Don't trust Independent Motorsports

bandit

I'm not saying you should edit anything. I'm just making sure my posts aren't viewed for more than they are. I don't care what you think about someone. I just hate to see a shitstorm stir.. especially when he said he was going to call the guys at IndMoto and try to set this straight.

Maybe he should have done that before bashing them here. Maybe I go about things differently. I wouldn't run my mouth about being done wrong about a business here before I gave them a chance do hear about it and potentially do something.

I will start another ( maybe, but i doubt it) about my used, but new to me, 2011 Subaru Certified Legacy with 22,000 miles that had a dirty air filter and a cabin filter. The Subaru certified checklist had a check mark next to air filter and cabin filter. I suppose those check marks just indicated that the car was equipped with both those filters, and no indication of condition?

$21 dollars later and 13 minutes of my time and both filters were replaced.

I will start another ( maybe, but i doubt it) about my used, but new to me, 2011 Subaru Certified Legacy with 22,000 miles that had a dirty air filter and a cabin filter. The Subaru certified checklist had a check mark next to air filter and cabin filter. I suppose those check marks just indicated that the car was equipped with both those filters, and no indication of condition?

$21 dollars later and 13 minutes of my time and both filters were replaced.

You got ripped off! :D

So...

Is the air filter just overly dirty in the OPINION of the new owner or was it chock full of shit like a nest or similar? If it is the first mentioned scenario, understand a few things about buying a used bike. When a dealership takes in a new bike, they go over it fairly well. They look at brakes (you didn't bitch), they look at tires (you didn't bitch), they look at the chain (you didn't bitch), they look at the safety controls like levers, bars, controls, etc. (you didn't bitch), they look at overall condition in terms of bodywork, etc. (you didn't bitch).

They should have looked at the air filter as stated above, a lot of times during the spring, there are nests and similar amounts of crap in air boxes. If it were totally packed, they missed that item and you could be bummed out, but honestly, if that was really the only issue, it was a pretty good deal. Now, if it were dirty, they could have looked at it and understand that they could have put money into it to replace those other items or they could have had a good amount into the bike and felt the filter while dirty, wasnt a huge issue and decided to not dump anymore money into it...

No matter what occurred or what the real issue is, the bottom line is that you should have called FIRST. I find it funny that people come on and bitch about customer service or bad business (in their minds) without even calling the shop first. Why would you post a thread to essentially smear a company without trying to call and sort it out first.

Now, had you called and they told you to fuck off, then I understand. But, now if they say the same thing due to this thread, can you really blame them?

Nope, I sure can't. I put the cart before the horse here for sure. I made the wrong assumption that they would tell me to fuck off since I bought the bike with no warranty. The filter, to me, was just an example of what I considered to be their attention to detail. Please give me a little more credit here guys, I PLANNED to change it and the oil as well as a few other things. As I stated here before, I'll try to make things right with them. Even though I might not deserve a second chance, they deserve a first chance. Is that enough to calm everybody down or do I need to apologize to every member here?

• Upvote 2

Some buddies and I recently bought bikes from Independent. On mine particularly, I wanted a service history on the bike or at least the last time something was done, they told me what they had done recently but honestly couldn't tell me anything beyond what they had done so he helped me filled me in on the service intervals on the bike.

They even had my buddies bike in there for some 'routine' things to be done to it and a unfortunate event occurred but both the shop and my buddy came to reasonable terms to overcome the problem that happened.

I've heard all kinds of negative press from other bike shops in the area who have down talked this group. But from personal experience from myself and three of my friends, we've never had an issue with them that hasn't been settled by simply bringing up our concern and how we'd like to have it handled and allowing for small degrees of compromise ... You know ... Being adults.

• Upvote 1

Back off the man, folks....
This. He said he'd handle it.

Actions have consequences. If he can't handle the advice/disapproval of a few people he shouldn't have created this thread. This is a public forum, he opened this issue to public debate and the public doesn't agree with how he handled it. A "cheap lesson" for him but one that might cost Independent Motors $$$$ from people who only read the title and think the place is a con-shop and are swayed from buying a bike from them.

Two wrongs don't make a right but "back off"? Sounds like advice the OP should have heeded before spamming a place of business on public forum filled with motorcyclists. :slap:

Right' date=' but we've discussed his error. He came back, said he was wrong, said he'd try to make it right, and we should move on.[/quote']

Yes, this. We can all be friends again :D Pauly, wanna come over & play barbie cars? My mom said its ok :lolhitsign:

Every bike that is sold through our shop goes through an inspection. Safety issues are taken care of right away, with no questions asked. Other non-safety issues are talked about between myself and the sales department to see if it is something that we would like to repair/fix. Air filters ARE NOT checked in our inspections. Some bikes are very easy to check, and other bikes take much longer to check. As it has been said, we would be losing money if we were to spend 1-2 hours (depending on the bike) to check every single air filter on every single bike we have.

I DO check my techs' work from time to time, and I DO NOT let it go if they say they checked something/did something that they did not do, and that is on every bike we service, not just our sales bikes. I take great pride in having a service department that does great work, and I will continue to run my shop in this manner.

As far as your air filter goes. I would have had NO ISSUE selling you a K&N filter at cost, all you had to do was call the store. I want the customers that come into this shop to have a great experience, and you don't have to spend money in here to get that kind of treatment either.

Feel free to call and talk to me, Casey, when you get free time and we can talk this through. I will still try to do something, even after reading this thread.

• Upvote 3