Spring Ride May 14, 2022

durk

Thanks to all that showed up today. This ride was the first time I’ve ever seen a ride grow as the day approached. Usually you start with 15 guys saying they will show and only have 4-5 show on the day of the ride. Originally we started with 5 guys saying they were going to ride and had like 15 show up today at the meet spot. I had a great time with riding with all those that rolled with me. @NinjaDoc I can’t believe you traveled as far as you did to meet up with us. It was great to see you again. 

@Grokked sorry you went down but I’m glad you’re going to be okay. Keep us posted. 

@marlboro man thanks for being willing to grab his bike. OR peeps are awesome.

• Upvote 2

What a fun, exhausting, frustrating day.

My typical first ride of the year is a solo run to the bucket and back. Nice and short. I can ride long miles in a day but probably shouldn't do it on the first ride of the season. 

I froze getting to the meeting spot, even bought a sweatshirt at the dollar general by the meet spot to get warm.

What a great turnout and wonderful group of people. The amount of knowledge and experience of the group is rewarding to participate in. 

Great route with a big group riding together. 

Seeing the ark of @Ninjadoc riding experience is amazing. The first time I met him I ended up following him as the group seep rider kinda bored since he lacked any real riding experience. My how times have changed! He is now firmly planted in the fast rider category. It must be rewarding for him to work hard at the hobby and feel the accomplishment of being highly skilled at it.

I feel badly for the guy that went down especially that far from home. Here's to a speedy recovery.

The locals couldn't have been more helpful and kind, even the highway patrolman was human. 

Lunch, really, lunch is something we're doing now?

I became exhausted and uncomfortable by the time we reached Marietta. When when it started to intermittently rain around Barnesville I decided to put my phone in my tankbag to protect it. It wasn't a planned stop and I was in the middle of the group which fucks up the lead guys and confuses the guys behind. I see a gas station and turn my signal on while heading into the parking lot, check my mirrors to see the guys behind me and rode right into a curb along the road before the actual parking lot started. Not sure how fast I was going but I dumped the bike going slowly with some minor damage. More embarrassing than anything plus I expect that the minor damage will be BMW expensive. When 800 crossed 70 I rode the highway the rest of the way home some of it in the hardest rain I've ever been in. 

@Durk did a great job routing, adjusting to situations and leading with a fast safe pace.

When are we doing this again?

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

What a fun, exhausting, frustrating day.

My typical first ride of the year is a solo run to the bucket and back. Nice and short. I can ride long miles in a day but probably shouldn't do it on the first ride of the season. 

I froze getting to the meeting spot, even bought a sweatshirt at the dollar general by the meet spot to get warm.

What a great turnout and wonderful group of people. The amount of knowledge and experience of the group is rewarding to participate in. 

Great route with a big group riding together. 

Seeing the ark of @Ninjadoc riding experience is amazing. The first time I met him I ended up following him as the group seep rider kinda bored since he lacked any real riding experience. My how times have changed! He is now firmly planted in the fast rider category. It must be rewarding for him to work hard at the hobby and feel the accomplishment of being highly skilled at it.

I feel badly for the guy that went down especially that far from home. Here's to a speedy recovery.

The locals couldn't have been more helpful and kind, even the highway patrolman was human. 

Lunch, really, lunch is something we're doing now?

I became exhausted and uncomfortable by the time we reached Marietta. When when it started to intermittently rain around Barnesville I decided to put my phone in my tankbag to protect it. It wasn't a planned stop and I was in the middle of the group which fucks up the lead guys and confuses the guys behind. I see a gas station and turn my signal on while heading into the parking lot, check my mirrors to see the guys behind me and rode right into a curb along the road before the actual parking lot started. Not sure how fast I was going but I dumped the bike going slowly with some minor damage. More embarrassing than anything plus I expect that the minor damage will be BMW expensive. When 800 crossed 70 I rode the highway the rest of the way home some of it in the hardest rain I've ever been in. 

@Durk did a great job routing, adjusting to situations and leading with a fast safe pace.

When are we doing this again?

I almost pulled to the side and asked you what you wanted. Wish I would have, probably would have saved you the tip over. I will for sure ride again this summer and more than likely post up since a lot of you seem to be interested. I just don’t know how soon that will be. My youngest daughter is graduating this year and we have lots of family members as well that have graduation parties to attend. It will probably be easier for me to get out on a weekday than it will be a weekend. Thanks for your kind words Todd and for blowing my doors off down 83 as your drug Nivin behind you. I hung for a little while but nearly went left of center at one point and figured that was my sign to dial it back.

