Locking bike?

Osiris-016

I have recently purchased a 1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 and am constantly paranoid of theft wherever I go where I have to go more than 50' from it for even a short period of time.

How likely is it for someone to steal my bike? I put the handlebar lock on all the time whenever I leave it, but have recently started using a Padlock around the rear sprocket and chain so it doesn't move backwards and forwards.

Am I overreacting by doing this? Or would you guys say it's generally a good idea to lock my bike?

Thanks

The bike is a pretty nice bike and in good condition for its year. It does get attention, but I also doubt someone would want to steal it as well. Just being cautious.

You have to take into note that I live in Westerville, which barely has a theft rate. That video is pretty insane but if people saw someone do that, they wouldn't get away with it.

What would be the best way to prevent theft if, for some reason, someone decides to take my bike? Is there a way? Do you think the Lock and Padlock would be sufficient enough in my area?

man you must be deep in the ghetto if all you can afford is a 1993 250

j/k

We found it at a garage sale, not running, had been sitting for 7 years, and it was $250. We spent money on a new battery, some body filler for the cracked fairing, and just cleaned the fuel systems and made sure the cylinders weren't seized to the wall and put oil in it. It ran, I rode it :)

I'm sure it gets attention at bike nights, etc. But it doesn't have $$$$ signs that thieves are looking for like liter bikes, Busa's, ZX14's, etc. Dont take offense, its just not worth anything.

Like I said before, a chain/padlock wont stop anyone that really wants it.

What would be the best way to prevent theft if, for some reason, someone decides to take my bike? Is there a way? Do you think the Lock and Padlock would be sufficient enough in my area?

Keep your insurance current and quit worrying about the damn thing. Like what has already been said, its a 93 250 and not exactly high on the list of theft bikes!!! Not to mention you only paid $250 for the stupid thing. Ive lost more money then that at the bar.

Edited by flounder

The bike is a pretty nice bike and in good condition for its year. It does get attention, but I also doubt someone would want to steal it as well. Just being cautious.

You have to take into note that I live in Westerville, which barely has a theft rate. That video is pretty insane but if people saw someone do that, they wouldn't get away with it.

We found it at a garage sale, not running, had been sitting for 7 years, and it was $250. We spent money on a new battery, some body filler for the cracked fairing, and just cleaned the fuel systems and made sure the cylinders weren't seized to the wall and put oil in it. It ran, I rode it :)

lock and padlock isnt going to stop them if they want it man... that thing isnt heavy, someone will just pick it up and throw it in a truck bed and be on their way if thats their thing

maybe if you ran a chain through the frame and shit and locked it around a pole or something, but you wont find a pole to chain your bike to in most parking lots, and realistically, who the hell wants to haul a big ass chain around with them?

stop being paranoid...nobody is going to steal that thing from a parking lot

maybe if you park it outside at night time, someone might snatch it, but not during the day out in public - its not worth their time or energy...its not desireable to part out, its not particularly valuable, nobody is going to steal it for a track bike when theres 30 sport bikes parked in front of iron pony they could grab at any given time

to each their own i guess...i wouldnt bother

Keep your insurance current and quit worrying about the damn thing. Like what has already been said, its a 93 250 and not exactly high on the list of theft bikes!!! Not to mention you only paid $250 for the stupid thing. Ive lost more money then that at the bar.

paying full coverage on the thing would be a waste of a money...he paid $250 for it, the price difference between liability and full coverage would make it a waste of $$ to bother

paying full coverage on the thing would be a waste of a money...he paid $250 for it, the price difference between liability and full coverage would make it a waste of $$ to bother

I didnt say full coverage. Even if it got stolen the deductible would be more then the bike which is what I meant to say as far as not worrying about the damn thing.

He just needs to ride the damn thing and quit worrying about it. If he crashes it or it gets stolen, it was only $250 out of pocket which even if it explodes after a year of ridding, he still got his moneys worth out of it.

I didnt say full coverage. Even if it got stolen the deductible would be more then the bike which is what I meant to say as far as not worrying about the damn thing.

He just needs to ride the damn thing and quit worrying about it. If he crashes it or it gets stolen, it was only $250 out of pocket which even if it explodes after a year of ridding, he still got his moneys worth out of it.

gotcha, i misunderstood

and i had a lapse in memory anyways and forgot that theft is comprehensive, not necessarily full coverage anyways

Think of it this way, if you paid $250 for the bike, a thief would get $20 for it.

I just saw a show on MSNBC the other day of car thieves getting a couple hundred bucks for a $30K SUV. So when you put it in these terms, they aren't likely going to risk grand theft auto charges on the amount of 3 Wendy's value meals and a Frosty Float.

Anyone. Anyone, who wants your bike can have it gone in less than 60 seconds. All it takes is a service van and about 4-5 guys. Steering locks do nothing. Rotor locks? Just remove the wheel.

The safest way to make sure it doesn't get stolen is don't ride it. Put comprehensive coverage on it through insurance (the kind that covers fire, theft, act of God) that way you aren't out.

Think of it this way, if you paid $250 for the bike, a thief would get $20 for it.

I just saw a show on MSNBC the other day of car thieves getting a couple hundred bucks for a $30K SUV. So when you put it in these terms, they aren't likely going to risk grand theft auto charges on the amount of 3 Wendy's value meals and a Frosty Float.

and theyre gonna risk GTA charges for $200? i think your show was misinformed.... fuck, rip the seats out and sell them and you already have twice that much

drivetrain for sale

interior trim pieces

wheels/tires

body panels

theres a ton of money to be made out of a 30k SUV

hell, once you have it gutted and have hundreds of parts you can throw on ebay, you can get out a plasma cutter and hack up the shell and take it to the shredder....if its chopped up, you dont even need a title to turn it in (i know someone who chopped up a foxbody - the whole car - and threw it in his truck bed and dropped it off without a title)

give me a 30k suv and watch me make bank on it lol

maybe if a crackhead stole it and sold it to a chop shop they could only get a few hundred outta it...but crack heads are so desperate they would steal it even if they could only get $20 out of it

It was all undercover hidden camera footage, so I saw it with my own eyes, and heard it with my ears. Could have been edited I suppose, but I know what I saw and heard. And when I saw a couple hundred, I think it was like $500 or $600.

Jokes on those idiots, and I guess that's why they are criminals to begin with.

They're stupid!

It was all undercover hidden camera footage, so I saw it with my own eyes, and heard it with my ears. Could have been edited I suppose, but I know what I saw and heard. And when I saw a couple hundred, I think it was like $500 or $600.

Jokes on those idiots, and I guess that's why they are criminals to begin with.

They're stupid!

were they selling the cars to chop shops or what? i wish someone would sell me a 30k SUV for $500...shit, ide have me a new vmax after going through two of those

a 250 isn't worth taking. That's not an insult to the bike, but the market is flooded with cheap 250 parts already.

hell, if someone stole my 500, I'd expect them to start it, realize it wasn't an I4, and then bring it back and tell me how sorry they were that I have such a shitty bike...

the only thing I'd worry about with your 250 is joy-riders. People who bought a katana, couldn't afford the payment, and had it repo'd. That demographic might take your bike just for shits and giggles, ride it, and wreck it or leave it.

as much as a lock isn't going to stop a serious thief from taking yoru bike, if there's 2 bikes right next to each other, and one has a lock, but the other does, an amateur joy-rider is going to take the one w/o a lock...