Missed this one yesterday - Tesla to enter NASCAR

Casper

Intriguing idea. I'm curious as to how these will fare against conventional gas racecars with varied pit times, battery packs outlasting the field's gas tanks (or vice versa), will they still meet the weight requirements?

Surely the R&D work will pursue a goal of outperforming the rest of the field and need to be derated - seems a completely different rule set would need to be applied

Intriguing idea. I'm curious as to how these will fare against conventional gas racecars with varied pit times, battery packs outlasting the field's gas tanks (or vice versa), will they still meet the weight requirements?

Surely the R&D work will pursue a goal of outperforming the rest of the field and need to be derated - seems a completely different rule set would need to be applied

Somebody missed the date of the article... ;)

hmmmm Im going with APRIL FOOLS!.

they cant develop a battery that can last 500 miles of hard driving and they cant "refuel" in a 15 second pit. so they would have to swap batteries.

It would only be one battery swap. It'd be easy enough to build a battery tray that simply slides out. Four guys, grab it out, put the new one in, probably much faster than refueling.

The Tesla Cars get about 250 Miles per charge if I remember correctly. but thats highway distance at peak efficiency. So how far will they go at a sustained speed of almost 200MPH. 50 miles 75? I really dont know only speculation i would like to see this actually happen. Im not argueing just thinking out loud.