scottb

Just returned from a 2 week vacation to Paris and London. All was good except for the rainy and cold weather everyday. The US Dollar isn't worth a darn in Europe. The exchange rate in Paris, the Euro was $1.38 to the dollar and in London the pound was $1.58 to the dollar. Here are the pictures of the Ace Cafe.

P5290370.JPG?gl=US

P5290371.JPG?gl=US

P5290373.JPG?gl=US

P5290374.JPG?gl=US

P5290376.JPG?gl=US

Adding that one to my bucket list. And be glad you had those exchange rates. That is good rates for us to visit Europe. It was nearly twice that, not long ago. Both currencies. Guess I should plan a trip or two.

Any place else worthy that you saw? I'm not big on London, but I wanted to see a few of the British air museums. Battle of Britain mostly.

I think i might have written the rates incorrectly, one Euro was $1.38 and one pound was $1.58, so it did not work in my favor, very expensive. 

We really only had 3 days in London. There is so much to do there depending on what interests you. I did look for Holland and Holland, the shotgun company, but there are 2 streets with the name Bond in them and we ended up going to the wrong one. 

With the train system, you are only a few hours from anywhere. I would have liked to visit some sites in Germany, but ran out of time.

My friend from London Ruedi owns a company called Hotrod Technologies and they specialize in American muscle cars. He owns a 67 Camaro, and a 65 Mustang. He drove us around in his Porsche Cayenne S, right hand drive.

We went to St Paul's church, originally built in 602, Yes, 602. It was rebuilt a few times due to fires.

The wife wanted to see this place due to Princess Dianna was married there. 

Being that June 5th will mark one year of my Father's passing, we stayed for a church service and I lit a candle for him, so that was a neat bonus.

The city of London is 2000 years old. So the varity of buildings are just awesome to see. A few building still have damaged brick and stonework from the war.

Every high end car dealership is there, McLaren, Bugatti had 6 Veyrons in the window, Aston-Martin, 

When I was in Germany, I think the exchange rate was in the 2.00 to 2.50 USD range per Euro everywhere.

But that made the Euro worth a lot, and it could buy a lot. Not counting touristy traps everywhere.

I really liked Austria and the Southern part of Germany (Bavaria).

It was the VAT on small items that hurt. Didn't really want to pay European taxes...

I've been wanting to snoop a bit of England, Scotland, and Ireland.

Edited by ReconRat

When I first moved to Germany right after they changed from marks to euros, it was €0.99 = $1.00.... That was in 2002... By the time I left in 2009 (stationed there with the Army) €0.83 = $1.00. Ya, the dollar isn't worth shit in EU.