Random Thoughts thread

SAMBUSA

On 7/7/2020 at 3:50 PM, TimTheAzn said:

Anyone a member of the Columbus Riders facebook group? Constant entertainment. :lol: What a dumpster fire.

@DerekClouser @jacobhawkins @what

A (young) co-worker is on there.  I'll have to ask him about it.  As far as I can tell, my co-worker isn't a complete squid, only somewhat.

• 3 weeks later...

4 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

If Kawasaki doesn’t release a new Concours, then I figure it’s on the chopping block. Yamaha gave up on the FJR, the sport touring market is really ready for something new.

I think Kawasaki has the best street lineup of any of the Japanese big 4.  Their only holes are a big ADV bike and a big (sporty) tourer, which coincidentally are the only Honda's that are particularly attractive.  Even their dated 1700 cruisers are the only real Japanese competition for HD. 

They need to decide if the Versys 1000 is an ADV bike or a ST to go along with the new N1K.  It 'd be interesting if an updated Concours was a more of a competitor to the GW, but perhaps a bit lighter.

Kawi needs a very low-twenties heavy sport tourer. Just take the Connie and fix everything not perfect... and then add electronic cruise and an Android Auto capable display. It's damn near perfect, now. Why stop this close to a real winner? I think they could skip the satnav and still be on target. The Connie has a strong pedigree. 

GoldWing folks are forever men. No new Concours will steal many of them away. So, let Honda have them and build a real deal tourer without insult of half-assed options and at a price that can be justified for someone with a mortgage and a family of five. 

Edited by Pauly

3 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Kawi needs a very low-twenties heavy sport tourer. Just take the Connie and fix everything not perfect... and then add electronic cruise and an Android Auto capable display. It's damn near perfect, now. Why stop this close to a real winner? I think they could skip the satnav and still be on target. The Connie has a strong pedigree. 

GoldWing folks are forever men. No new Concours will steal many of them away. So, let Honda and BMW have them and build a real deal tourer without insult of half-assed options and at a price that can be justified for someone with a mortgage and a family of five. 

I personally would love to see a sporty tourer (not a cruiser) with real, actual passenger accommodations that doesn't weigh 800lbs.

I think the BMW R1250RT comes closest.  The passenger accommodations are only pretty good, but not good enough for a multi day ride.

30 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I personally would love to see a sporty tourer (not a cruiser) with real, actual passenger accommodations that doesn't weigh 800lbs.

BINGO. This is why I sold the FJR for a wing. Passenger comfort yet sporty enough to keep me happy.

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

I think the BMW R1250RT comes closest.  The passenger accommodations are only pretty good, but not good enough for a multi day ride.

33 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

BINGO. This is why I sold the FJR for a wing. Passenger comfort yet sporty enough to keep me happy.

Maybe the more sportier platforms just don't fit the mold of a 2-up machine at the heavy tourer level. 

24 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Maybe the more sportier platforms just don't fit the mold of a 2-up machine at the heavy tourer level. 

If you put a GW style top box/tour pack on an existing Connie/FJR/RT you'd be 90% done :dunno: it could even be an accessory instead of a new model.

26 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

If you put a GW style top box/tour pack on an existing Connie/FJR/RT you'd be 90% done :dunno: it could even be an accessory instead of a new model.

Yeah, the seat can be made to accommodate but the trunk options are not that comfortable.

29 minutes ago, Pauly said:

Is the subframe rated for more weight? What would a trunk with quality accommodations weigh? 

Id have to check, but IIRC the RT is rated to carry more load than the GW.  Not sure what determines that rating though.  Tires, frame, subframe, brakes???

• 3 weeks later...