Stretching Swing Arm

Buckeye4Life

You guys are right, this should be good. But I'm as much interested in the process as actually doing it. If i can take the abuse to fine one good answer, then it'll be worth it in my book. Right now, the way I'm thinking its done is making a z- shaped cut in the swing arm, matching a 4" piece of a second swing arm, putting plugs of smaller pipe in each side, then tig weld, file, paint, and and add a longer chain and brake line.

So i have an 08 GS500f. I am thinking about stretching it about 4", purely for aesthetic purposes. I'm at OSU and have friends in welding engineering, but I may take it elsewhere if need be. What's the "right" way to stretch a swing arm?

You would've been better off replacing the bold words with "because I can't keep the front end down".

You also want to flare out the swing-arm to fit the 330 section rear, right?

Don't forget to strap your front end down to make it match. Lower the bike to the ground with bags and it will complete the look.

Make sure to avoid wearing gear at all times (or replace it with Icon), and isolate your riding to drag racing wherever the most people can see you and the transformation is complete.

:lol:

Seriously, your ride and handling will go to garbage. We'll also be forced to laugh at you.

It can be done with swing-arm extensions, but the "right" way to do it is to weld extensions in the swing-arm. You'll need some skill with a welder, and you'll have to fabricate a jig to make sure all the angles stay true. New chain is a given, and I'd replace all the maintenance related stuff that you have access to once you have the swing-arm off.