School Me On Road Bikes (pedal Kind)

Anden

I don't know much about them anymore. Looking to get into cycling, and I'm after a good entry level road bike. They just have them broke down into with all kinds of descriptors that I don't know what I'm looking at. Or they all look the same to me.  I am looking to do around 15 to 20 miles a day.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Talk to VanHaren. He is the know-it-all of road bikes. I have already. He will give you the run down of what to look for as far as components and what you should pay for a used bike. Dude gets real in depth.

I think it depends on what you want out of the bike.

Me personally I dont care for the common road racing wanna be bicycles that are the norm. The riding position is too extreme, the rock hard tires make the ride harsh and handling is twitchy. Same reason I don't own a supersport motorbike.

You can get 90+% of the performance with a much more comfortable bike. Cyclecross and light touring frames like the Surly CrossCheck and Jamis Aurora are good all around bikes with better "manners" than the race bikes.

I am a fan of wide dropbars as the extra hand positions allows for more long term comfort and better aerodynamics than most flat bars. 

28mm tires are the narrowest I go, prefer even wider.

But if you want the fastest road bike then look for the race replica bikes. Carbonfiber is usually lighter and more aero than the other materials.

Craig

If buying new shimano 105 components would be as low as I would go

Shimano 105 are an excellent value. Lower and quality is a little questionable. Higher and you are mostly paying for lost grams. 

• 2 years later...

Almost three fucking years later I got a bike. Three years! Trek Domane 4.3, fairly comfortable did six miles no sweat. Yeah I know, six miles isn't much but I've been extra lazy for the last five years.  Nowhere near the level of exhaustion I was feeling when I was playing around on the kid's bike three years ago. 

• Upvote 1