Topspeed article.

HeavyDuty

This place seems to have past. I remember some good heated discussions before I took a health break. Just trying to get things fired up again. What a better way to do it then saying  Harleys are the greatest bike ever made.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

It has gotten very quiet here.

I'll play along.

I rented the top of the line Harley this spring and drove it 2 up for 1500 miles. It was a Road Glide. It sucked.

Hot as hell, poor wind protection and fuck was it top heavy. Seriously, I had to work at it to get it off the side stand. In most cases I had the wife lean to help. It was a dog performance wise compared my Goldwing.

The Nav was good though, very good.

Harley is the best at selling motorcycles, not the best at making them.

I noticed the article said "lifestyle" four times but not once did it use the word reliable.

And last, I recall an Ironbutt to Mt. Rushmore a few years back. Kaws, Hondas, Yamahas and one Harley.

Only the Harley had to make a trip to the dealer on day two.

Edited by Tonik

Ok my softail is a 2012 pushing 80,000 miles the only problem was the only rubber hose on the bike started leaking and had to be replace. Not knowing Harleys you picked oe of the most top heavy bike Harley makes. Try a FLSTC. next time if you ever want to rent one again. I ride with a lot of Harley riders and reliability has not been a problem in 20 years. Power wise they get up to the speed limit and have enough power to pass with out any problems. Granted my softail will only do 137mph. But there is not much opportunity around here for that.

And ya the trip to the dealer was to replace the rear tire that the dumb ass tried to make a trip on that already had  8000 miles on it. But the dealer did loan me a brand new loaded Street Glide for the 4 hours it took to get me on the rack. On trips every Harley dealer will put you to the front of the line on the first rack that opens up.  And never have to wait a month to get parts.

Damn, why the hell didn't I take us to 100?

I need a bigger bagger when I rent. It is 2 up for 4 or 5 days. Trunk backrest is pretty mandatory according to the wife.

Doing it again this fall in Vegas. Going to one way it to Seattle.

I'm heading out to Yellowstone (5 days) in July and hitting the Bad Lands (Overnight)on the way there. Then Mount Rushmore (3days)on the way back. My wife is done riding any distance. I think she was only on the bike 1 time last year. She bitches every time the floor boards hit the ground. She says we are to old for that shit. LMAO.

Edited by HeavyDuty
  • Upvote 1

My dad just bought a Sportster 1200. It was delivered to his house Saturday. 1st Harley I ever sat on. It felt surprisingly light. I only sat on it and started it. I could only laugh as it sat there shaking and vibrating under my butt. Not for me, but he’s excited. No he won’t be riding it with me. I’m scared enough for him to be back on 2 wheels. I don’t need to have him trying to follow me and my antics. 

7 hours ago, durk said:

My dad just bought a Sportster 1200. It was delivered to his house Saturday. 1st Harley I ever sat on. It felt surprisingly light. I only sat on it and started it. I could only laugh as it sat there shaking and vibrating under my butt. Not for me, but he’s excited. No he won’t be riding it with me. I’m scared enough for him to be back on 2 wheels. I don’t need to have him trying to follow me and my antics. 

Sportsters tend to be a little top heavy but make good starter bikes. Also Harley makes bikes with counter balanced engines that have no vibration at all. If we run into each other this summer you can check out my Classic it has the counter balanced engine you will be surprised at how smooth it idles the mirrors do not move at all. 

36 minutes ago, HeavyDuty said:

Sportsters tend to be a little top heavy but make good starter bikes. Also Harley makes bikes with counter balanced engines that have no vibration at all. If we run into each other this summer you can check out my Classic it has the counter balanced engine you will be surprised at how smooth it idles the mirrors do not move at all. 

It didn’t seem top heavy just flinging it around standing over it. The Kawasaki Concours, that was top heavy. At speed that Kaw could chew up some asphalt though. Man I miss that bike. 

2 minutes ago, durk said:

It didn’t seem top heavy just flinging it around standing over it. The Kawasaki Concours, that was top heavy. At speed that Kaw could chew up some asphalt though. Man I miss that bike. 

I was comparing it to other Harleys for being top heavy. The Sportster  has a very high seat hight compared to other Harleys making it more top heavy. Don't be afraid to go riding with your dad you can set the pace and build his skill set remember you can only be as good as the best rider you ride with.

• 2 months later...

So it's been a long discussion about what’s the best motorcycle manufacturer company all the time. There are many blogs on the internet with different perspective some says Harley is the best for someone it's BMW, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Ducati, Indian, Victoria, and so on. So everyone has a different point of view regarding this discussion. But I have the best experience with Honda and my brother doesn’t like Harley. In the future, I will also share some authentic information about motorcycles which may clearly describe what’s the best.