Knox Recon Gloves - Scrooge's Approval

RSparky

So, I have some new gloves. My Helds have been wearing worse since I wrecked in them, and busted both palm chunks of Superfabric.

I bought the black Recon gloves from Sportbiketrackgear for $100. http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=6963 They've been running this sale for a little bit, and I figured I'd put the wedding money to good use. Can't justify spending much more than this, especially in my current situation, but I do justify my safety.

SIZING: I have an 8.5 circumference around my knuckles, or metacarpals. The sizing chart reads 8" is small, 9" is medium. 

When I called, the guy told me to get a large. I was all sorts of confused. I got a medium, and it is perfect. Snug, but that's how I like my gloves. I hate when the palm bunches, or the tips are too long. Medium is just right.

COMFORT: The video review on stg praises the between finger ventilation, and so do I. You definitely feel it when you rest your fingers on the levers. There's no ventilation for the back of the hand, but the finger air does a pretty good job of keeping me from sweating too much, but I haven't rode in sweltering weather yet, as it's been good ole rainy Ohio lately. The only thing is, with all the perforation, I don't expect the sides to last if my finger were to get twisted, pinned under me as I slid.

I also want to mention the dexterity. I feel like I can handle my phone, keys, wallet, etc a lot easier with these than my old Helds. That means the leather is seemingly a little thinner, but I'd trust these to save my nails for at least one get-off. I enjoy the ability to buckle my helmet after putting on my gloves. 

The Boa lacing thing is nifty, but I don't see any "improvement" over velcro or zippers. They both pull the wrist area closed. The boa always wants to pull one side just a little tighter than the other, but I believe it is made to. The location where the pads connect to the bottom of the glove is closer to your thumb than your pinky. I think this is because most people will hit on the palm side of the pinky pad area. This puts the big "Guide Shroud" plastic pad directly over that portion. Maybe gauntlet gloves would be a little clunkier if they had the plastic wrist protectors and velcro, so the Boa allows it all to fit better. I'm just speculating here, though. The metal strings of the Boa system do seem strong. I tried to pinch one with my nail to kink it like a wire, but it was unphased. The Boa is also pretty light, so it's not really bad. Just different to me. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

For $100, these were the most glove I could find. Lots of protection, with good ventilation. Excellent finger length and overall snug sizing. The Boa is functional, and I have no doubts in its ability to endure. Maybe unnecessary, but it works. For my commuting riding, these are perfect. As the stg review said, they're not for racing, but you get a lot of those features.