the nightmare never-ending 'quick job' build thread

Gixxus Christ!

Ok, so Jamal (malaysianinvasion) stripped out a spark plug hole last fall on his 92 katana 600. He decided to slap a new head and gsxr cams on it, I volunteered my garage and help. He delivers the bike this spring, I begin teardown and while removing the head, drop a washer down the cam chain shaft. A 4 hr job just turned into a 6 hr job. I pull the cyl and we fish out the offending fastner. Jamal comes over today to start the build and discovers that we have a broken ring on #1 cyl. Ffffffffffffffffffuck. This was supposed to be a quick swap and time, now I'm into this job for a base gasket, rings and a hone.

Just felt like bitching.

I sympathize, it seems like I can't to anything without dropping a washer or bolt deep into the engine. I spent like 2 hours changing the air filter in my old 900SS (literally a 5 minute job otherwise) because I dropped one of the filter retaining clamps down into an inaccessible part of the frame.

Ugh, I need to get his bike done and out of my garage so I can get the TL in and fix it, then finish building my motor and finish my superhonda 850 cama-lama-ding-dong cafe racer and penis enlargment project.

Then probably sell all 3 bikes for a fjr or concourse.

Can't put a 750 top on a 600 bottom, 750 has a longer stroke and I am NOT splitting two cases and swapping out a crank, bearings and primary.

Just gonna put new rings on one piston and hone its respective cyl, bolt it up and move on.

Lol ...nah, Jamal is a good, loyal friend and spent a day helping me install new appliances...he's the type of friend that would help you move or hide a body. You don't scrap dudes like that out over a pain in the dick engine rebuild.

Ugh, I need to get his bike done and out of my garage so I can get the TL in and fix it, then finish building my motor and finish my superhonda 850 cama-lama-ding-dong cafe racer and penis enlargment project.

Then probably sell all 3 bikes for a fjr or concourse.

let me know when you are selling the S :D

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, after trying twice on his own and ruining several sets of rings trying to install the cylinder with a hammer I am proud to announce that we got the motor together, timed and fired up this week. The jetting is way fucked and its going to take some tuning to get it right, seems like the mid range is too fat, but only one notch on the needle, so once we take all the shims out we are out of adjustment. Hoping to get it tuned in the next few days so I can roll the TL in and get her sorted out.