Welp, after 57+ years of riding....

Bubba

....I officially became a statistic Tuesday night. Heading home from visiting a friend's house on my "new-to-me" BMW R1200RS, a mouth-breather pulled out in front of me. I had the first street-related crash in my street history. Headed west on a 4-lane suburban road in the curb lane, crested a small rise and saw a parked car in my lane. Moved to the center lane and as I passed the parked car, I caught a flash of back-up lights from a driveway on the right. Moved to left wheel track and suddenly realized that Lashondra was backing out into the street at what I can only describe as warp speed, prolly 15-20 MPH--no clue what she was thinking.  Must have thought the 'R' stood for race!!!

I did an emergency swerve but she never even slowed down or looked, backing across 2 lanes of traffic and caught me right behind the engine. Bike kicked sideways and I did my best Superman impression, just as if the bike had high-sided me. Both me and the bike ended up in the oncoming lane. Luckily, I didn't get run over by opposing traffic but the bike is a total loss and I spent 1 day in the trauma unit of UC Hospital. 6 busted ribs and a shattered collarbone and lots of soft tissue trauma, mostly right lung and liver. Did dodge the bullet of having a chest tube inserted but in so much pain today that the Oxy doesn't even help much.

Home now but moving like an old, mostly dead guy. To top it off, she is uninsured (of course) and I don't carry collision on my toys so I'm likely gonna eat an $8000 loss which will prolly be inconsequential compared to the medical. The thing I'm most pissed at is that, even though I'd only spent a little less than a year with Beemer, I was beginning to believe that after 55 years of searching for THE ONE BIKE THAT DOES IT ALL WELL, I thought this might be the Holy Grail.

Be off the streets for at least a month to 6 weeks, maybe longer depending on how much time it takes for the soft tissue injuries to resolve. The other good thing is that I could be the poster boy for ATGATT, as other than the torso injuries, I don't have another scratch or bruise on me. Legs, knees, arms, hands, head are 100% unscathed, which is truly amazing given how hard the hit was. I'll need a new helmet (was due for one anyway!) the pants and jacket are a bit ratty but overall, a good outcome.

Stay safe, keep the shiny side up, and be mindful of the idiots.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pauly said:

Jesus.. I am sorry to read this, but am absolutely happy to know you're well enough to have typed it. I can't do much from Akron, but if you need anything.. say the word. 

Thx Pauly!  Not much to be done 'cept for figuring out what to do with the Beemer.  A bud picked it up from the tow lot to save storage fees and it's sitting around the corner of the house.  Haven't been outside to peek at what's left under the tarp but pics my bud took don't look promising.  Don't think even Racer's Edge is gonna be interested in this pile of junk. 😔

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

Oh man, glad it is going to get better.

You can file a simple form with the State. They will suspend her license until she sets up a payment system with you and sticks to it. You want the Security claim section. I have used it, it worked.

But make sure there isn't longer term issues, maybe lawyer up.

https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/susp-ins-noncomply.aspx

Thx Jim, but I doubt even the State of Ohio can get blood from a stone.  Someone who drives without insurance will likely simply drive without a license if they suspend.  I will look into it but seriously doubt there's anything to recover from her.

3 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Thx Jim, but I doubt even the State of Ohio can get blood from a stone.  Someone who drives without insurance will likely simply drive without a license if they suspend.  I will look into it but seriously doubt there's anything to recover from her.

It is a lesson she needs to learn, I agree with Tonik. She is lucky you are "ok". 

But, you do what is best for you. 

I pray you have a speedy recovery and get back on the street soon.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bubba said:

I get what you are saying. I would only add this....her irresponsibility cost you. Get her suspended, yes she will drive again...and when she harms the next person they will have the history on her to drop a hammer.

It is your civic duty to fuck with her! 🤣

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I get what you are saying. I would only add this....her irresponsibility cost you. Get her suspended, yes she will drive again...and when she harms the next person they will have the history on her to drop a hammer.

This logic is quite sound. 

Really sorry to hear this, but glad you're doing as well as you are.  I say go after her as well.  At least without anymore money out of your pocket if possible.  How many times can a person get away with this before suffering the consequences?   

• Beer 1

15 hours ago, Tonik said:

This. Fuck this person to the fullest extent.

I'd probably also get a lawyer and see what else I could extract from that fuckstick.

Edited by TimTheAzn

20 hours ago, Tonik said:

They will suspend her license until she sets up a payment system with you and sticks to it.  But make sure there isn't longer term issues, maybe lawyer up.

17 hours ago, Tonik said:

3 hours ago, Ron505 said:

I say go after her as well.

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Fuck this person to the fullest extent.  I'd probably also get a lawyer and see what else I could extract from that fuckstick.

Believe me, I fully understand the sentiments you're all voicing but I doubt that without insurance and zero monetary assets (Section 8 apartment dweller) any lawyer is gonna step up on a contingency basis.  Yup...sux balls.  No...not fair.  As with most systems of rules and law, it tends to penalize the righteous rule follower and reward those who exist outside of the norm.

As a follow-up to the advice to find a lawyer, I had to laugh as no more than 12 hours post-crash while I was still lying in the trauma unit, my phone lit up with a dozen or more texts from the local ambulance chasers offering "to get me ALL THE MONEY I DESERVE" for my accident.  I might entertain the thought of talking to a motorcycle-specific attorney if anyone has a personal reco.

Thx! 

Glad to hear you're ok. I've ridden just a couple of times (others bikes) but as a "cager" I am ALWAYS looking for anything and anyone moving be it on foot, 2 wheels, 3, or 4...or more. 

The very thing that has prevented me from getting my own bike for years has been other idiots. Tonight on the way home in my truck my wife and I had a ditzy blonde back out of a drive right in front of us. Luckily I was paying attn and not on  my phone or anything so I slowed then eventually came to a stop as she put it in drive sitting crooked in the middle of the road and was just chatting with her 2 male passengers or something. It wasn't until I gave a couple of short, polite, honks, that she even saw me. She was in some tiny hatchback. I was in a 2019 Colorado. She had no idea I existed until I hit the horn. 

THAT is why I'm hesitant to ride. 

Again, glad you're well enough to tell the tale.

• Beer 1

16 hours ago, motocat12 said:

Small claims up to 6k is like $25 to file. Might win by default.

She was cited so clearly at fault.  However, it appears she has no license or insurance and 99.9% certain she has 0 assets (area pf Section 8 housing apts) to confiscate.  Believe I'd be unlikely to get my $25 filing fee back.

On 7/16/2022 at 2:39 PM, Pauly said:

My lawyer told me I was basically SOL for recovering anything from the welfare queen that ran us over. Pretty sure he'd tell you the same thing. 

So how does one hold these low-lifes accountable? 

4 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

So how does one hold these low-lifes accountable? 

You don't. We just accept the fact that life isn't fair and courtroom justice is for daytime television. Jim's link doesn't apply to my case, as she had the basic coverage required by law. 

4 hours ago, motocat12 said:

Violent crime. Pretty sure driving like a self-absorbed piece of human trash without insurance doesn't apply. 

Edited by Pauly

48 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

A reminder, According to the Insurance Information Institute, more than 13% of all drivers in Ohio are uninsured

Betting that since the onset of COVID--and the unraveling of basic societal behavior norms--it's far higher, prolly approaching 30-40%.  Worse yet in the west and SW and FL.  Personal accountability has been thrown out the window as a result of the progressive policies being pushed across the nation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2