Desecrating Or Freedom Of Speech?

grapesmuggler27

I'm not gay. I agree with being gay though. Whatever floats your boat. Be gay, be straight, be bisexual, or asexual. Have intimate and emotional relationships with whoever you find emotionally, intellectually or sexually attractive so long as you're both of consenting age. I don't find much of it appealing personally, but I'm not in any position to declare what others should or should not find appealing. I also think that if you find someone you want to make your partner for the forseeable future, and they want to be yours for the forseeable future, it shouldn't make any difference what genitals you have in common or not, which shape your chromosomes are, or what gender identity and societal role you choose. None of that should make any difference at all to anyone.

You said you don't "condone" being gay.

And I suggested this is the position and statement of a bigot. (specifically, your refusal to accept these people)

You have every right to be a bigot, I'm just pointing out that it's awfully ignorant to suggest that people's sexual identity or gender preference is subject to your approval.

They have the right to be creative, They have the right to be gay. You have the right to judge them based on their gender preference, and I have the right to point out that your judgement is nonsensical.

Thank you Mr. Webster for that thoughtful insight, and once again you love to use the word bigot very loosely. We are all bigots in some form, do you not grasp that? You seem to be a person that goes about their daily grind and life with the mentality of "whatever, who gives a shit", am I accurate in that assessment? If something or somebody does not affect YOU personally, then you have no problem with it.  And just because a person does not condone something, does not make them any better nor any worse than another person. I do not condone allot of things nor is everything OK in my mind, however a person being gay is not something that bothers me in the least bit. I do not pity them, think less of them, feel repulsed by them.....they are who they are, at least now many can finally stop living a lie.

That is not desecrating the flag, that is not the American flag. And as far as the American flag goes, not really sure what it symbolizes anymore.

I'll throw the word bigot around if it applies... Sure.

I guess I'm slightly bigoted towards bigots... which is kind of an oxymoron if you think about it... not tolerating intolerance.

The American flag (to me) symbolizes a particular set of borders in north America, and it's citizens. I have personal differences with many of those citizens, but they are still my neighbors and countrymen. I've never been the most patriotic person and find patriotism alone a poor philosophy to live by. Yes, all things being equal, I will support my country over another, but then it's rarely the case that all things are equal.

This country is my home. I was born here. Unless something major changes, I'll live the majority of my life here, and die here.

In the mean time, I'll do what is reasonable to make my home country the best it can be.

I'll throw the word bigot around if it applies... Sure.

I guess I'm slightly bigoted towards bigots... which is kind of an oxymoron if you think about it... not tolerating intolerance.

The American flag (to me) symbolizes a particular set of borders in north America, and it's citizens. I have personal differences with many of those citizens, but they are still my neighbors and countrymen. I've never been the most patriotic person and find patriotism alone a poor philosophy to live by. Yes, all things being equal, I will support my country over another, but then it's rarely the case that all things are equal.

This country is my home. I was born here. Unless something major changes, I'll live the majority of my life here, and die here.

In the mean time, I'll do what is reasonable to make my home country the best it can be.

So when and in how do you go about applying the "label" of calling a person a bigot? For example......  are YOU not a bigot against Christianity and Christians in general, do you condone Christianity? Think carefully before you answer, I am sure many see where I am going with this. We are all flawed in some way, others will see what they consider to be a flaw and others will not consider it a flaw. Different ways of thinking and perceiving something or somebody is nothing new, and thankfully that is how it is. However many can take things too far, and this is also nothing new. The human species is a mess, we are our own worst enemy more times than not.

So when and in how do you go about applying the "label" of calling a person a bigot? For example......  are YOU not a bigot against Christianity and Christians in general, do you condone Christianity? Think carefully before you answer, I am sure many see where I am going with this. We are all flawed in some way, others will see what they consider to be a flaw and others will not consider it a flaw. Different ways of thinking and perceiving something or somebody is nothing new, and thankfully that is how it is. However many can take things too far, and this is also nothing new. The human species is a mess, we are our own worst enemy more times than not.

Thinking...

Nope, not bigoted towards Christians (or by extension Christianity). Do I think their ideas about the universe (and history) are factually incorrect, and unimaginative, yes absolutely.

Some of my favorite people are Christians. It (their particular religion) brings them solace in emotionally trying times, and in some cases gives them a motivation to be better people.

I also believe Christianity can and does have some nasty negative implications and repercussions for many people.

"Do I condone Christianity?" That's a loaded question. "When did you stop beating your wife?" We've not established that you had started beating your wife or even that you were married.

We haven't established that someone's religion is something that requires condoning.

I do enjoy this thoughtful discussion.  

Thinking...

Nope, not bigoted towards Christians (or by extension Christianity). Do I think their ideas about the universe (and history) are factually incorrect, and unimaginative, yes absolutely.

Some of my favorite people are Christians. It (their particular religion) brings them solace in emotionally trying times, and in some cases gives them a motivation to be better people.

I also believe Christianity can and does have some nasty negative implications and repercussions for many people.

"Do I condone Christianity?" That's a loaded question. "When did you stop beating your wife?" We've not established that you had started beating your wife or even that you were married.

We haven't established that someone's religion is something that requires condoning.

I do enjoy this thoughtful discussion.  

Good enough for me. However, we have also not established that homosexuality is something that requires condoning, therefore a person should not be called a bigot when they do not agree with or understand it. That make sense at all? To condone an action, person, belief, whatever........there is just too many variables for or against something for everyone to agree on or disagree on. We are creatures of habit, we have a pack mentality, and we all see things differently.

• Upvote 1

He used the phrase "I do not condone it"

But since we are on condoning and Christianity, I can tell you that I do not condone a number of atrocities perpetrated by the religion's largest church. If you want a definition for "evil", "causing unnecessary human suffering" would be at the top of my list for attempting to define such an abstraction.

The church is responsible for plenty of it.

He used the phrase "I do not condone it"

But since we are on condoning and Christianity, I can tell you that I do not condone a number of atrocities perpetrated by the religion's largest church. If you want a definition for "evil", "causing unnecessary human suffering" would be at the top of my list for attempting to define such an abstraction.

The church is responsible for plenty of it.

What is wrong with a person saying "I do not condone it"? We all have some kind of belief system, and we are all never gonna agree on what is right and wrong. Yin-Yang could not be more true, everything has an opposite.....but they are interconnected and cannot exist without the other.

What is wrong with a person saying "I do not condone it"? We all have some kind of belief system, and we are all never gonna agree on what is right and wrong. Yin-Yang could not be more true, everything has an opposite.....but they are interconnected and cannot exist without the other.

By using the word "condone" you have judged them as being "bad".

Saying "I don't condone being gay" is as stupid as saying "I don't condone people who like chocolate ice cream more than vanilla"

or

"I don't condone people who like shrimp or lobster" (an apt example if you know your bible)

I think It's time you repent for your shellfish eating lifestyle.