I’m done with leading

durk

We stopped doing the group thing too. Helmutt was tired of leading and having issues with the size our group would end up with (12 on the last one). We weren't having fun anymore and it became stressful.

We will ride with small groups of people we know or have rode with before (and trust).

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/25/2022 at 12:08 PM, Pauly said:

Large group rides are overrated, but I definently enjoy rolling with the usual suspects that I know and trust. Crashing is never off the table, but it can be mitigated with competent riders. 

A failure I see more than anything is a lack of understanding between new riders and veteran riders on what constitutes a ride. While I firmly stake my flag in the soil of "personal accountability", some folks get in over their heads. The difference between riding a bike to work every day and riding a bike in the twisties is massive. It is not the same thing in the slightest to the average rider. 

I have a friend that has been riding for decades, but he commutes. When we hit the mountains he can't begin to stay on pace with the rest of us. He just doesn't have that skillset because it isn't how he rides. He can pilot a bike, but he has to do it at his own pace. Luckily, he's mature enough to recognize this and doesn't try to keep up. That plays a major role.. personal accountability and leaving ego at the house. 

This rings so true. I was almost always the least talented rider on any group ride with you guys and managed to stay in one piece because of it. I can really only think of two moments that I was truly on the edge of being over my head and luckily managed to recover both 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2022 at 12:08 PM, Pauly said:

Large group rides are overrated, but I definently enjoy rolling with the usual suspects that I know and trust. Crashing is never off the table, but it can be mitigated with competent riders. 

A failure I see more than anything is a lack of understanding between new riders and veteran riders on what constitutes a ride. While I firmly stake my flag in the soil of "personal accountability", some folks get in over their heads. The difference between riding a bike to work every day and riding a bike in the twisties is massive. It is not the same thing in the slightest to the average rider. 

I have a friend that has been riding for decades, but he commutes. When we hit the mountains he can't begin to stay on pace with the rest of us. He just doesn't have that skillset because it isn't how he rides. He can pilot a bike, but he has to do it at his own pace. Luckily, he's mature enough to recognize this and doesn't try to keep up. That plays a major role.. personal accountability and leaving ego at the house. 

There are few people that I'm willing to ride with anymore.  Fast isn't necessary, but a mindset that matches your skillset is required.

I prefer small groups where all are comfortable leading or following.  Sometimes I prefer to lead, sometimes I don't.

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...