2018 BMW R1200 GSA $18k

Pauly

20600 miles. Runs 100%. Mechanically 100%.

Premium build with every option available. Dynamic ESA, Auto Ride Height, with self-leveling sag, Ride Modes Pro, 6" full color TFT display, NAV 5 Garmin installed, Shift Assist Pro, ABS Pro (cornering ABS), heated grips, cruise control, Keyless Ride, LED headlight/tail light, LED Nano auxiliary lights, BMW aluminum panniers and trunk. Panniers come with Kathy's Designs Cordura liners. All locks keyed to match bike, TPMS. 

Good tires, plus a spare set. All original parts come with the bike, (saddles, windshield, foot pegs). Touratech Sport Saddle (lowest height because I am vertically challenged). Touratech Medium and Large (installed) windscreens. Touratech waterproof dual-USB outlet. Givi handguard extenders, (not installed). Akrapovic Titanium/Carbon slip on.

Slight damage to left pannier from a gravel drive tip over. Closes and functions as it should. Some minor scratches to the left handguard from the same tio over. Nothing is broken. Sometimes GSAs fall down. 

This is easily the finest motorcycle I have ever ridden. It does everything very well. Fast, comfortable, excellent weather protection, perfect suspension, incredible brakes, every creature comfort. 

20220721_173125.jpg

20220721_173132.jpg

20220721_173148.jpg

20220721_173046.jpg

20220721_173056.jpg

20220721_173100.jpg

20220721_173114.jpg

20220721_173120.jpg

Edited by Pauly
  • Upvote 1

On 7/31/2022 at 1:34 PM, Bubba said:

Any idea what the "real" weight is on this beast with all the extra guards, bags, rack mounts?

The Adventure comes from BMW with all of the pannier racks pre-installed. You just have to buy the aluminum boxes, which aren't heavy by themselves. The only extra guards it has are the ones pictured below. They're just reinforcement pieces that attach at the frame and tie into the OEM cage and stainless steel 25mm tubing doesn't weigh that much. Other than the PivotPegs and USB port and saddle, it's basically in stock trim. 

20200814_161109.jpg

20200814_161116.jpg

Almost forgot... I have a brand new set of Hyperpro progressive springs that are still in the packaging. Link listed below. (factory ride height)

https://touratech-usa.com/store/Touratech-Progressive-Spring-Kit-BMW-R1200GS-Adventure-Water-Cooled

Also, BMW replaced the wheels at the 4400 miles due to several spokes being loose when I yanked the wheels to have new tires installed. I took them to Sills in Cleveland and they ordered new ones without hesitation. I have had the replacement wheels inspected several times by BMW and they've been fine every time. They just installed these tires a few weeks ago and said the spokes are fine on both wheels. It hasn't been an issue since they were replaced by BMW in 2020, 16k miles ago. 

https://riders.drivemag.com/news/bmw-r1200gs-loose-spokes-issue-explained/

Edited by Pauly

I can see those guards are necessary if you're gonna use the GS for anything more than a Starbucks run.  I proved just how vulnerable the jugs are when I crashed my RS three weeks ago.

BMW Crash 1.jpeg

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Out of curiosity, is your year subject to the newest recall for the rear drive?

https://www.rideapart.com/news/600819/bmw-gs-cardan-shaft-recall/

It's not a recall and I had not planned on having it inspected by a dealership because I inspect my final drive every spring. I drain the fluid, drop the differential, remove the driveshaft, clean and lubricate the splines and then reassemble. I then refill the final drive with 180mL of synthetic gear lube via a graduated fill bottle. I have installed a breather tube that runs up the swing arm and into the subframe to keep water from entering the hollow swingarm. I also installed an upgraded magnetic, stainless steel drain plug to catch and hold any shavings or debris. 

The final drive of my bike is not even remotely a concern for me, but I am not opposed to dropping it off at a dealership to get a stamp of approval from a certified BMW mechanic. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/2/2022 at 12:14 PM, Bubba said:

I can see those guards are necessary if you're gonna use the GS for anything more than a Starbucks run.  I proved just how vulnerable the jugs are when I crashed my RS three weeks ago.

BMW Crash 1.jpeg

You have me convinced. I just bought crash bars for my RS not five minutes ago. 

• Beer 1

A personal note about BMW driveshaft maintenance... I would do the same thing for a Goldwing drive shaft, minus the extended breather tube. BMW is basically admitting that their lack of required service for driveshaft splines is an error. Any final drive with a splined coupler needs periodic maintenance. It's a point of friction, which is why they make moly spline lube. I clearly lie well inside the lines of overkill in terms of my service intervals, but it's also why I can say I am not remotely concerned about this "recall". 

