I'm Retired!

MSerfozo

2 hours ago, MSerfozo said:

Last Friday was my last day of employment. 

Welcome to the good life. Start looking for larger shirts, then pants and riding gear. Your body is about to change. Plus side, WEEKDAY RIDING!!!!

See you this fall. B.

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2022 at 6:59 PM, Pauly said:

Congratulations! 

I was just in Holland, MI two weeks ago. Thanks for saying "hi"... dick. :(

If I'd known you were in town, I'd have invited you over to my hotel for a bourbon or four.  Thanks for letting me know you were there... dick.  😉

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2022 at 7:39 PM, B-Mac said:

Welcome to the good life. Start looking for larger shirts, then pants and riding gear. Your body is about to change. Plus side, WEEKDAY RIDING!!!!

See you this fall. B.

Hopefully, I'll be wearing SMALLER size clothes soon.  I have to lose the weight I put on during this road trip.  By bike is slow enough without having to haul my fatter ass around.

Looking forward to meeting up with you when I'm back on the road, Brian.

• Upvote 1

Oh shit!  I haven't been gone two weeks and they're calling me to come back as a consultant.

Does anybody know how much it should cost to hire a PLC Controls Engineer with 45 years experience to teach training classes to newbs? 

• Beer 1

So, as a consultant you would be 1099 I assume. So you have to pay both half's of social security. Also, what you earn will be deducted from your social security. There are rules on that.....check into it. I think it only hits the month you get paid by them.

I am basing my answer on the Google range of 85 to 125 for that job.

Look at your old salary and turn it into an hourly rate. Double it and round up to the next 100. Then keep rounding up to a minimum of 200 per hour. 250 sounds better to me.

And they pay you for prep time to build the class. And your travel time. 

And you tell them what days. None of this Monday, Wednesday, Friday crap. It's days in a row so your time off isn't all chopped up.

Otherwise, tell them they can blow you.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

I like the way you think, Tonik.

I did think of doing MTW so my week isn't all broken up.

I know all about both halves of FICA.  I ran a Subchapter S Corp for a while back before LLCs were a thing.  No liability risk in teaching so a Sole Proprietorship will work for this.

I'm not planning to draw SS until I'm 70 so I don't have to worry about taxes on that.  It should actually raise my SS benefit because '22 will factor in at a higher gross.

Gonna talk to the guy in charge of contracting me today.  He's a friend so I'll try to see if he'll give me a feel for what cost they'll tolerate.

• Beer 2