and that’s his/her thing chime in and we’ll try to make it all work.

I’m willing to lead a group of similar speed guys, but we may need some others willing to lead depending on who shows up. My pace will be my normal which I would classify as medium fast. If I bring the sport tourer I’ll be a bit slower than my normal I’d guess. I don’t think I’ll be too far off my normal, however.

Request: Be AGATT if possible 

Some etiquette to help us all better as suggested by many riders:

Everyone is responsible for themselves, so ride within your limits. Crashing is not something we want to have happen.

Ride within your limits and stay safe. Our goal is to have a fun safe day of riding with a bunch who share the same passion. Crashing only ruins that fun, not only for you, but for others as well. Food will be provided at the end of the ride. 

Ideal maximum group size is ten riders with a lead rider and a tail (sweep) rider. These two riders should be interchangeable in skill level so that the sweep rider can evaluate and help the riders in front of them: These two riders need to know the count of how many riders are in their group.

The lead rider needs to wait at all stops for the sweep rider to give him a thumbs up.  At each stop the leader or sweep rider can switch or at their discretion ask and allow a new formation of the line. Do not allow passing other riders in same group once the ride has started except at starts.

Passing slow moving vehicles may be needed for the faster group; when doing this each rider makes times and judges it for themselves.  Don't wait for the group to pass as a whole.  At times, riders might have to cross a double yellow to pass.

Group leaders and sweeps should know the route well and if possible have ridden it prior to event.

Do not allow changes of groups at stops (Unless both ride leaders of both groups are aware of the change and it does not raise the group count to over ten riders. If a rider has to leave a group early, please make sure they tell someone in the group.  Do not pass other riders within a group, except at stops or if the rider in front waves you passed. Try and avoid 'pushing' a rider in front of you (this means to give the people in front of you space so they don't feel pressured to go faster than they are comfortable).  If you picked the wrong spot in line of your group ask to change positions at stops or if a rider signals you to pass.

Start the ride with a full tank of gas.

Route: https://www.mapquest.com/directions/list/1/us/ohio/marathon-346546101/to/us/ohio/bristol-oh-283477805/to/us/ohio/chesterhill-oh-282035655/to/us/ohio/wolf-creek-oh-283486998/to/us/ohio/watertown-oh-282912229/to/us/oh/marietta/45750-1933/551-n-7th-st-39.424269,-81.453203/to/us/ohio/sitka-oh-283399104/to/near-39.585387,-81.216415/to/us/ohio/lewisville-oh-282027802/to/us/oh/woodsfield/43793-9166/50561-state-route-145-39.848095,-81.169210/to/us/oh/piedmont/43983/73830-freeport-rd-40.167995,-81.241399/to/us/oh/cadiz

Note: I do not have the route looping back to New Concord. If you follow my route to Lewisville, OH 145 and 78 intersect there at a gas station I plan to fuel up at. You can use 78 to access 77 or continue up 145 with me to 800 and you can access 70, or follow me on into Cadiz if you like.

If not looping back is a deal breaker speak up and I’ll make the adjustments. 

This is how groups were labeled in the past  I would tell you medium-fast and fast are probably underestimated here.  Medium was about spot on with what is written here the year I rode in it. 

The Groups

Always start one group below what you feel you ride. Meaning if you think your fast, start with medium fast group and if you are comfortable move to the fast group during gas break after letting the lead and sweep know. Better to be safe than sorry. Remember we might be riding roads very new to you.

Fast:

Usually 70mph on the straight and 25-30 mph over the posted limit of curve.

The people who belong to the group know they belong to this group, they dont think they belong here.Dont jump in here unless you been riding with such fellows for some time. 

Medium-Fast:

65-70mph on the straight and 20-25 over the posted limit of curve.

This is the usual fast rides some group rides do, still rather fast• Jump in here if you been riding for a while and are comfortable at these paces on most roads

Medium:

65 mph on the straight and 15-20 over the posted limit of curve.