No way am I letting somebody I do not know, have never worked beside, nor seen use a power tool, get anywhere near my bike with a drill, tap and die. Not a snowball's chance in hell is that ever happening. I will just keep doing what I do and will leave that nightmare scenario to the yuppies that can't service their own machines. 

On 7/31/2022 at 2:34 PM, Bubba said:

Any idea what the "real" weight is on this beast with all the extra guards, bags, rack mounts?

It disappears as soon as you get over 10mph. My short self was able to ride this without too much trouble with the short person seat installed. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:13 PM, Pauly said:

You have me convinced. I just bought crash bars for my RS not five minutes ago. 

Pauly, just to show you how stupid I am, I'm already searching for another RS.  Got a link to the bars you purchased?  BMW part or aftermarket?

Edited by Bubba

1 hour ago, Bubba said:

Pauly, just to show you how stupid I am, I'm already searching for another RS.  Got a link to the bars you purchased?  BMW part or aftermarket?

That is hardly stupid. I was looking on CycleTrader for you the other day. I have only ridden mine about 2000 miles and it's already replacing my GSA. 

I bought them from SierraBMW. They are BMW bars and they're $500 for the set. I did cancel my order and decided to go a different route. I would have to remove the engine spoilers on my bike to use the BMW cages. My vanity took the wheel after I made that discovery. 

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/collections/bmw-r1200rs-wc-16-on/products/bmw-r1200rs-wc-16-on-r-wc-15-on-engine-protection-bar-set

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

That is hardly stupid.

Hmmm.  Not what the missus said.  Of course, I deserved that comment because I asked her what she thought.  She can be brutally honest, but at least I always know where I stand. 🤣

I pulled the trigger on an '18 Premium Edition RS for sale in St Louis at Gateway BMW.  More cubic zirconium than I was looking to spend but a clean low mileage bike that they're gonna put new tires on and perform the 6K mile service before it goes out the door.  Have to tap a bud to do a drive-n-ride with me to get it home, but cheaper than having it shipped.  I should be good for a 10-hour RT in the truck pretty soon.

https://www.gatewaybmw.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=12540182&p=2&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

Edited by Bubba
  • Upvote 1

Nice. 2018 will have the updated quick shifter package. You should notice right away that it functions better than the 2016. 

It's sharp. Sucks that you had to buy it, but congrats nonetheless. 

• Beer 1

14 hours ago, Pauly said:

Nice. 2018 will have the updated quick shifter package. You should notice right away that it functions better than the 2016.

Thx for the info.  I never used the quick shift much--too many years of habit pulling in the clutch lever.  Plus, I'm always a bit leery of technology that gets "pushed down" from the race environment to the street.  Race teams think nothing of rebuilding trannys and gear dogs and final drives several times a season, but I sure as hell don't want to do that to my street ride every 15-20K miles.  The times I did play around with it, I didn't think it was particularly glitchy, but the ratio spread from 1>2 and 2>3 were a bit large and made for an abrupt gear change.  The rest of the shifts from 3-4-5-6 were fine and pretty smooth transitions.  Makes me wonder if they changed the lower gear ratios to minimize the hit, or possibly lengthened the spark cut-off during the transition to allow the engine to match revs before relighting.

18 hours ago, Pauly said:

I bought them from SierraBMW. They are BMW bars and they're $500 for the set. I did cancel my order and decided to go a different route. I would have to remove the engine spoilers on my bike to use the BMW cages.

Nice looking set--looks like SS?  I think I'm gonna go with the Wunderlich bars, as they allow retention of the engine spoilers and are about as easy an install as you can ask for when it comes to motorcycle farkeling.  I think a set in red is what the doctor ordered.

https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/BMW_R1200_GS_R1200_R_R1200_RS_Sport_Engine_Bars

• Upvote 1

Not sure if they're stainless or electroless nickle plated. I would have to test them with a magnet. 

I installed my Clearwater Darlas onto the RS, so the Wunderlich bars are off the table for me, as well. 

20220806_191506.thumb.jpg.de44fc8a248cabf7ae106ace7e0de8cd.jpg

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Pauly said:

Not sure if they're stainless or electroless nickle plated. I would have to test them with a magnet. 

I installed my Clearwater Darlas onto the RS, so the Wunderlich bars are off the table for me, as well. 

20220806_191506.thumb.jpg.de44fc8a248cabf7ae106ace7e0de8cd.jpg

That thing looks delightfully sporty.

• Upvote 1

• Pauly locked this topic