2006 CBR1000RR Front Fork Aftermarket Cartridge Kits --- K-Tech vs RaceTech...Which would you choose?

OhioBob

Hi, hope you all are doing well.

I have a question about wheather I should go with K-Tech Suspension 25SSK RDS Cartridge Kit or RaceTech G2-R Cartridge Kit for my 2006 CBR1000RR front forks.

A couple months ago I purchased a used OEM rear shock from an Ebay seller. I know that was risky, but it worked out. Anyways, I sent it off to RaceTech to inspect/verify shock was in good working order then had them revalve, respring and rebuild the shock completely. I must say it looks like a brand new shock and can't wait to get it on the bike to try it out. RaceTech promises me that it is as good or better than any aftermarket rear shock I could have purchased, like Ohlins, Penske, etc. We shall see, but then again, I've never had the pleasure of Ohlins so I won't truly know. LOL

Reason I went this route is I no longer can find aftermarket rear shocks for my 2006 CBR1000RR. So, after speaking to RaceTech several months ago I went that route with an OEM rebuild.

Now on to my question about the front forks. I no longer can find aftermarket forks, like Ohlins for it. Honda doesn't even offer the OEM outer tube (upper portion of the front forks) any longer for my 2006 CBR1000RR. I can purchase the lower slides (lower portion of the front forks), but not the upper portion. Argh...I guess after a certain time you're supposed to either baby it as a garage queen or wreck it and toss it. Anyways...Argh.

So, I spoke to RaceTech and they would require me to send my forks to them to build their RaceTech G2-R drop-in cartridge kit for my make/model of bike. However, I'm extremely leary now that I know I no longer can replace the OEM outer tubes if they get damaged, likely in shipping.

I was hoping that RaceTech would just sell me the drop-in cartridge kit then I would have a professional install them in my stock (OEM) fork tubes (outer - uppers and slide - lowers). However, they don't have a kit available nor does it sound like they have the calculations on record to do such a thing without having my forks to measure and experiment to build the proper cartridge kit.

So, I was trying to figure out a way to safely ship them when I thought about going the Ebay route again with a spare set of used forks in good condition to ship to RaceTech. I thought about PVC pipe to protect them. Another idea was a rifle case, but I kept thinking I would have to pay to ship them my only forks off my bike, pay them to build the cartridge kit, pay them to professionally install the kit into my forks, pay them to ship them back to me, etc. It just seemed like a well laid plan gone awry. Just my luck.

Then I ran across K-Tech Suspension USA and spoke to Burch, the tech on staff and he said they could get their cartridge kit to me without shipping my forks to them. I assume because they've probably done it for many UK racers in the past with my make/model of bike.

I know RaceTech is USA and K-Tech is UK. I know that many "true" road racers in Europe (UK) that run K-Tech as either a cheaper alternative to Ohlins aftermarket forks or they just can't purchase Ohlins aftermarket forks any longer like my situation.

I'm leaning to toward K-Tech for obvious reasons above, but not sure how they compare to RaceTech.

And I'm sure it's OK to have a stock (OEM) rear shock rebuilt by RaceTech and run K-Tech front fork cartridge kits together? I mean I know another CBR1000RR rider who has an Ohlins rear shock with stock front forks.

So, what's your take on RaceTech vs K-Tech products?

Thanks in advance.

Keep on Keeping on.

OhioBob

Edited by OhioBob