You had nothing to do with my tipover. You were doing exactly what you should have been doing. I was doing something unexpected on a group ride by pulling over in the middle of a ride and I knew it was breaking protocol. That is why I was looking behind me to make sure that the guys behind noticed my turn signal. It was a dumb move made in exhaustion and being uncomfortable. 

I like to whoop it up on that section and 83. When I went to the front of the line at that stop and asked if anyone wanted to run Doc was the last person I expected to want to go. I hadn't rode with him since he found all that speed. I laughed the whole time because the moment was so cool knowing where he started and stuck with it. He was right on my ass the couple of miles we ran.

• Upvote 1

Some sleep and food, ready to type again. 

first off @durk so awesome for you to take the initiative to post the ride and put this together. And it seems like your not jinxed like me or Derek and granted with great weather when every where else around  it was raining. And my friend that connie fits you like a glove and you ride it so well and fast. It was perfect pace and smoooooooth. It could use more dampening and preload in rear shock if you have that option. 

it was fantastic to meet everyone. It felt like coming home to a family dinner without the dysfunctional component, well May be some 😄 all the familiar faces and meeting some new ones. These days over in NC as well I just go out and ride for 2 days all mountain roads and back but this one was way longer but so much more satisfying to have a goal to meet y'all. I wish I could have finished the ride but that would have been the death of me, good thing I split of when I did. 

next one I plan to take an extra day and finish the ride. Or better you guys join me for the WV loop on my way down or the way up. I took all back roads 16 mainly up and  back as well through Virginia 33. Beautiful. (Ps: if you haven't done wv 31 do it ) 

@Uncle Punki still clearly remember it as yesterday the first ride I think like 14 yrs ago or so. That was my second ever ride in US (the first ever one I low sided 🤣) still didn't know how to ride these big cc bike. You patiently waited and swept the whole way. I was feeling very guilty ruining you ride and asked you to go have fun multiple times. You were the one who's told me don't fear revving the sport bike engine to higher rpm. Till then I used to ride like in Indian mentality highest gear lowest rev more mpg 😄😄 since that day I haven't seen any rpm below 10 lol And yesterday, you pulled a fast one, literally came with Santa Claus beard and all mature and gentlemanly. I was thinking you changed, if not would never have chased you on tour favorite playground of 83 hahah but it turned out really really fun my friend, you still go like a mad man. I am pretty sure my bike flew for a bit going triple digit on one of those bumps 🤯, I could not keep that intensity going on the last fishy section with uneven pavement right on the corners but felt so good to see you just glide on that without one second of hesitation 👍🏽 Sorry to hear about the oopsy check eBay for parts, XR always shows up. The naked bike and those speeds is really crazy, I have a sore spot on the chin where the chin bar was pressed against from all the wind blast. 

@Grokked so sorry to hear this news, hopefully you heal up soon. Unfortunate and off course Joel is the right person with the great helping mind, especially southern Ohio is his region of reign. 👍🏽

@Pauly hope to meet you soon somewhere in the mountains my friend. Didn't get to talk much at all. @Skinny Rick we will keep talking about how to set up our bike. If you haven't done so far, make sure you set the preload right using the bmw tool. Transforms the bike. 

uploaded bunch of pics to the album, I set our early morning to do some  back roads and ended up in Muskie for the quintessential picture  

will definitely be doing this loops again, 3 days and no rain , a better seat and windscreen, it will be perfect. Some amazing roads. Don't know why I love 78 so much, it's the banking I guess, to just go through the whole road in 5-6 gear full throttle and not fly off the corner since the banking is so high is a rarity among roads in NC. 

B1D03005-6CD0-449D-8275-BE5EEA0C9CB3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It rained  or wet pavement on almost 50% of my journey. But the rest of the 50% made up for the fun and time lost on the other sections 😄 I love this bike, this will be a keeper for some time, going to spend coins for mods. Interesting how the crazy mind works, I had the XR and GSA which is build for trips like these and I didn't like them as much as this little bike which was not meant for such a trip at all. 

285C1A13-D33A-4050-9E4F-897A0A04DC52.jpeg

C3D22D27-0431-43A1-8EA3-188F37C6C272.jpeg

8666E8D6-0A19-4F04-8B36-08603C5BE8CC.jpeg

DF0265C8-6D12-407E-AA54-E805F7F79697.jpeg

C303FF63-AB95-4A3B-8155-DC621D6F14B4.jpeg

AC2BB7AE-DC51-430B-BB31-0BAA4EC6AF85.jpeg

9B10A762-FB6F-424E-A74A-194F07826060.jpeg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NinjaDoc said:

And yesterday, you pulled a fast one, literally came with Santa Claus beard and all mature and gentlemanly. I was thinking you changed, if not would never have chased you on your favorite playground of 83

Listen here you little whippersnapper, that's the second time this weekend you've tried to call me an old man, how about we leave that to father time.

