Is anybody else here a tool nerd?

MSerfozo

I am!  When I see the perfect tool for some job, I just obsess over it until I finally buy it.  I had to have Vessel crosshead screwdrivers, Knipex Cobra Pliers, Wera Kraftform insulated electricians screwdrivers (including 2 sizes of PZ/S drivers for those electrical screws that have a combo cross and slotted head), and I just bought a soldering station that can run off my cordless tool batteries.  When I have an occasion to use these, I just marvel at how perfectly they do the job, even in my hands!

Yesterday I saw a 1000V insulated 10mm box end wrench from Germany.  I have to admit, I would completely geek out to work on bike or car battery terminals with this.

https://www.kctool.com/stahlwille-12161-vde-single-ended-ring-spanner-10-mm/

Does anybody else have some special tools that they just had to buy?

Edited by MSerfozo

Pretty sure I've got tools in the roller that I may not have used even once, but I steadfastly refuse to call myself a tool geek.

However, at an average of $45-$50 per wrench, I would think you'd be jonesin' for the entire set!!!

I'm guilty of occasionally seeing a tool or tools in the OMG gimme that department.....I definitely obsess until I just buy the thing.

Most recently I found some extra long box end wrenches from www.carnagetools.com

Bought 5 of them, they are quite exquisite......very nice for the tight spots...

Edited by mello dude

9 hours ago, Bubba said:

Pretty sure I've got tools in the roller that I may not have used even once, but I steadfastly refuse to call myself a tool geek.

However, at an average of $45-$50 per wrench, I would think you'd be jonesin' for the entire set!!!

I am jonesin' for the set.  The 10mm is probably just the gateway...  😅

Last spring I was working in Holland, MI and I saw one of my techs using this.  I asked where he bought it, and before the day was over, I had driven 25 MI to the Grand Rapids Home Depot and bought one.

It's perfect for the spring clamp on the fuel line behind my petcock when removing the fuel tank.

2022-10-08 08.28.38.jpg

17 hours ago, mello dude said:

I'm guilty of occasionally seeing a tool or tools in the OMG gimme that department.....I definitely obsess until I just buy the thing.

Most recently I found some extra long box end wrenches from www.carnagetools.com

Bought 5 of them, they are quite exquisite......very nice for the tight spots...

Oh yeah, those are nice.  They could climb up my list and I'll surely remember carnagetools.com.

7 minutes ago, max power said:

I have the vessel screwdriver and have bought them for hamfisted friends that seem to love to destroy JIS screws with a Phillips. Everyone should own a JIS screwdriver.  

I saw a thread on another forum where a guy was rebuilding a bike engine and there were Craftsman Phillips screwdrivers in the background of the photos.  I had Amazon send him a Vessel #2 before he had a chance to strip the heads of his screws.

My Vessel cross head driver will fit a screw so well that it can hang horizontally from the tip.

I work for a major tool manufacturer and got some pretty decent discounts before they sold off our division. I have many packages of unused tools, lots of redundancy and more power tools than I need. 

I have also bought and been bequeathed lots of specialty tools that barely ever get used but are nice to have when you need them. 

a pair of those long ass pliers would be nice. 

Edited by max power

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 1:05 AM, vf1000ride said:

I'm an aircraft mechanic for a living.  Here is my toolbox, you can assume (and would be correct) that there have been many purchases over the years on tools that have only one purpose and used very few times.  :)

toolbox.JPG

That’s a pretty nice starter set, what kind of aviation do you specialize in?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I seen this and had to have it.  Used it once in a drain though i wanted it for woking on bikes and cars. Got it on amazon.  Other mechanic channels on YouTube use them and like them. 2 cameras on it. Forward and sideways. Both illuminated also records video and takes pictures 

https://depstech.com/collections/video-endoscopes/products/endoscope-with-screen-ds500

Edited by serpentracer

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2022 at 12:36 AM, serpentracer said:

I seen this and had to have it.  Used it once in a drain though i wanted it for woking on bikes and cars. Got it on amazon.  Other mechanic channels on YouTube use them and like them. 2 cameras on it. Forward and sideways. Both illuminated also records video and takes pictures 

https://depstech.com/collections/video-endoscopes/products/endoscope-with-screen-ds500

I have one of their other models, with both views.  It's awesome for looking down into a cylinder and inspecting cylinder walls.  You can even angle it a bit and see the head gasket, many times.

I have a LOT of tools.

OK, not as sexy as an endoscope but these are pretty f'ing cool.  I didn't even know that 3° ratchets existed until last night.  I waited overnight to see if i could get over the desire to have these in my toolbox.  The want was still there this morning so i ordered them from Amazon this morning and they were delivered about an hour ago.

Sata is made by Apex tools in Taiwan.  They also make Gearwrench and Crescent.  

The ratchet mechanism is silky smooth on these and clicks 120 times per rev!  I can't believe they can sell them at this price.  They are also sold as Gearwrench XL120 but at 2X the price.

Polish is really nice and the handles look like Snap-On.  I can't wait to get out in the garage and use them.  The snap-ring on the front leads me to believe they can be disassembled to lube or rebuild, but I have no idea if kits will become available.

At $60 including tax, everybody needs a set of these!

https://www.amazon.com/SATA-Professional-Dual-Pawl-60-Tooth-Heavy-Duty/dp/B07V1ZRZ29/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2LDTOMMH1IDF8&keywords=sata+ratchet+3%2F8&qid=1673318993&sprefix=sata+rat%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-4

20230110_192355.jpg

20230110_191938.jpg

20230110_191405.jpg

Edited by MSerfozo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, MSerfozo said:

OK, not as sexy as an endoscope but these are pretty f'ing cool.  I didn't even know that 3° ratchets existed until last night.  I waited overnight to see if i could get over the desire to have these in my toolbox.  The want was still there this morning so i ordered them from Amazon this morning and they were delivered about an hour ago.

Sata is made by Apex tools in Taiwan.  They also make Gearwrench and Crescent.  

The ratchet mechanism is silky smooth on these and clicks 120 times per rev!  I can't believe they can sell them at this price.  They are also sold as Gearwrench XL120 but at 2X the price.

Polish is really nice and the handles look like Snap-On.  I can't wait to get out in the garage and use them.  The snap-ring on the front leads me to believe they can be disassembled to lube or rebuild, but I have no idea if kits will become available.

At $60 including tax, everybody needs a set of these!

https://www.amazon.com/SATA-Professional-Dual-Pawl-60-Tooth-Heavy-Duty/dp/B07V1ZRZ29/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2LDTOMMH1IDF8&keywords=sata+ratchet+3%2F8&qid=1673318993&sprefix=sata+rat%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-4

20230110_192355.jpg

20230110_191938.jpg

20230110_191405.jpg

Aw... dammit..... you made me order these! lol

• 8 months later...
On 10/16/2023 at 8:59 AM, MSerfozo said:

Ordered this last night.  I have 4 or 5 different sizes of their Cobra slip joint pliers and I'll never use Channel Locks again.

It's on sale at Amazon for $28 right now.

image.png.9084416d512723f1f33c78c2bcee9c6e.png

As someone who carries only one pair of pliers and a valve wrench at work, Knipex has really made me a believer. I carry a 10" adjustable Knipex cobra grip. Never going back to channel locks.

4 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

As someone who carries only one pair of pliers and a valve wrench at work, Knipex has really made me a believer. I carry a 10" adjustable Knipex cobra grip. Never going back to channel locks.

Knipex was all I would purchase for my field service team. Knipex Plier Wrench is also a good addition to the Cobra wrench.