oil

Repsol250

Hello Rider's

I got a new bike and got the 600 mile brake in service with a dealership. Now I've been riding for 2700 miles now. If i go on a highway ride and check oil next mornin i am having to put a lil oil in it. now this happens also if i drive 50 60 miles on the 35 mph streets but takes 2 days before i see i need to put a lil oil in it. ok i don't have oil anywhere on the bike, the drain hose is dry, and when i start the bike or anytime the bike is running i dont get any smoke. the end of the exhaust is a lil dark but no worse then a car exhaust gets. in 2700 miles i have added 1.5 qts in very small amounts. Is this normal. now i did replace the exhaust, air filter and front sprocket if this would matter. please help so i know if i need to put the factory things back on and take it to the dealership.

If you are habitually over filling it, oil could be coughed out via crank vent etc. Typically anywhere between the two lines on the sight glass while the bike is vertical ie off the stand is fine. How are you checking the oil, I'm not familiar with the bike, does it have a dip stick or sight glass?

The stealership may tell you that this is normal oil consumption. Just for your reference, I've put over 9,000 miles on my cbr250r & it consumed no oil between 4,000 mile oil changes. This is with running it WOT much of the time. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

If you are habitually over filling it, oil could be coughed out via crank vent etc. Typically anywhere between the two lines on the sight glass while the bike is vertical ie off the stand is fine. How are you checking the oil, I'm not familiar with the bike, does it have a dip stick or sight glass?

sight glass

The stealership may tell you that this is normal oil consumption. Just for your reference, I've put over 9,000 miles on my cbr250r & it consumed no oil between 4,000 mile oil changes. This is with running it WOT much of the time. Good luck.

ok guess im taking it in cause im not over filling because ive never seen the oil touch the top lineand i do what manual says to do to check it, let it run 3 minutes then sit in up right position for 2 min then chack glass and its always close to bottom line

Checked the radiator for oil skim at the cap? Does the oil appear milky at all? "Possible" its a defective head gasket. Just a thought. If the blowby line out of the crankcase isn't wet, then its likely burning it. That new of a bike, I'd take it into the dealer and see what they can find

Checked the radiator for oil skim at the cap? Does the oil appear milky at all? "Possible" its a defective head gasket. Just a thought. If the blowby line out of the crankcase isn't wet, then its likely burning it. That new of a bike, I'd take it into the dealer and see what they can find

No i didnt check the radiator cap and no the crank tube isnt wet and oil only looks black in color or really dark brown and yes i had it since 1 mile so i will spend the 30 min to put all the factory stuff back on so the dealer can fix this issue. thanks i figured something isnt right.

I once had a old fz 600 with several miles on it and did almost the very same thing. I did a lot of highway driving so the rev,s were in the 5000-5300 range. If I was putting around in town at lower revs I didn't have to do it as often. I wound think 2700 miles the rings are probably seating. Did you break it in highway rev,s or in town driving. I was always taught that the influx in rpm,s was better to break rings in

I once had a old fz 600 with several miles on it and did almost the very same thing. I did a lot of highway driving so the rev,s were in the 5000-5300 range. If I was putting around in town at lower revs I didn't have to do it as often. I wound think 2700 miles the rings are probably seating. Did you break it in highway rev,s or in town driving. I was always taught that the influx in rpm,s was better to break rings in

i live in an area where the speed limits very on every street from 35, 45, and 55. and i have rode on the highway sometimes once i got the 600 mile service. because i was still waiting to finish the OMC for the endorsement. So you think the rings arent fully set yet? i do downshift to feel a small drag cause some people say that helps set the rings too. nothing crazy tho, i never lock the wheels up lol

Edited by Repsol250