This is the everyday regular group rides pace,Jump in here if you been riding for a while and are comfortable at these paces on most roads

Slow:

60 mph or around posted limit on the straight and up to 10 over the posted limit of curve.

This is the a very comfortable yet fun group ride. Jump in here if you like doing friendly fun rides and also new riders must join here.

If you could please announce if you plan to attend and which group. If you plan on bringing someone else from outside of the forums, or those who don't post, please add a +1 for each member, so we can kind of figure out how many groups we will need to plan for.  Also post if you are willing to sweep or lead so we can get a list for that as well.

Those of you that have been around awhile please chime in if I missed anything.

Looking forward to this 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, durk said:

I would tell you medium-fast and fast are probably underestimated here. 

Probably a statement people should really think about. Speaking from experience many moons ago when I first started riding in our medium-fast and fast groups. If you are thinking about it you probably don't belong in the fast group. These people already know. Durk is downplaying his normal pace - dude can ride. Just be aware it can get quick BUT they will always wait for you so do not feel the need to try and play catch up.

I was so bad on my first fast ride they assigned me a sweeper (Thanks Jerry and Dave I still remember this day like the back of my hand. It's the day I decided to take this sport more seriously- I think I've gotten out of hand at this point.)

I still remember the days of watching Doc, Paul, Jerry, Jim, Uncle Punk, Tony, Dave, Derek, etc just disappearing into the distance :lol:. They made me better.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

I may not make this, which makes me sad. I will probably be in Vegas that day for the Snoop Dog/Ice Cube concert.

I guess I can allow it. I have to say every time I hear about your music concert selections I shake my head. Never would’ve picked gangster rap for you. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, durk said:

I guess I can allow it. I have to say every time I hear about your music concert selections I shake my head. Never would’ve picked gangster rap for you. 

The Black people at work made me an honorary Black person.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Pauly said:

Is this going down? 

Yes, my plan is to ride this route even if I end up riding it solo. The only thing that will stop me is if it’s raining. 

• Upvote 2

I have a 4 day Deals Gap area Moto, ride & camp commitment scheduled the Iron Horse Lodge .😪

If weather down south, TN./NC. causes a cancellation I will show up for this "Blitzkrieg Bop"🤓

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, B-Mac said:

I have a 4 day Deals Gap area Moto, ride & camp commitment scheduled the Iron Horse Lodge .😪

If weather down south, TN./NC. causes a cancellation I will show up for this "Blitzkrieg Bop"🤓

Totally understand. If I had a choice between Deals and SEO I’d choose Deals as well.  I’m sure we’ll meet up a time or 2 this summer. 

9 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

I plan on at least coming to the meetup. Not sure if I’ll ride the route though, might make a little dual sport ride instead.

Be great to see you again. 

1 hour ago, max power said:

In other news, I didn’t know MapQuest was still around

I like it because I can designate the route I want. Then it will speak the directions to me through my phone as well as I can see the route on my phone as I ride. I know it’s not as popular with cool young hip cats like you 😆. It’d be awesome to ride with you again. 

20 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Awesome, hopefully weather clears up as well. I am going to try and make it as well. Weekend off done, just need to tie up work and leave early enough Friday, will likely trailer there due to time constraints. Hopefully get to meet and ride with a lot of you chronic addicts. 😄

Doc it’d be epic if you showed up. I’m hoping the weather straightens around. I’ve only been out like once this year. The weather has not cooperated much around here.

On 4/30/2022 at 12:32 PM, durk said:

I like it because I can designate the route I want. Then it will speak the directions to me through my phone as well as I can see the route on my phone as I ride. I know it’s not as popular with cool young hip cats like you 😆. It’d be awesome to ride with you again. 

Shit Bubby, I’m not cool young or hip. 
i’ll check out MapQuest cause I’m always looking for a good routing app

• Upvote 1