Gun seen on adult at school, cops called? Oh wait....

madcat6183

I meant, does he always OC to pick his children up from school?  Or, was he trying to make a gun rights statement?

Yea, I see your point and I don't know.  I was at an Apple store the other night and a guy was open carrying a 1911 in a nice Galco holster.  Nobody was visibly freaked out, but someone called Easton security (probably policy) and they calmly talked with the guy and convinced him to leave it in the car.  He returned with his empty holster still on, which made it obvious to me he intended to make a statement from the beginning.  I mean, why announce loudly to everyone that you're unarmed unless self-defense was never the primary goal?

Anyway...

• Upvote 2

School safety zones

A "school safety zone" includes a school, school building, school premises, school activity, and school bus. For purposes of this statute, a school includes everything up to the property boundary.

If you are licensed to carry a concealed handgun, you may carry a handgun into a school safety zone only if you do not enter a school building, school premises, or school activity. You also must not be in one of the places listed in ORC 2923.126(B). You may be in a motor vehicle and immediately in the process of picking up or dropping off a child. You also must comply with all other laws governing the transportation of firearms in a motor vehicle.

I trust Parks knows his stuff with regard to the laws regarding guns...

I'm glad you do.

I know they updated some of the laws on this to where you can have a firearm locked in a vehicle on government property and schools as long as there are no signs posted saying there are no firearms to be on the property.

ORC 2923.122

(3) This section does not apply to a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into, or possesses a handgun in, a school safety zone if, at the time of that conveyance, attempted conveyance, or possession of the handgun, all of the following apply:

(a) The person does not enter into a school building or onto school premises and is not at a school activity.

(b) The person is carrying a valid concealed handgun license.

© The person is in the school safety zone in accordance with 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B).

(d) The person is not knowingly in a place described in division (B)(1) or (B)(3) to (10) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.

I honestly don't know how a CHL holder is supposed to stay abreast on this stuff. Leave the gat at home and you don't benefit from having it on you. Bring it along and you have to obsess over whether you can even get out of your car.

I honestly don't know how a CHL holder is supposed to stay abreast on this stuff. Leave the gat at home and you don't benefit from having it on you. Bring it along and you have to obsess over whether you can even get out of your car.

The laws of the State of Ohio are always available for you or any other citizen to read.  It's your responsibility to comply with the law; not the State's responsibility to make every last citizen aware of the political process they're presumed to be actively participating in. 

as an aside, it would be helpful if the news would actually report stuff like this, rather than racing to the bottom in an effort to be the most entertaining option.

This is updated daily http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/

It will include effective and expiration dates when applicable.  It will not simply disappear when it expires though.  Law enforcement agencies still have to be able to apply the old law if a crime was committed when it was effective.

Edited by redkow97

This is updated daily http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/

It will include effective and expiration dates when applicable.  It will not simply disappear when it expires though.  Law enforcement agencies still have to be able to apply the old law if a crime was committed when it was effective.

That is where I pulled mine from.

Weird, used to be able to have it in a locked vehicle on grounds, I know when I took my class you could, because I brought up my campus since I was a college student.  I wonder however what exactly "locked vehicle" is considered, as I have a Bulldog vault in my car for locking up my firearm.  Interesting as to the changes, kinda make it pointless to even carry if you have kids, which is epic, total BS.