yeast pitching

AWW$HEEET

Ive been reading up on creating yeast starters for home brews. I have only brewed once, and I way under pitched. (too little yeast)

How many of you home brewers create a starter, or do you just pitch the yeast straight from the packet?

I created a starter a couple times.

I think its necessary when you are doing big beers like imperial stouts and barley wines. For average strength beers Im too lazy and just pitch straight from the packet/tube.

If you are using dry yeast just buy a second packet for big beers. If you rehydrate the packet according to instruction instead of putting it directly in the wort it will help alot also.

For liquid yeast make sure your wort and yeast are the same temp before pitching. And use yeast that is fresh, not near or after the expiration date. And make sure you keep both kinds of yeast in the fridge until ready to brew.

Craig

Not much I can add to that other than aerate the shit out of your wort. Chucking a long spoon in a cordless drill works pretty good, the more oxygen present the more aerobic activity and reproduction you get befor anaerobic activity and fermentation.