Changing Stator, Reg/Rectifier & Battery - Any tips

DerekClouser

My Bike : 1998 Honda CBR 900RR

Went out last night w/ a guy from this forum (330racing), hit up some local park twisties and bike started acting real funny - got it home, turned off and went to turn back on immediately and nothing.

Had battery issues, so I went to put on a charge and battery charger gave me an error saying the battery was bad. Did some research online and found out that it was more likely a r/r & stator issue because apparently my bike is known for it. So I decided to just buy a new stator and r/r to replace the OEM parts.

I'm not very mechanical but I'm going to attempt to replace these parts myself (mostly because I want to learn to become self sufficient on my bike) - Anyone have any tips before I do this so I don't mess anything up. I'll be referring to the CBR repair manual but is there any tricks that I should know before heading in such as any specific tools I may need that I may not already have.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Should be able to get it done with allen wrenches and maybe a few sockets. Make sure you have a new stator cover gasket, it might tear when you pull off the stator cover. Not 100% sure on a CBR 900 but you can usually pull the stator cover without draining the oil. A small amout may dribble out, just top it off.

Most importantly, be sure to use locktite on the bolts that hold the stator in place if you replace it. You don't want them coming loose later.

R/R is pretty much plug and play. Check the wires on the bike harness side of the connector and make sure they aren't fried.

Do stators or R/Rs frequently burn out on the 900RR?

Odds are the stator and R/R aren't both bad at the same time. You can test the stator with a voltage meter without opening the cover. If you google 'stator test' you should be able to find the steps.

Yes, but after consulting a local bike mechanic, he recommended replacing both the OEM stator & R/R. He said they are known for going bad and didn't recommend replacing one without the other (he had no sales pitch in the fact he was getting nothing out of it)... I'd rather just replace them both now and not have to worry about it, plus not being overly tech savvy, my troubleshooting skills aren't T1.

Also, if the R/R tends to go on your bike, I wouldn't just replace it with the same crapola that is going to fail again. There's plenty of mosfet style r/r's that you could get to work with your bike. I'd research that on a Honda/CBR forum and I bet you'll find something.

I would just get the R/R they have been bad on the 900 for many years. Big problem is they create a lot of heat and have been known to burn up the harness near the R/R. when replacing the R/R best advice is to apply heat-sink paste between the R/R and the aluminum subframe to help with the cooling.

This has been a problem with all the 900's and VFR's of same years

Also super easy to replace 2 I think 10mm bolts and unplug