I did notice you backed off a little bit when the road got a little rough, I was concerned about you when that happened. I don't have to worry about the road being rough riding the far superior XR. You should try one they make great touring bikes.

Paulie gets to post extra bonus great adventure pictures because he has the perfect bike. Takes a real man to get rid of a bike like that or an insane one.

I dawned on me sometime Sunday with a clear head that I was having other issues Saturday on the ride.

At some point I was really fatigued and uncomfortable, so I just wanted to get away from it by riding home as directly as possible by leaving the group. I know all of the roads down there, where they are at and where they lead to but I made a stupid suggestion on how I thought I could get home faster. You guys rightfully corrected me on my lack of logic but after the fact I realize that I never would have made that mistake without some amount of brain fog.

Doc may be right maybe I am getting old and need to ramp up to enduring the heat and long saddle time.

13 minutes ago, Grokked said:

Made it home Sunday late afternoon.  Pain is manageable as the doctors prescribed all the good pills.  Feeling my ribs move around is probably the most unpleasant part of the aftermath.  Happy to see that the Goot-zie looks about 97% ok... they are characterful bikes, and now that one has a bit more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  Thanks for the help everyone, and Joel in particular.  I have every intention of resuming two-wheeled therapy sessions by August.

Glad you’re doing okay and have plans to return to 2 wheels. 

50 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Goldwing.

Yep. I am very excited to hear Amanda talk about ordering riding gear, but I will miss my BMW if/when she decides she's ready to ride again. 

I'll take the FOIA model, please. 

bf62334eabca16362b6dbb8500b60b4d.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 12:07 PM, Grokked said:

Made it home Sunday late afternoon.  Pain is manageable as the doctors prescribed all the good pills.  Feeling my ribs move around is probably the most unpleasant part of the aftermath.  Happy to see that the Goot-zie looks about 97% ok... they are characterful bikes, and now that one has a bit more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  Thanks for the help everyone, and Joel in particular.  I have every intention of resuming two-wheeled therapy sessions by August.

No problem . Looks like You got hurt more than the odd Moto greezy italian That walked away with nothing but lower Fairing & saddlebag scratches & windshield  Which I find that be amazing But I i never seen bike good before it was wrecked I’m just glad I could  help I’ve been in Similar situation’s before !

Edited by marlboro man
  • Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/16/2022 at 10:49 AM, TimTheAzn said:

Glad all of you were able to get together and there were pics that I could live vicariously through. 

Missed seeing you Timmy, I really wish you had a street legal bike as well. So also missed the ever present @hellmutt and @snot 

tim when will you guys be coming to NC track days again? 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

Missed seeing you Timmy, I really wish you had a street legal bike as well. So also missed the ever present @hellmutt and @snot 

tim when will you guys be coming to NC track days again? 

We were down there earlier this year for a staff-only event. I wanted to hit you up but wasnt open to the public. Will let you know if we venture back down there again.

I am not ready for a Goldwing yet. A least I don't think so. Would have to ride one first. Maybe

@NinjaDoc what is the new bikes youtube channel name? Last I saw you were Super Scalpel with a Hayabusa as the final posted video. Is it possible that you've gone nine months without posting a video?

Is Cuban Rider as fast as he looks in all of his videos? The guys talking about the XR on the ADV board swear that he is the fastest thing on two wheels. He looks fast as hell in his videos plus he is going fast enough to grind hard parts. I've never gone fast enough to grind anything so I'm guessing that he is actually very fast.

3 hours ago, Uncle Punk said:

I am not ready for a Goldwing yet. A least I don't think so. Would have to ride one first. Maybe

@NinjaDoc what is the new bikes youtube channel name? Last I saw you were Super Scalpel with a Hayabusa as the final posted video. Is it possible that you've gone nine months without posting a video?

Is Cuban Rider as fast as he looks in all of his videos? The guys talking about the XR on the ADV board swear that he is the fastest thing on two wheels. He looks fast as hell in his videos plus he is going fast enough to grind hard parts. I've never gone fast enough to grind anything so I'm guessing that he is actually very fast.

Yes haven't posted anything :(  didn't ride for a long time then back again. Yes that dude is faaaast. Scraping everything, flash through the gap, also running advanced in track days with dedicated sports bike with that XR. he is unofficial representation of sporty nature of XR. 😄