Trim or walls first

Tonik

What's first.  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Trim or walls

So was chatting with my mom. She asked how the painting was going, said I was almost done with the second coat on the trim. She was...

Oh, so almost done.

No, I still have to paint the walls 

Dumbass, you do the trim last.

I have always done trim first. I can't imagine it any other way. I googled it and it seems it is a big debate.

So, let's have a poll.

Her husband was listening. He said we were both stupid, you should hire someone. He is not wrong.

I like how your mom calls you "dumbass".  I guess she was the first to know.🤔

As far as the paint, I'd say do the darker color first.  Either way, you'll have to cut in with the other color.  If you're doing cut in with the lighter color, you'll be able to wipe it off easier when you get sloppy.

• Upvote 2

Paint the wall first. 

Once that dries, place painters tape. 

Then cover painters tape with another round of the wall paint. 

Once that dries... trim over as haphazardly as you wish, staying away from the far edge. 

Once THAT dries... remove the painters tape and marvel at your perfectly trimmed barn. 

THEN... go back inside your house, take a look around, and motherfuck the shit out of whomever painted it last. 

Edited by Pauly

I painted professionally during summers in college. Trim means two things. One is trim the walls first prior to rolling. Always done. The other is the trim woodwork adjacent to the painted walls. It never mattered to me which was done first, unless I could see some obvious reason to do one before the other. A typical reason would be if the wall color and the trim color were different, then would do the wall first, because of possible spatter on the trim below. So yes, mostly did walls first, wood trim below done later, if a difference in paint. Exception is both the same color, then trim the walls for the roller and the adjacent trim all at the same time, with the same paint. edit: I can't even remember ever using painter's tape. We rarely used anything smaller than a 4 inch brush and an 18 inch roller. Bathrooms used 9 or 12 inch roller. Speed counts.

Edited by ReconRat